PDA

View Full Version : Which headset & where to buy?!

Merritt
1st Nov 2006, 07:53
Apologies for the probably silly question but im about to embark upon my PPL and want to buy a good headset before I start. I notice that there are hundreds of different ones available so Im after recommendations for good quality at reasonable cost.... Any good deals to be had at the moment?

Thanks

Steve M

xraf
1st Nov 2006, 08:12
The first thing to do is check the connections in the particular aircraft you are going to fly. There are several types and if you get the wrong one it can be an expensive error. (E.g. watch out for the Sennheiser ANR, its good kit but their connectors are different to everyones and there are no multi connectors for them.) Also, if you buy one and you change to an aircraft that doesnt use them you are back to square one!:ugh:

Any flying school worth its salt will have headsets in their aircraft, I agree that sometimes they can be a bit grotty and most people do eventually get their own but if its all new to you the best idea is to try a few different ones before investing in your own.

Happy flying:ok:
Xraf

hobbit1983
1st Nov 2006, 08:37
Can highly recommend the David Clark 13.4 - got mine in the States, so it was around 180 quid, but I think Transair do them for about 200, which IMHO is a fair price.

NB. If there are any of those Google ads at the bottom of their post, I'm not advertising/selling, merely commenting! Not connected to DC/Transair in any way (except buying)

Merritt
1st Nov 2006, 08:44
Thanks guys -

Ive just spent the last half hour reading hundreds of similar posts via the search menu (I know - should have done that first!!)

The 13.4 gets lots of positive comments and so do the Bose X (at £700 it needs to!)

Im beginning to think its worth starting my flying before buying??

Steve

HAL-26
1st Nov 2006, 10:05
Thanks guys -

Im beginning to think its worth starting my flying before buying??

Steve

Probably is Steve. Most flying schools have good headsets in their aeroplanes and they''ll be matched sets, so you won't have any compatibility problems.

If you're looking for a lower cost headset, I can recommend the SkyLite headsets offered for around £70, via E-bay by DavidJKnight of Shrewsbury.

I'm not an agent or anything, just a happy customer, although I've just ordered another one from him this week, so I might ask him for a discount now!:)

Oxeagle
1st Nov 2006, 10:42
I purchased my own Sennheiser HMEC 100 after reading a review and comparison against other similarly priced models back in May. For the price it's a good bit of kit: reasonably comfortable, good speaker and microphone quality, rugged design and comes with a headset bag. I got mine for £160 from the AFE store at EGTK, but I think it is £140 now. Well worth considering! :ok:

dublinpilot
1st Nov 2006, 11:42
If you're looking for a lower cost headset, I can recommend the SkyLite headsets offered for around £70, via E-bay by DavidJKnight of Shrewsbury.

I bought one of these headsets from ebay (about €50) admittedly from a different dealer, and got what I paid for. I found the sound quality to be terrible (like listening to something down a metal pipe), and my passenger reported that it was very hard to hear what I was saying. I used it for a few minutes to see what it was like, and have never used it again.

If you intend to fly for a long time (not just get a PPL and give up) then I would suggest getting the absolutely best headset that you can afford. If you're not sure how long you will be flying, or think you will be able to afford a better one in a years time, then don't bother buying one yet.

dp

trafficcontrol
1st Nov 2006, 11:52
the David Clark 13.4 are selling for £189.99 at flight store! (brand new obviously) www.flightstore.com I own a pair and they are so comfortable, fairly lightweight, reliable and make me a proud owner. £189.99 is cheeper than transair who are selling them for £207, reduced from £240.

boomerangben
2nd Nov 2006, 08:09
Try before you buy. David Clarks have a good rep, but I don't like them, prefering a Peltor (which IMHO are excellent). If you do plump for a more expensive model, look at some of the in ear types. They use the foam ear plugs fitted with small speakers and a lightweight mic. Apparently very light, have excellent noise attenuation, are not affected by wearing sun glasses and don't get very sweaty. They will make you look like a call centre operative, but so what, you are not going to be wearing them in the bar!! A useful thread http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249883 here on sunglasses and headsets, but has input from someone who has worn in ear types. There is also an interesting piece about Bose headsets being inadquate in twin turbine helicopters. £750 down the drain :eek: :{

tangovictor
2nd Nov 2006, 08:27
also worth checking, if you wear spec's or sunglasses, some headsets become very uncomfortable, where the specs arm and headset meet, just in front of your ear, I believe someone makes a small squishy thing, that stops the problem, not tried it yet.

cirrus01
2nd Nov 2006, 08:39
Went through this decision process a few months ago ( had to buy two sets though ) tried several models and makes and also took a U/S Peltor to pieces ......Not impressed with the internals :oh: .

Got the DC 13.4 ones from Flightstore.co.uk ( very quick delivery as well ).

Excellent build quality, rugged but light weight and comfortable..........and have the advantage that you can also get them upgraded to Active noise reduction at a later date.

Have had some 40 hrs flying with the DCs and very happy ! :D :D

S-Works
2nd Nov 2006, 09:54
I own more headsets than a flying school. After trying just about every type out there I went with the Bose-X. 2000hrs of flying and the have been stunning value for money.

The DC's are crap, over rated and over sold by Instructors at flying schools who are generally getting them cheap for selling them and are to broke to actually buy a good headset. All of the compatability problems i have experianced have always been with DC's. Saying that the back seats in my plane are equipped with the new DC's with flexible boom mic... :p But the Garmin audio panel sorts out the icompatabilities.

If you can afford a Bose-X then settle for nothing else!

Slopey
2nd Nov 2006, 10:48
I went for the DC 13.4s - with the gel ear cuffs (rather than foam) they were the only headset I found comfortable over my specs.

It's definately worth getting your own headset - I spent a couple of hours with club cans on a xc - had sore ears and a headache after it. Bought the DCs the next day and it was a whole new world - I could actually hear the radio properly, and cockpit noise was drastically reduced :)

littco
2nd Nov 2006, 16:50
I bought a set a David Clark which H10-60, which weren't noise cancelling and have just had them upgraded to Noise cancelling in the USA for 100 quid. They now the same as the noise cancelling ones they sell but have cost nearly half the price!!! Go figure!! Not suggesting this what you do, but it may be worth thinking about as it does make a real difference..

Nil Flaps
3rd Nov 2006, 11:55
Hi Merritt,

I had just a couple of lessons before realising club headsets are best described as 'fair to dodgy' and it certainly doesn't help when you have to keep saying 'pardon'? to your instructor when comms are intermittent during your lesson. Sure, headsets cost a bit, but it's better than throwing away several hundred dollars on a lesson you feel was a waste of time because you could hear little more than bugger all for much of it, not to mention trying to fly one-handed because the bastards kept slipping all over your head. I speak from experience.

Like thousands of other lemmings, I chose the David Clark 13.4's. After trying many different brands for size, DC's were the most comfortable for me (everyone's different, so don't buy till you try) but also because my instructor uses them (this apparently helps to avoid brand compatibility problems), and also because they are said to work well in many aircraft. I've never had any problems in cessnas, tecnam, beechcraft, lancair. The DC's aren't cheap but they aren't the most expensive choice either and I have to say its the best single flying purchase I've made.

As bose-x and many others will attest, Bose appear to be the best thing since sliced bread (I can't confirm or deny this as I've never tried them) but I personally could never justify spending that kind of money when embarking on flight training, and for a newbie's needs, I certainly wouldn't agree with him/her that DC's are crap. Quite the opposite. Mine are lightweight, comfy, sound great & while they might stretch the budget a bit, at least you won't need a second mortgage to afford a pair!

BTW, I'm no DC salesman, nor am I some gullible ninckumpoop that bought the 13.4's through my club or an affiliate outlet so someone could get a nice little back-hander. DC's work fine for me. And at least I get to hear the FI loud and clear now.

Merritt
3rd Nov 2006, 15:59
Thanks for all the comments / suggestions guys..

I will try a few out and see how I get on. DC seems like a good place for me to start at a reasonable budget.

Cheers

Steve

neilcharlton
6th Nov 2006, 13:37
I used the DC's at my club for say 10 out of the 12 hrs i've flowen in the C150 . Quite comftable etc . However , every now and then i would miss a word my instructor said , at the end of an hour doing circuits my head would be battered , high noise environment etc .

My instructor actually has hearing loss after all the flights he's done in extra's !

So noise canceling was the ONLY way to go for me. After doing a tonne of research i came across these
http://www.avshop.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5931
basically a rebranded lightspeed set.
Cost me £230 inc shipping and customs charge.

Used them twice now and there are fantastic , i can hear every word my instructor says and my head no longer hurts after an hour or so.

So for almost the same price as the DC's i think they make a much better headset for the £$£$£$ .

fox golf
6th Nov 2006, 17:46
I'd suggest you ask your instructor for advice.

He'll probably suggest you get yourself a set of Harry Mendohlson's specials - about £90 and do a decent job - When you've got your licence you'll probably buy a better set for yourself and the HM's will do for a passenger. You'll need a second set then anyway.
Right now, keep your money for lessons.

If money's no problem then fork out for the dave clark 13.4s - personally I prefer the Pilot noise reduction sets, for not much more.
I have massive compatability problems with my DC's (10.40's) so I'm getting a new headset, probably in-ear.

I've been experimenting with in ear foam plugs and find their noise attenuation to be excellent - much better than passive dave clarks with gel ear seals.

Whatever you get, check with your instructor first for compatibility - he will have your interests at heart.

S-Works
6th Nov 2006, 18:00
Your instructor will sell you Dave Clarks as thats what they get as cheapo or freebie. DC have a fantastic marketing machine.

I have a set of the in ear plugs here, you have to get them molded to your ear canal. They are not very good, and give you ear wax problems as they cause you to get hot ears!! I also found if I turned my head sharply to talk to pax they came out.

Bose-X were the best. Pilot DNC were not bad. I have 7 sets of DC's and they all have different compatability problems!! I have them numbered so I know what works with what! The main problem is when you use them with an SPG400 or on the side tone of a radio, the have imepedance mismatch issues. Using them through a GMA430 is one of the few times I never get a problem.

fox golf
6th Nov 2006, 20:18
I'm thinking about foam in ear plugs rather than the molded variety, they expand to fill the ear nicely and seem quite comfy. The molds are just for sets which have ear hooks rather than a band aren't they? I work as a broadcast sound supervisor and haven't heard presenters complain of hot ears from their ear molds - we're all different.
What make of in ear did you try?

The bose x are obviously very good but very expensive for someone just starting out - and they only really work as ANR sets, their passive noise reduction isn't that good is it? - not a problem if the battery is kept charged or they're plugged into the aircraft power. Their ANR is the best I've heard.
The Pilot's are a more affordable venture into ANR for a new student pilot.
But the HM's should do him for now, unless he's flushed.

I agree that DC's are overated - their main appeal to instructors seems to be that they won't break if you sit on them.

jakerr
7th Nov 2006, 20:27
I've got a David Clark 13.4 headset. Very comfortable, love them to bits and be brought in UK for £189 inclding a case do you really need anything more?:ok:

JK

BlueRobin
7th Nov 2006, 21:03
BlueRobin's Top Tip
Sadly many people quit flying soon after gaining their PPL. This means there is a potential market out there of people wanting to sell their kit. This includes that nice DC13.4 which comes with a 5 year transferrable warranty and is a good starter headset for anyone. Check your airfield/club noticeboards for ads, fleabay too and you can pick one up for under £150 fersure. This I think is where you are looking toward in terms of price and value?

IF you can afford ANR, get a set or have the 13.4 converted at a later stage when you know you have committed to flying. Ear fatigue is noticeable after a stressful session in the 'pit. Your hearing is also a valuable sense.

The new DC X11 ANR is nearly £200 cheaper than the Bose and are equal contnders in my book.

swedishflyer
8th Nov 2006, 10:16
I use Sennheiser HME100, which are about £140. They are very comfortable, have good (passive) noise attenuation and good sound quality. I have tried Peltor headsets, but didn't really like them.