PDA

View Full Version : Incompetance or PC

GANNET FAN
30th Oct 2006, 08:40
Not quite sure if this is the right forum but an army friend of mine was due to travel to Belize on exercise early this morning. I believe the flight transits via Washington but the flight was delayed because somebody forgot to warn US customs that there would be lots of rifles and military hardware on board the plane and everthing was to be delayed until clearance was given!

The Gorilla
30th Oct 2006, 11:05
Yes the Americans never cease to amuse me! They are now fingerprinting tourists on the way in and on the way out. They have come up with all sorts of bureaucratic hoops for both the Airlines and individuals to jump through so that you can have the privilege to marvel at their wonderful country and spend lots of $!! Meanwhile of course thousands of illegal immigrants come over the Mexican border every day, muppets.

Any yanks wanting to come to the EU should be fingerprinted both ways as well. As for me I have changed my honeymoon plans for next year. Instead of having 3 weeks in Hawaii I am going to back to Dubai. How ironic that you should be made to feel more welcome in a Muslim country that the land of the so called free!

But at least we can be so thankful for them having made the world a much safer place!
:ugh:

Wyler
30th Oct 2006, 11:48
Just back from a holiday in Muscat. Fantastic. Great weather, great food and nice people. Travelling there and back easy as well, even with added restrictions on BA. USA? Loved it when I visited but really can't be bothered anymore. They are beginning to remind me of the North Koreans, isolationist, oblivious to the outside world, keep the population afraid and ignorant, stamp your feet if you don't get your own way and if you criticise the leader.....watch out!. (yes, we are not far behind....:* )

FFP
30th Oct 2006, 13:23
Gannet,

Pretty much everything your "mate" told you (or was told himself) is wrong.

brickhistory
30th Oct 2006, 13:31
Not quite sure if this is the right forum but an army friend of mine was due to travel to Belize on exercise early this morning. I believe the flight transits via Washington but the flight was delayed because somebody forgot to warn US customs that there would be lots of rifles and military hardware on board the plane and everthing was to be delayed until clearance was given!

Is it reasonable to ask that if the reverse happened; US military rifles coming through a civilian airport and UK Customs were not informed? Think there wouldn't be a delay?

diginagain
30th Oct 2006, 13:39
A somewhat unlikely scenario, since the UK mil has been sending troops to Belize via the US for some time.

More probable is that your mate heard it from a mover.

See 'oh, dear' thread for more.

Wader2
30th Oct 2006, 13:49
Is it reasonable to ask that if the reverse happened; US military rifles coming through a civilian airport and UK Customs were not informed? Think there wouldn't be a delay?

Er actually Brick, there has been considerable discussion in the UK press about black flights staging through Prestwick.

True a flag stop does not usually go through CHI and that is our excuse and we are sticking to it.

brickhistory
30th Oct 2006, 14:03
Er actually Brick, there has been considerable discussion in the UK press about black flights staging through Prestwick

I knew this would be brought up. But then, those weren't 'declared' like the my rifles example, were they? :}

Wader2
30th Oct 2006, 14:08
I knew this would be brought up. But then, those weren't 'declared' like the my rifles example, were they? :}

"Declared" as in "Have you anything to declare?"

As opposed to "Come here mate, what yer got?" Ours know when not to ask questions: such as 7.30 when Coronation Street is on, or when the shift is due to finish, or its raining.

AT Mov
30th Oct 2006, 14:16
A somewhat unlikely scenario, since the UK mil has been sending troops to Belize via the US for some time.

More probable is that your mate heard it from a mover.

See 'oh, dear' thread for more.

Oh good, another take a pop at the movers thread!

The only movers in IAD are the RAFLO's who organise dip clears etc.

I see someone has an idea of the true story, but has not told. No doubt it is connected to the two U/S VC10 in Bangor that were the deploying aircraft for this ex, one went u/s, second had reduced pax load to pick up pax from the first, but promptly joined it u/s.

Last I heard a civvy charter was being considered to rescue the pax as no VC10 was left to recover them (one more being u/s in Dakar at the same time). Perhaps if this did happen the airline did not let the USA know what it was carrying.

However, forget all that, blame movers as its easy.

Roadster280
30th Oct 2006, 14:25
Yes the Americans never cease to amuse me! They are now fingerprinting tourists on the way in and on the way out. They have come up with all sorts of bureaucratic hoops for both the Airlines and individuals to jump through so that you can have the privilege to marvel at their wonderful country and spend lots of $!! Meanwhile of course thousands of illegal immigrants come over the Mexican border every day, muppets.
Any yanks wanting to come to the EU should be fingerprinted both ways as well. As for me I have changed my honeymoon plans for next year. Instead of having 3 weeks in Hawaii I am going to back to Dubai. How ironic that you should be made to feel more welcome in a Muslim country that the land of the so called free!
But at least we can be so thankful for them having made the world a much safer place!
:ugh:

The US-VISIT program has been running for a long while now. Essentially, the fingerprinting is a scan of the index fingers, so the USCIS can positively identify travellers. Contrast that with the sloppy "standards" of the UK immigration folk. Several times, I've just had to briefly show an EU passport to the officer. Not scanned, not taken a note of, nothing. I know which I would rather be protected by.

vecvechookattack
30th Oct 2006, 15:09
Yes the Americans never cease to amuse me! They are now fingerprinting tourists on the way in and on the way out.

Same as the pubs and clubs in Yeovil then. You can't get into a pub in Yeovil without havin yer fingers scanned

November4
30th Oct 2006, 17:46
Same as the pubs and clubs in Yeovil then. You can't get into a pub in Yeovil without havin yer fingers scanned

Night club in Bristol has airport security arches and everyone is photographed entering.

Can't have employed RAFP to do the arch as people actually get in quickly.....:eek:

maxburner
30th Oct 2006, 17:46
If I may I'd like to make a couple of observations about visiting the USA - something I do on a regular basis.

The fingerprinting thing takes about 5 seconds. It's really no hassle and it ties you to the passport you produce. If that cuts down on crime in the US I see it as a nuisance, but no more. At least an effort is being made to tighten up their procedures so that they know who is visiting and who is leaving the country.

As for the welcome, in 9 cases out of 10 the welcome I have received has been polite and warm. Yes there has been the odd officious jobsworth, but have you been through Heathrow lately? And frankly, we don't have a clue who holds a UK passport or who is in our country. Thanks Mr Reid.

Once in the country I find Americans to be almost unfailingly polite, friendly and helpful. Try shopping in London and see what kind or response you get.

Two's in
30th Oct 2006, 18:20
Once in the country I find Americans to be almost unfailingly polite, friendly and helpful. Try shopping in London and see what kind or response you get.

But that approach won't get you on a Yank bashing, Bush ranting, EU hating roll will it Max? The US is a bit like Marmite, you either love it or you hate it, the main difference apparently being that most people don't spend every waking minute going around telling people how much they hate Marmite.

If only the UK was actually populated by Brits, and not East Europeans and Afghanis these days, the criticism of the US might be a little more pointed and focused, but it always comes across as sour grapes because we've let Tony and the crew create the Democratic People's Republic of Welfare from what used to be that Green and Pleasant land.

Any scientific link between the ballot box and the clown in Number 10 has clearly yet to be proven in the UK, what other reason could there be for the ongoing level of surprise over what the Government is doing to the country?

maxburner
30th Oct 2006, 19:13
Two's In.

I've always enjoyed an ill-informed rant with the best of them! However, one does come across a number of Brits who have been to Disneyland and say they know America - I guess that's who my post was aimed at.

As for the clown in number 10, I can't wait to be rid of him. He is, in my opinion, a fantasist control freak who has trouble with the truth. Once he's gone, and hopefully the nasty tax-grubbing Scot in number 11 with him, we can reclaim what's left of our poor old country. England used to be such a great place to live, but these days......

flown-it
31st Oct 2006, 12:44
Thread creep BUT:-
I've always defended the old country as THE place to visit...wx gets you down from time to time but all in all a great country. I was firmly put in my place on a flight back to the states by an American who said he was appalled at the lack of social graces by the average man in the street. Wonderfull countyside inhabited by yobs. If that is true I'll have to repress those yearnings to retire back home!