PDA

View Full Version : Multi Crew Required Aircraft

flyingtonka
27th Oct 2006, 13:58
I am being asked if I have 1000 hours multi pilot and 500 in type requiring multi pilot so that I may be exempt approved training before I sit the 13 written exams and / or go for the skills test.

I am trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start studying to convert my FAA ATP - I dont want any surprises down the road.

So my question is: where can I find a CAA / JAA approved list of all helicopters requiring 2 pilots under the JAR Ops or CAA?

Thanks In Advance:ok:

redbar1
27th Oct 2006, 14:47
Flyingtonka,
Don't look for that list, there is none. In JAA-land, there are (almost, ik, ik;-) no helicopters CERTIFICATED Multi-Pilot. The great majority of flight hours done in MP Helicopters result from the JAR-FCL 2 reference to '...or requred to be OPERATED MP according to JAR-OPS'. This means e.g. the North Sea shuttles, flying IFR, more than 9 seats, etc.
Beware that the new Amd 4 to JAR-FCL 2 contains a NEW definition of MP helos, extending this a bit.
Hope this helps, and good luck!
Cheers,
Redbar1

Flying Bull
27th Oct 2006, 16:27
Hi flyingtonka,

I know one helicopter (5 to be excact), where multicrew is required.
BK 117 in NVG-operations.

After fitting FLIR and NVG-equipment in our BK117-fleet, the stuff had that to be approved.
Some more pages in the book - and its written down, NVG-operatins only with a crew of two Pilots.
Was done at Alanmann (http://www.alanmann.co.uk/engineering/#)

Greetings Flying Bull

FredFri
27th Oct 2006, 17:00
First thing to look at is the JAR-FCL definition of a multi-pilot helicopter :

Multi-pilot helicopters:
A type of helicopter that is required to be
operated with a co-pilot as specified in the flight
manual or by the air operator certificate or
equivalent document.

It depends on what type of operations the Authority (general term for CAA, depending on wich country you're in) considers must be performed by a crew of two.

For instance in France, the following types are considered multi-pilot helicopters anytime :
S61 - S92 - EH101 - BV234 - SA321

For the others, it depends :
- a SA330 performing public transportation is considered multi-pilot.
- the same SA330 employed in firefighting is a single-pilot helo.

tecpilot
28th Oct 2006, 09:27
After fitting FLIR and NVG-equipment in our BK117-fleet, the stuff had that to be approved.
Some more pages in the book - and its written down, NVG-operatins only with a crew of two Pilots.
Was done at Alanmann (http://www.alanmann.co.uk/engineering/#)

Could this be a new optional equipment with new RFM supplement?

All BK users i know operating in such configuration (NVG, FLIR) have a standard crew of one pilot and one FLIR operator. A second pilot is of course not prohibited but not required.

From the
FLIGHT MANUAL BK 117 B-2 EUROCOPTER
2. LIMITATIONS
2.1 HELICOPTER CONFIGURATION REQUIREMENTS
2.1.1 VFR operation
The FLIR system is approved only in conjunction with at least one additional cross tube
mounted landing light according to FMS 10-6 or FMS 10-15.
2.1.2 IFR operation
For IFR operation with the FLIR thermal imager attached to the fuselage nose, either two
fixed landing lights according to FMS 10-6 (RH and LH cross tube), or one fixed landing
light (FMS 10-6, LH cross tube) and one 450 W SEARCH AND LANDING LIGHT (FMS
10-15, RH cross tube) shall be installed.
2.2 MINIMUM CREW
One pilot and one crew member are required for FLIR operations. Operation of the FLIR
system controller is restricted to trained crew members only.

It's all the same with WESCAM or IRENCO.

flyingtonka
28th Oct 2006, 15:07
Thanks for all your help.

My companies air carrier cert specifies that our S76 with 8 - 12 seats is required to have 2 pilots at all times as we are an interstate scheduled airline.

I just dont want the CAA / JAA telling me I cant count it towards my JAA ATP next year when I come to do the conversion.

Thanks Again:ok:

tottigol
29th Oct 2006, 00:57
Thanks for all your help.
My companies air carrier cert specifies that our S76 with 8 - 12 seats is required to have 2 pilots at all times as we are an interstate scheduled airline.
I just dont want the CAA / JAA telling me I cant count it towards my JAA ATP next year when I come to do the conversion.
Thanks Again:ok:

As an example, in a certain JAA Country the AB412 (oooops did I give ya'll a clue?) requires two pilots to fly IFR when certificated with 9 or more seats and only requires one when flying EMS with less than 9 pax seats/stretchers. Go figure.:ugh: