PDA

View Full Version : Bell 212 EGOS visitor -- thanks!

ACW599
27th Oct 2006, 21:40
Nice to see the Bell 212 in EGOS Field 24 for the last couple of mornings -- many thanks to whoever set that up. Lovely sight and sound, but who chose the colour scheme? Reminds me of "Stroudley's Improved Engine Green".

More please. . .

Toddington Ted
27th Oct 2006, 22:00
Ah, Mr Stroudley - The CME (Chief Mechanical Engineer) of the LBSCR (London Brighton & South Coast Railway) whose locomotive designs included the 0-6-0Ts known as Terriers, some of which still run on our heritage lines- Am I correct? WTF, is this an aircrew forum or what??? Sorry chaps, got into hobby mode there briefly.:ok:

Aynayda Pizaqvick
27th Oct 2006, 23:18
Geeeek. Got to love the sound of those blades though, Hughey or 212:ok:

helidriver
28th Oct 2006, 07:56
This cab is known as 'Huey Green' and is Contractor owned. Its use is facilitated by JHC however it's on temporary loan to Shawbury from its usual base of Middle Wallop. Apparently, the colour (ghastly!) is the nearest the civvies could get to a military green. :ugh:
I have its tail number for you spotters out there. ;)

ACW599
28th Oct 2006, 10:45
>Ah, Mr Stroudley - The CME (Chief Mechanical Engineer) of the LBSCR (London Brighton & South Coast Railway) whose locomotive designs included the 0-6-0Ts known as Terriers, some of which still run on our heritage lines- Am I correct?<

That's the one. Actually I think whoever chose the colour was a closet Bulleid fan -- it's rather like malachite green -- but since the only real railway CMEs were Gresley and Stanier, we don't talk about Bulleid in polite society.

(sorry, other interest mode now OFF).

Nice aeroplane anyway.

international hog driver
28th Oct 2006, 12:33
If you are refering to ZJ969..... yes its a god auwful colour and the only other green military helicopter that is a worse colour green are the Angolan Mi-8's uck.....
But where not meant to know anything about them anyway....sssshhhhhhh!

Toddington Ted
28th Oct 2006, 12:46
ACW599 - As a part owner of one of Churchward's finest Swindon built 2-8-0s (give us £50K and we'll fix the boiler Guv) I cannot let your remark pass unchallenged, even on a military aviation forum.:=

Roadster280
28th Oct 2006, 13:20
since the only real railway CMEs were Gresley and Stanier, we don't talk about Bulleid in polite society.

RA Riddles did his fair share. In addition to the WD 2-8-0s and the 2-10-0s, he oversaw the postwar standardisation and production of much more efficient and more powerful machines in great numbers.

I can't help liken his standard designs to the likes of the Iroquois, S-61 etc, which were made in their thousands because of their relative simplicity and ability to get the task done. In contrast Bulleid's "streamlined" classes used unproven technology, were complex to maintain and suffered dreadful reliability problems. Sounds eerily familiar to a lot of military kit...

higthepig
28th Oct 2006, 16:06
It is not called Hughie Green, its called 'Snot', because it's not a Griffin and it's not a Squirrel. The green on the colour chart, was not the colour in the tin when it was sprayed, eek, thats another reason to call it 'Snot'.

SamCaine
28th Oct 2006, 16:23
You may call it snot, around here it's affectionately known as 'Kermit', for obvious reasons ;) .

idle stop
28th Oct 2006, 16:46
I have it on very good authority that the colour was chosen by the joint-services team at Yeovilton, responsible for the leasing contract for 'Huey Green' or 'Kermit' (or whatever!) to MoD from FB Heliservices Ltd.
I'm not sure, however, that their interpretation of the B&Q colour chart quite matched the reality......
I can recall my first sight of G-BGLJ/ZJ969 when I went to collect said aircraft from overhaul and respray up in Stockholm. It sure brightened up the day!

Taff Missed
29th Oct 2006, 10:12
I have it on very good authority that the colour was chosen by the joint-services team at Yeovilton, responsible for the leasing contract for 'Huey Green' or 'Kermit' (or whatever!) to MoD from FB Heliservices Ltd.
I'm not sure, however, that their interpretation of the B&Q colour chart quite matched the reality......

Absolutely right. The colour was selected by the HICIPT and was meant to be the green found on your average Lynx or Gazelle. They were a little surprised when the ac was handed over to them, rushing around with their colour swatches trying to find someone to blame.

Taff (good authority).

guinnessthecow
17th Nov 2006, 12:51
Hi all!

Nice thread by the way, and chuckled to see some of the postings!

I thought Id chip in and set the record straight!

Huey Green was never meant to be Lynx or Gazelle Green. The conumdrum was to choose a colour that would be "acceptable" to the military, whilst being able to flip-flop between mil and civ registers without causing too much angst. We didnt want it to be mistaken for a police cab or even one of the DHFS fleet.

Now, being rather an imaginative bunch with too much access to the internet, we showed our age by looking at schemes used on the Thunderbirds. TB2 was a top scheme, and the swatch (leaf-green) was a good comparitor. Obviously, the Swedes (who painted it), seemed to have had a bubble at our expense! We could ask for a breach of contract as FBH didnt apply the yellow banding or the red exhausts, but there are more important things to play with!!

Personally speaking, i think the Camoflauge Working Group need to get out more!

ACW599
17th Nov 2006, 20:22
Many thanks to all for the information. Reminds me of how I used to be puzzled about why air-defence grey was referred to as 'Barley grey', until I found out that it had been devised by a Mr Barley.

Churchward? Never heard of him. Best thing Stanier ever did was to be headhunted away from Swindon :-)

Dunhovrin
17th Nov 2006, 20:35
What a bunch of sad old pathetic tossrs you all are!!

Sorry chaps - I don't think I've read a thread on Prune that has managed so many postings without wanton abuse- so I thought I better bring things down to "normal". Smacks self on back of head - "Stupid Boy".

What an absolute pleasure to read such a light-hearted but still serious and enthusiastic thread. I'm no train spotter (soz, railway enthusiast) but I appreciate the pleasure it brings; likewise those who enjoy a the sight of an ill-painted Huey with 2 spare blades.

Huey Green and TB2 - only in the UK....

oldbeefer
18th Nov 2006, 14:15
Judging from the noise complaints last week (not a million miles from F24), not everyone in LFA9 likes Kermit!

ACW599
18th Nov 2006, 18:11
>Judging from the noise complaints last week (not a million miles from F24), not everyone in LFA9 likes Kermit!<

That's a shame. I thought I'd got most of the neighbours on-side by now. The guy down below me (at Greystone House) is even complaining that he doesn't see enough helicopters!

Nice to see a Lynx in here the other morning -- first one ever. Haven't seen an Apache yet (hint).