PDA

View Full Version : CAA(South African) Licence Validity in UK

zeefly
1st Nov 2006, 04:36
Can someone help with this question after several attempts in phoning CAA UK i have given up asking them!!

I am in South Africa completed my PPL(H) and have the time to spend here to complete my Commercial Licence. My intentions are to return to the UK and convert my SA licence to the UK one........I have been told various stories from yes "you'll be fine you just do a check ride Met,Law,Radio" to "No don't bother doing commercial in Sa because you will have to sit all exams again!"

Can anyone help? if I did turbine ratings here would they count in UK!

please! please there has to be someone out there who knows the facts!!:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Heliringer
1st Nov 2006, 05:17
You have got to sit the exams again and obviously do a flight test for the issue of your JAA (uk) licence.
Dont waste your money on turbine endorsements, you should have R22/44 those two will cover you for your first 1000 hours of commercial flying (instructing), then see what endorsements you need, the company you work for should pay for any training you need.
Try a search on this site and you should find lots of information about converting licences.
Cheers
HR

Whirlygig
1st Nov 2006, 06:22
I once had a very long and tortuous conversation with a lady at the CAA in Gatwick regarding a South African turbine rating.

I have a UK JAA PPL(H) and had the opportunity to go to South Africa and maybe do a Jet Ranger rating. I enquired about the validity here in the UK. It would not be converted unless I had 500 hours!!

So if you want a Jet Ranger rating, do it in the UK! In the end, I did some dual flying in a Jettie in SA on the basis that I hope to pass my rating here in minimum hours.

Cheers

Whirls

zeefly
1st Nov 2006, 09:07
Cheers Guys!!!!:ok: :ok: :ok: