PDA

View Full Version : Fatal R44 Crash South West Stockholm

MD900 Explorer
30th Oct 2006, 11:31
R44 crash south west of Stckholm, Sweden today.

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=147&a=584625&previousRenderType=6

My condoloncies to those affected.

MD :(

scooter boy
30th Oct 2006, 12:14
MD900

Can you translate the article as my Swedish is not so good?

What was the weather like, how many on board, probable cause if these details are in the news report?

Thanks

SB

Mupp
30th Oct 2006, 14:15
I'm not MD900, nor did I read it at vg.no, but according to dn.se (large Swedish newspaper), what is known so far is this:

The helicopter (privately owned R44) crashed at about 0855 local, after 10/15 minutes of flight, in a forest clearing. No one saw the crash, and apparently an emergency transmitter alerted the authorities, the article doesn't mention any distress call or anything like that. A rescue helicopter located the crash site around 1000. A fire had broken out, and the pilot (sole occupant) was killed. That pretty much sums up what's known so far.

Lots of fatal flying accidents in Sweden lately... My condolences to those involved...

MD900 Explorer
30th Oct 2006, 14:29
scooter boy

Just as Mupp said. I cant elaborate anymore as i know no more.

Mupp
I know you arnt MD900, just thought i would point it out :E

MD :sad:

perfrej
30th Nov 2006, 05:36
This being a rumour network and all... Apparently the pilot used the R44 for lifting a 1000 lbs tower segment hours before the fatal flight. The mast crew where a bit surprised to see the tiny helicopter struggle as the pilot "pumped" the collective to yank it in place as the RPM kept going down.

This is second hand info from people on the ground.

Now, where is the cargo hook on an R44??? Is this just pure greed - using an R44 and charging for a squirrel?

I don't hold the answer...

MD900 Explorer
4th Dec 2006, 20:43
Perfrej

I don't mean to be dismissive, but i doubt that at all. I see you have a load of ratings on your licence, but R44 is not one of them. Try 2500lbs AUM before you go out of c of g limits. Basic weight of 1515lbs which straight away leaves you less; then there is of course the pilot and some vapour to make it fly, IF it was a Raven II and less if it was a Raven I or Astro. :=

I guess thats why no one else replied. It sounds ridiculous :*

Oh by the way, the cargo hook is always underneath :E

MD :ooh:

perfrej
5th Dec 2006, 06:21
Perfrej

I don't mean to be dismissive, but i doubt that at all. I see you have a load of ratings on your licence, but R44 is not one of them. Try 2500lbs AUM before you go out of c of g limits. Basic weight of 1515lbs which straight away leaves you less; then there is of course the pilot and some vapour to make it fly, IF it was a Raven II and less if it was a Raven I or Astro. :=

I guess thats why no one else replied. It sounds ridiculous :*

Oh by the way, the cargo hook is always underneath :E

MD :ooh:

Well, MD... As I said, it's a rumour, and it's from a good source. If we dismiss the actual weight from the equation and just assume that he did lift something that was on the heavy side of the envelope, OK. Assume.

No, for the cargo hook... I do not have a rating for the R44, but I was told that it doesn't even have provisions for a cargo hook. Hence the question as to where it was...

Yes, this is a rumour, and yes, it should be taken as such. Apparently, the people on the ground did react to the size of the helicopter. This will all be in the final report, I guess.

Do people lift stuff with R44s? I haven't set my butt in one, much less studued its performance, but I have understood that it's a much better helicopter than is the R22.

Oh, by the way - do you fly the MD900/902?

All the best!

Salusa
5th Dec 2006, 13:00
At least here in the US and Canada I know of several companies using the 44 for light external load work. The STC is from Onboard Systems, I believe, google should give you the answer.

'Tis true..

Here is a linky.
http://www.onboardsystems.com/products/?fn=detail&id=9

perfrej
5th Dec 2006, 14:34
'Tis true..

Here is a linky.
http://www.onboardsystems.com/products/?fn=detail&id=9

Cool! 362 kg is definately "light lift jobs", but none the less, it's a hook!