PDA

View Full Version : Do I want to start my laptop in 'Safe Mode'????

AERO_STUDENT
28th Oct 2006, 13:01
Think I've busted me laptop......

Turning it on gets me a screen saying the following;

Checking NVRAM
Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup & Replace.
F1 To Continue

Pressing F1 Gives me the options of;

Start Windows in Safe Mode
Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking
Start Windows in Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Start Windows in Last Known Good Configuration

Start Windows Normally

I've tried the last two and they lead me back to the start. HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Mercenary Pilot
28th Oct 2006, 13:07
The question is WHY it wants to start in safe mode?

Safe mode does what it says on the tin i.e. starts windows in a "safe" configuration (minimal graphics display/drivers etc.) so you can correct any major errors and restart it in a normal condition. :ok:

OX-27
28th Oct 2006, 15:16
It looks like your hard drive has been damaged (S.M.A.R.T. = Bad) It may be possible to start in safe mode to correct the problem - but I doubt it.

Sorry about the bad news.

M.Mouse
28th Oct 2006, 21:52
A good friend suffered a major problem with his hard disk which rendered the machine unusable (wouldn't boot). I used some analytical software which I had which diagnosed problems with the hard disk.

Like so many he had vast numbers of photographs on the disk and no backup.

I took a chance on some software called Spinrite. It took 22 hours of continuous (automatic) reading and rereading of the disk to to repair the damage to the point where the machine would boot and all the data was recovered. We copied the data and threw the disk away.

First purchase of the software is around US$90 but it did work for me and my pal thought it was a cheap price to pay to recover his photographs!

I have no connection at all with the company who write the software.

Golden Flyer
1st Nov 2006, 01:47
This has happened to my PC a few times. I know that there is something that must definetly be checked out when the computer wants to start in a safe mode. When you start in a safe mode, the computer will not function with all its programs. I believe it will limit itself to only "nescessary programs". Default applications which came with the computer etc... My PC is Dell, and there customer support line spend some 2-3 hours with me on the phone correcting such problems (which differs from time to time). My best bet would be to call the manufacturer and explain to them whats happening.

Hope that helps....

Cheers,

Golden

Toxteth O'Grady
3rd Nov 2006, 18:54
Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup & Replace.

Your disk is dying. Do exactly what it says (Backup) before it is too late and you loose all your data. The more times you spend powering up and attempting to get into Safe Mode the less chance you'll have of saving your data.

The best way to do it is to put the laptop disk into a desktop PC as a slave drive with one of these (http://www.maplin.co.uk/SEODynamicPages/module.asp?ModNo=28724) and copy the data you want to keep to the PC's disk.

:cool:

TOG