PDA

View Full Version : Resettlement courses, what did you do?

will fly for food 06
2nd Nov 2006, 16:06
Good evening, i am posting to enquire what courses people did who were leaving the military. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the whole process. Thanks in advance.

movadinkampa747
2nd Nov 2006, 16:24
You could try this.........
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39452000/jpg/_39452326_lapdance203.jpg
Servicewoman funded to pole dance
Pole dancer
The MoD offered to pay for a pole dancing training programme
The Ministry of Defence has paid for a former RAF senior aircraftwoman to become a pole dancer.
Stephanie Hulme, 23, was funded to take up the profession after completing five years' service.
Her training was carried out through an RAF resettlement and training programme which reportedly cost over £2,000 over four weekends.
The move has allowed her to pursue a career as a pole dancer at a club in London.

Do you have legs like that?

will fly for food 06
2nd Nov 2006, 16:37
Only at weekends. But seriously im trying to see if i can get funding for my class one medical and skills assesment to convert to an ATPL. I guess thats going to be hard to try and convince them to pay for.

ident80enter
2nd Nov 2006, 16:43
Why did she waste her resettlement grant? She could have gone to the goose in MPA and learnt for free. Failing that the pole at Byron Heights is always available and there is always a most appreciative audience. Byron boys are on the P$%s again!:bored:

Charlie Luncher
2nd Nov 2006, 19:20
I lived in a 5* foxhole on a florida beach diving and drinking beer for 6 weeks.
It was tough
Charlie sends:ok:

FormerFlake
2nd Nov 2006, 19:36
I spent 2 weeks on an AA approved course fixing broken down cars, lots of fun.

will fly for food 06
2nd Nov 2006, 19:39
Thanks. Any of it help?

threepointonefour
2nd Nov 2006, 19:56
Resettlement time = 35 working days
Terminal Leave = 28 days

Resettlement grant = £534

Service pay for accom and travel (rules apply ie, UK!) for any course you wish to do. If cse is 4 days, then you must use 4 days of your resettlement time.

You can use your ELC too £1/2000 per year and you also have your annual education allowance £175 (up to 80% of the fees).

Have a look at 'Quest', 'Pathfinder' etc for courses - the bricklaying and plastering seems popular, as is basic plumbing. I knew someone who did painting and decorating and claimed it was the best course he'd ever done in the air force!
__

petefreak
2nd Nov 2006, 21:02
Done a Gas course and got my ACS cert in Feb of this year, best thing i've every done.Cost about 3 grand thank you very much andrew

movadinkampa747
2nd Nov 2006, 21:05
Thanks. Any of it help?

I doubt very much that becoming the 4 th emergency service and learning to dive would help you get a class 1 medical and an ATPL.

will fly for food 06
2nd Nov 2006, 21:12
I doubt very much that becoming the 4 th emergency service and learning to dive would help you get a class 1 medical and an ATPL.

Lol. sorry i meant if they had found the training useful in their chosen careers. I am planning to go accross to the airlines so would only try and push for that.

FormerFlake
2nd Nov 2006, 21:31
Thanks. Any of it help?

I got offered a job with the AA after my course, decided to move out to Portugal though.

I do manage to fix cars for friends though!

gonesurfin
2nd Nov 2006, 22:35
Six weeks on Oahu, hawaii, kiteboard and windsurfing instructors course....and now a pension that is worth twice what it would be in the UK! Best thing I've ever done! I have a house half a mile from Kailua beach; when it's windy, that's where you'll find me! Priceless. Er.. the beach not the house.

1771 DELETE
2nd Nov 2006, 22:36
I lived in a 5* foxhole on a florida beach diving and drinking beer for 6 weeks.
It was tough
Charlie sends:ok:

I was`nt lucky enough to have a Florida foxhole but instead had to slum it in Cape Town for 6 weeks doing some diving and sailing, needless to say it was that the last good jolly from Betty :)

allan907
3rd Nov 2006, 00:41
Did a month's Domestic Appliance Repair course at Alder****. Worthwhile course, got a City and Guilds certificate, and haven't used the skills learnt since I did the course in 93. The guys doing the general building skills course seemed to be have a lot more fun though - and probably have used their skills much more.

Roadster280
3rd Nov 2006, 02:04
Got my job sorted 6 months before my exit date. Part of job was teaching resettlement students! So used resettlement time as extra leave, as above, just "working", hence got paid by Aunty Betty while being paid by new company teaching service leavers. It's a funny old world.

will fly for food 06
3rd Nov 2006, 07:54
Six weeks on Oahu, hawaii, kiteboard and windsurfing instructors course....and now a pension that is worth twice what it would be in the UK! Best thing I've ever done! I have a house half a mile from Kailua beach; when it's windy, that's where you'll find me! Priceless. Er.. the beach not the house. Another surfer, lucky chap.

TMJ
3rd Nov 2006, 08:34
You could try this.........
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39452000/jpg/_39452326_lapdance203.jpg
Servicewoman funded to pole dance
Pole dancer
The MoD offered to pay for a pole dancing training programme
The Ministry of Defence has paid for a former RAF senior aircraftwoman to become a pole dancer.
Stephanie Hulme, 23, was funded to take up the profession after completing five years' service.
Her training was carried out through an RAF resettlement and training programme which reportedly cost over £2,000 over four weekends.
The move has allowed her to pursue a career as a pole dancer at a club in London.

Do you have legs like that?

I was on JOCC earlier this year and this case came up in the discip/admin action lecture about what constitutes unacceptable behaviour. When we were asked whether this did one of the guys on the cse piped up that he didn't think so as he'd signed off her resttelement application...

DownloadDog
3rd Nov 2006, 08:38
All depends if you are a Qualified Service Pilot and how many hours you have.

You should be able to get a Class 1 Medical by going to an SMO qualified to do initial issue. There are several in the RAF and it works out considerably cheaper than going to Gatwick.

As for getting an ATPL you'll need to do Groundschool. If you have >2000hrs military time, you can do a Bridging Course (Done by www.bristol.gs (http://www.bristol.gs)). If you don't, you need to do all 14 ATPL exams, should cost £1900 but you can use £1000 of ELC to pay for it. If you are on resettlement then you can use ELCs for whatever you want. (Bristol again is the place to do them)

As regards getting a ME/IR which is needed to get a Frozen ATPL use one the flying clubs at Exeter. Should cost around £7000, provided you have held a Procedural Green Rating in the last 3 years. Again ELCs can help towards the cost.

Oh, you'll also need a Multi Crew Co-operation Certificate, cost upwards of £2000 before you can legally work as a commercial pilot. Again, you can use ELCs to part fund it.

will fly for food 06
3rd Nov 2006, 11:23
Thanks, some very useful stuff again. Unfortunately i only have 350 hours and only ever held a white rating. More questions to follow but looks like il have to do a full ATPL course for which i have the funds ready.

Wannabe1974
3rd Nov 2006, 16:18
I am likewise leaving the forces to pursue a career in civil aviation, although I am not a military pilot. I found the Career Transition Workshop to be really useful. It is 3 days long and helps you to adjust to civvy life. Particularly impressive was the CV writing module which you might think is easy to do. However it isn't easy to do well. The course I did was run by a woman who is a very experienced HR expert. I have to be honest I was only really looking on it as 3 days off work (I have a very co-operative Boss!) but I learnt loads and thought it to be really worth attending.
Aside from that, I start my ATPL course during my 5 week resettlement period, which means that I can claim all sorts of subsistence type payments during that 5 weeks and keep getting paid until the end of my terminal leave (nearly 2 months into the course). I am having a bit of a snag with ELCs as my course is an integrated (please don't shout at me) one which means that technically I should only receive one payment of £1000 for the whole thing despite it falling over a 3 financial year period.
Hope that helps?

Pontius Navigator
5th Nov 2006, 17:51
4 weeks in India all expenses paid and rate 1's and separation pay as well.:)

Oh and an H&S course at Tidworth. Good VFM.

Megaton
5th Nov 2006, 18:44
Did MCC at Oxford. Not particularly useful but it didn't tax the brain too much!

BEagle
5th Nov 2006, 19:52
6 weeks of PVR-porridge at Binnsworth doing a non-job (sorted it out in 3 days, then just twiddled my thumbs) but the chap I worked for knew that I'd been shafted by a vindictive little $...

Then a summer doing nothing apart from 'working in my own time' as previously approved, so quite legally earning money as a 'part-time consultant' when not flying puddlejumpers or enjoying the freedom - and still on Aunty Bettie's salary. Apart from one wasted day at Aldershot learning nothing useful, that is. What an utter dump that place is - I'd expected all white kerbstones and spit and polish.... but it was like the worst sink housing estate imagineable.

28 days before leaving, permitted to take on full-time work. I think I was staying in a 4-star hotel on the shore of Lake Constance on my actual exit date.

Never did get a farewell interview from the Stn Cdr - nothing in it for him, I guess....

Pontius Navigator
5th Nov 2006, 20:29
Never did get a farewell interview from the Stn Cdr - nothing in it for him, I guess....

I had a fairwell (sic) interview when I left. Can't remember his name and he certainly didn't welcome me back either unlike his two predecessors who I still see from time-to-time.

Had one 1369 interview (not) before a sqn cdr departed. The message was he would be available from x to y for 1369 debriefs 'if we wanted'. I exercise the do nothing option. Even got a reminder call and a shocked look when I said thank you but no thank you. How can you sit with a straight face when you have no repect for the guy?

Snakecharmer
6th Nov 2006, 12:49
Can't remember the detail but by judicious use of SLCs, ELCs, resettlement, leave etc, I'd done Bristol Groundschool, Multi Engine Piston Class Rating and IR (Oxford) and MCC Course (Atlantic - Coventry) by the time the calendar said I'd left.

And I got the 'valedictory letter' that I'd specifically asked not to have!:ugh: