PDA

View Full Version : Computer speed

cornwallis
28th Oct 2006, 17:00
My old laptop seems to be getting slower and slower.Is there anything I can download to see what is causing this apart from age?

Gertrude the Wombat
28th Oct 2006, 19:45
(1) Remove all the viruses and spambots and trojans and other malware.

(2) Don't install any new ones.

"Age" does not cause a computer to run noticeably slower for normal activities - there's no such mechanism.

rotorcraig
29th Oct 2006, 00:10
My old Win95, Win98, Win2K machines always used to slow down over time to the point that it was well worth backing up documents, photos etc. then reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows.

I always rebuilt such machines every 12-24 months as I found that it gave them a new lease of life - and despite being very careful on viruses, malware etc. there seemed no way to avoid a general "slowing down" over time.

Must say that my WinXP box doesn't appear to suffer from this at all - my current installation is now now 24+ months old, and as Gertrude says so long as you keep it clean it should just keep on going :ok:

RC

FakePilot
29th Oct 2006, 00:37
Keeping your computer running nicely is simple.
Just consider a computer as your solid waste explusion port.

Would you:

Stick anything that someone mails you in there?
Stick something that runs in there?
Hang it out a door on a busy city street?
Leave it unattended in a public place?
Trust your friends to use it?
Use all kinds of mechinisms and chemicals to keep it clean?
Store things you really don't need in there?
Would you like it searched before being allowed to use something?
Would you put allow someone to put surveillance equipment in there?
Put something that's too big for it in there?

And remember, just because it makes you happy and feel good doesn't mean it belongs in there.

There, simple.

Tarq57
30th Oct 2006, 20:24
As above, check for adware/spyware etc This site gives a pretty good online scan http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/
And, as above, if it's short on RAM and CPU specs, which it will be if old, check to see how many programs run at startup. (Use msconfig). Anything you're sure you don't need running every time it starts, deselect.