PDA

View Full Version : Medicals

scottyhs
31st Oct 2006, 14:35
Just a quick question for those of you in the know.

Are the medicals you go through at cranditz, the same as the medicals you have to sit before a flight as a PAX in a jet. If they are how long are they valid for??

Many thanks

Scott

Avtur
31st Oct 2006, 15:07
Stipid boy Pike...

Assuming you are applying for a Commission and/or Aircrew, how likely do YOU think that the medical for a passenger will be to the same rigour as a full-time professional?

:confused:

scottyhs
31st Oct 2006, 15:10
Well seen as many of the medical tests are related to your fitness for flight i would have thought comparisons could have been drawn between the two but your post seems to dismiss that theory, so point taken

Pontius Navigator
31st Oct 2006, 15:20
How about a vote on this one then?

airborne_artist
31st Oct 2006, 15:24
Can't see a need for a full eye test on a pax medical, and they wouldn't do an EEG, but I reckon they'd do an ECG.

scottyhs
31st Oct 2006, 22:46
Ok then if the OASC medical is much more intense then a "normal" PAX medical, can it be used as a medical for a PAX trip - Presuming you passed of course for the correct flying branches. This is again just another quick question that me and a friend were discussing.

Thanks, Scott

H5N1
1st Nov 2006, 18:40
PAX medicals have to be conducted by an MO at the unit where the flight is to be taken. The main part of the medical can be conducted in the 4 weeks prior to the flight but a confirmation of fitness and ear check need to be done not more than 24 hours before the flight. The medical tends to consist of the usual past medical history, blood pressure, pulse, height, weight checks along with urinealysis, visual acuity and flying helmet check. The MO will also have a listen to your lungs and heart, examine your spine and abdo and perform anthropometry (functional reach, buttock-knee length etc etc). So in short your initial medical doesn't cover you.