PDA

View Full Version : Class One & Psychlogical Issues

VFE
2nd Nov 2006, 12:54
Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone knows whether the CAA have an exhaustive list of what psychological problems would exclude somone from obtaining a JAA Class One medical? Purely our of curiosity (as far as I know I'm just about 'psychologically sound'!) but for example; would aspergers, ADHD, autism, bi-polar or any particular mental condition be automatic 'no-goers' or are these things delt with on a individual basis? Is it a requirement to disclose dyslexia for example and would this cause problems? Would a previous case of depression exclude someone from having a class one even? It is one of those questions which I keep meaning to find out!

Anyone got any insight into this or is it all too sensitive to be made common knowledge through a definative policy?

Cheers,

VFE.

docash1983
2nd Nov 2006, 18:35
Not sure about the rest but I know that you are not at liberty to disclose dyslexia. They cannot prevent you from applying etc, as this would be discrimination and hence illegal. Some doctors are dyslexic and this has not prevented them, so it would not prevent you or anybody else with dyslexia. However I am unaware of any help which maybe offered to a dyslexia sufferer from a training facility such as CTC or oxford, does anybody know if they do?
Any way hope this clears that point up for you.
Docash1983

niknak
2nd Nov 2006, 20:01
As part of the class one medical application process, you are required to decalre a fairly exhaustive list of conditions if they are applicable.

Even if you knowingly failed to mention a condition to them (which is a prosecutable offence) and got your Class one, I am pretty sure that any of the conditions menioned would become evident in the application and training process of either pilot or ATCO training.

The CAA medical branch are very helpful and will do their absolute utmost to assist, but you have to accept that ultimately, if their is the remotest chance of you throwing a wobbly whilst flying or controlling, they won't give you the certificate.

I would speak to them and ask their opinion, at least you'll know.

All the best.

Hawk
2nd Nov 2006, 21:35
VFE..don't forget to check the box that asks whether you've got a five finger handspan on the Hammond. :p

VFE
2nd Nov 2006, 22:15
Heh heh... :}

Couldn't remember what was included on the class one application but that's interesting re: dyslexia, at least.

Cheers,

VFE.

Farrell
4th Nov 2006, 15:22
You have to be bonkers to consider getting into this flying game anyway!

VFE
4th Nov 2006, 16:25
Haha! My thoughts exactly Farrell! :}

Cheers for the info robbor - might be worth having a look at, it's quite an interesting subject really. My view is that most people on this planet are mad or at least in possession of some 'quirks', shall we say, but it's just a matter of who can hide it better! ;)

VFE.