PDA

View Full Version : Evacuation and incubators (sp?)

Rwy in Sight
31st Oct 2006, 08:08
I had a chat with a friend (and since a lot of babies were born in the last months) regarding incubators during an evacuation.

The question is do you evacuate just the baby or do you try to take the incubator as well, using 2 people?

I am intresting to know your airline's policy and if it is operating under JAR OPS.

Thanks in advance for answering my question

Rwy in Sight

Carnage Matey!
31st Oct 2006, 08:16
I've never heard of a baby in an incubator on board an aircraft. In fact I rather doubt that a baby requiring an incubator would be considered healthy enough to fly.

flybywire
31st Oct 2006, 09:20
I've never heard of a baby in an incubator on board an aircraft. In fact I rather doubt that a baby requiring an incubator would be considered healthy enough to fly.

I agree entirely!!

We do not even have an incubator on board "just in case" another baby is born either! As in most cases of premature births it isn't just the heat of the incubator that is beneficial for the baby, but they need all sorts of medical monitoring and aids like cannulae for feeding, heart monitors and even ventilators!! You need all the equipment and highly trained, specialized people to deal with that too.

In my airline we do not allow babies who are younger than about a week old (I must check FCO for exact days) without a medical fit to fly certificate either. I am sure Jar Ops include something on these lines too.

CD
31st Oct 2006, 10:56
When I worked for an operator here in Canada, we would advise the personal attendant accompanying the incubator that should the need arise to evacuate the aircraft, the infant should removed and the incubator left behind. The same procedure was used for passengers being transported on stretchers - remove the passenger and leave the stretcher in an evacuation.

Here is some Canadian guidance related to the installation and restraint of incubators and stretchers when carried on board a scheduled passenger aircraft, rather than a dedicated air ambulance:

Carriage of Incubators and Stretchers (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/commerce/manuals/tp10839/section11.htm)

Rwy in Sight
31st Oct 2006, 13:56
Thanks for all the answers so far.

The question is aimed at transporting a sick or premature baby on schedule pax flight as part of a med-evac scenario. For exemple, a baby is born is prematurely (sp?) in a remote region and it needs to be moved to a larger better organized hospital over water.

I hope it makes sense.

Rwy in Sight

sebby
31st Oct 2006, 22:39
Interesting. Ive never come accross it but am now wanting to pose the question to my management!

Did you come accross it often CD?

CD
31st Oct 2006, 23:25
Oh, we may have had one or two while I was with the company. Our route system was primarily north/south in Canada, most of which is only accessible by air. So we carried quite a few non-emergency medical transfers. The incubators had to incorporate their own oxygen and internal power supply to be acceptable on board. I cannot remember manufacturer names anymore, but I seem to recall at least two that could be accommodated on board.

Part of initial and annual training includes the requirement to describe the procedures for acceptance and carriage of the special needs passengers:

Inital Part Three - Safety Procedures (Passenger Handling) (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/commerce/manuals/tp12296/initial3/section6.htm)
Annual Part Three - Safety Procedures (Passenger Handling) (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/commerce/manuals/tp12296/annual3/section6.htm)

Similarly, the Flight Attendant Manual Standard in Canada includes a component requiring the operator to address procedures for the carriage of stretchers and incubators:

Section One - Safety Procedures (Special Needs Passengers) (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/publications/tp12295/sectionA1/1a.htm#A13)

Of course, if the company decides that they are not going to permit the carriage of incubators, then there isn't a need for training nor manual procedures.