PDA

View Full Version : SET rating on JAA PPL

Kian133
3rd Nov 2006, 13:55
Hi,

I recently telephoned the CAA with regards to gaining an exemption for a Single Engine Turbine Rating on my JAR PPL(A), following flying the tucano. The answer was planely - NO! I didnt bother asking the same question of a night rating! Does anyone know if this is possible?

So if a person can successfully fly an aircraft in the military, and can log the hours in thier civillian logbook (they agreed that this was ok!), I would have thought it would be possible to convert this to the PPL as an SET rating. Anyone got any similar experiences or advice?

cheers.

Stan Evil
3rd Nov 2006, 20:50
There is no such thing as a generic SET class rating. There are some specific SET classes such as Cessna SET and Pilatus SET but these only cover certain aeroplanes. Anything of a higher performance, such as a PC-9 or a PA-46 has its own type rating. There is no type rating for the Tucano as there are none on the civil register in Europe so you can't have a Tucano type rating.

A little research in LASORS might have helped you answer this question yourself.

MrBernoulli
3rd Nov 2006, 21:00
Send a polite PM to BEagle. He is your friendly, former military, still pilot type of chap who had a BIG hand in the military dispensations in the UK JAR licensing. Knows the stuff backwards.

Kian133
3rd Nov 2006, 21:18
Thanks for the replies! I did have a brief look at lasors in which I just picked up the SET rating, but did not realise that it was type specific. They did not mention this fact either when speaking to the CAA! Now much wiser! thank you!!!