PDA

View Full Version : Old Air Clues help needed.

jimgriff
2nd Nov 2006, 18:13
Once again I turn to these hallowed halls for some assistance.

Alex F.C.Roberts wrote an article in Air Clues. I cannot remember the name of the article, but I have a vague memory that he wrote it in response to a request from the Editor, for pilots to write about Ejector Seat malfunctions that they had experienced--and without confusing the issue, because I could be wrong about this, but again I have a vague feeling that it (the article) followed the inadvertent ejection of the Test Pilot from a Harrier who got sucked out through the canopy, which tore the chute and he was
sadly killed.
His own incident, had some similarity. It occured on Dec 12th 1959, and both his and the navigators seats were not correctly installed. During a high-speed negative g manoeuvre, both seats moved up the rails.
His cracked the canopy, but fortunately that stopped the drogue-gun firing. The navigators seat moved a bit further, and the drogue-gun did fire. Fortunately he had instructed him to get out of the seat because as they descended through 10000ft, the barostat functioned and his main chute was pulledthrough his overhead hatch. When they landed his chute was draped along the top of the fuselage.!
He was flying a modified Canberra B2.

Any help in finding the article would be much appreciated.
Any old copies of Air Clues looking for a retirement home are also most welcome.

regards to one and all
Jimgriff

Skeleton
2nd Nov 2006, 18:41
Any old copies of Air Clues looking for a retirement home are also most welcome.

Jimgriff

This is a good place to start Jim.

Air Clues For Sale (http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-AIR-CLUES-Magazines-and-others-1960s-70s_W0QQitemZ160046365224QQihZ006QQcategoryZ64803QQcmdZViewI tem)

Ali Barber
3rd Nov 2006, 05:24
I would suggest SO2 Pubs at the Defence Aviation Safety Centre at Bentley Priory. They have probably got all the back copies of Air Clues. Get his address from the wiring diagram here: http://192.5.30.131/linked_files/dasc/news/DASC_Orgintnet.pdf

jimgriff
3rd Nov 2006, 11:21
My only problem is I am not sure what date this article was written. I have tried the National Library of Wales (copyright library) to see if they have Airclues, but unbelievably, they dont!!

Help still needed. pretty please?

WhiteOvies
3rd Nov 2006, 12:58
A Freedom of Information request to the DASC might do it. How to make a request is quite straightforward and detailed on the MOD's website. There is a required timeframe for a reply as well but I can't remember how long it takes I'm afraid.
Hope this helps. :)

Mike Read
3rd Nov 2006, 13:33
07NOV57, 229 OCU Chivenor. A student on air/air firing in Hunter F4 flamed out near Lundy. He ejected and was witnessed by the tug pilot but the parachute didn't deploy. Nothing found. However, it subsequently transpired that a considerable number of the fleet (of which there must have been some 70 aircraft) had the drogue gun line incorrectly routed which would have prevented parachute deployment and probably resulted in the ejectee being beaten about the head by a lump of steel.

Blakey875
3rd Nov 2006, 14:54
Hi Guys, I think possibly the reason why getting hold of Air Clues is so difficult is because they had the Security Classification 'RESTRICTED' and so were not for general issue. Even with the passing of time some people still get 'twitchy' about security.