PDA

View Full Version : Moving Data from old HDD to New HDD in a New PC

Hew Jaz
2nd Nov 2006, 08:42
Help..!

I'm looking for advice please.

Have an older pc (Win ME) and now wish to transfer data / settings / emails / address book / etc etc to a new hdd in a new(er) pc running XP, with the least pain possible.

I installed the old hd into the new pc and it was recognised, but as pc had booted using XP, the old hdd just showed various folders, but not the programs - ie Outlook Express didn't show up, I presume as it hadn't started in ME. (Outlook Express did show up under XP, but as a new copy).

Is there any easy way of doing it? There are a number of email addresses being used, and it could become tedious setting them all up again on the new pc. Also, there are the various downloaded programmes etc that I would like to transfer across as well. Never mind all the documents that I want to transfer.

What I really want is the new pc running everything under XP, that the old pc did under ME.

Thanks in advance.

Saab Dastard
2nd Nov 2006, 11:08
MS thoughtfully provided a Wizard with XP to do precisely that - it's called the User Setting Migration Wizard or somesuch.

Basically it allows you to copy most of your personal settings to a file which you can then move to a new PC and import.

Note - it only works for the currently logged-on user, so if multiple users need to be migrated you have to run it for each.

SD

BOAC
2nd Nov 2006, 11:52
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321197

exeng
2nd Nov 2006, 16:37
I've just used this program on my Son's PC to shovel the whole lot on to a new hard disk.

After it was done the PC booted into XP as normal - and all the programs operated normally with all data intact.

I obtained the program for free on a magazine disc. (We like free!)

Regards
Exeng

spannersatcx
2nd Nov 2006, 17:15
How to back up and recover Outlook Express data (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670/en-us?spid=2578&sid=global)

exeng, not sure that that would be any use in this case doesn't that just do the whole disk rather than specific data?

exeng
2nd Nov 2006, 18:24
You are correct.

I'd failed to read paragraph 2 properly.

Regards
Exeng

Hew Jaz
2nd Nov 2006, 21:14
Thanks for the replies so far - will see how I get on..!

HJ
:ok: