PDA

View Full Version : School/Personal

Golden Flyer
31st Oct 2006, 23:45
I've been checking out laptops for school and personal use. What do you guys recommend? I've been a long time Del user (PC's), now viewing the Toshiba Qosmio notebooks. Sony, Apple and a few others have been of interest as well...

*All suggestions welcome....

Cheers,

Golden

airborne_artist
1st Nov 2006, 13:50
By school, what age group? Bear in mind that most laptops are made for gentle business/professional types to use. Use by teenagers could be a bit hard on these machines.

Suggest you canvas the opinions of others in the education sector. Here in the UK there are some good deals that can be had by ordering direct from the mfr on a government organised price/service contract.

Golden Flyer
1st Nov 2006, 16:31
By school, what age group? Bear in mind that most laptops are made for gentle business/professional types to use. Use by teenagers could be a bit hard on these machines.

Suggest you canvas the opinions of others in the education sector. Here in the UK there are some good deals that can be had by ordering direct from the mfr on a government organised price/service contract.

University usage as well as personal. Just had a look at the Qosmio G35. Not for gaming or that sort....

Personal: Music, Surfing, Messaging, Work Related
School: Uni. (self explanatory)

airborne_artist
1st Nov 2006, 16:56
Apologies - I mistakenly assumed you were buying in bulk for students to use. Still, some colleges/unis here do have schemes that enable students to buy/lease at preferential rates, so worth checking out at the school/uni you will attend.

All I can suggest is that you go to a retailer, look at them in the hand, see how well built (and heavy) they are, and go from there. As I see it there are two choices - buy cheap and accept that it may not last forever, but that when it dies they'll be faster and cheaper, or spend loads, and hope it does you for four or so years. What ever you buy will feel slow and dated by then.