PDA

View Full Version : helicopter pilot vs airline pilot

Marc123
30th Mar 2006, 08:56
Can anyone offer any advice in this field please? I'm a 20 year old student (studying aeronautical engineering, graduate next year) keen to pursue a career as a pilot either in fixed wing or helicopter, however more so a helicoper pilot than fixed wing. What are the major advanatges or disadvantages for each and how does the future of each industry look? What are the maximum salaries that one could expect from either?

I have been doing alot of research into Helicopter Training but it seems that the dominant factor to get into any school, is basically the money. Does anybody have any information on Helicopter Adventures in Florida as this flying school has been recommended to me before? Are helicopter training scholarships still in existence?

Apart from CTC I'm not unsure about any other bodies that offer training with a loan etc for fixed wing.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

GusHoneybun
30th Mar 2006, 13:10
Marc,

HAI are probably the cheapest way of getting a CPL(H). I say cheap, but you won't get much change out of 50 grand. And that is only a CPL(H) without the IR. In the heli world, if you need an IR it seems that the company you work for will fund this ( I could be wrong on this ). However, if you think fixed wing is a tough market to break into, its a walk in the park compared to heli's. Most jobs require a few thousand hours and a decent amount on turbine. All that will be open to a low houred guy is instructing, and even those jobs are few and far between. As for pay? expect to live in a caravan and eat baked beans for a few years.

Bristows used to run a scholarship program a few years ago. I'm not too sure whether it is still up and running. I do know someone who they seem interested in training, but he is a known quantity, a local and has a bucket load of relevent fixed wing hours.

Alternatively, if you a fit enough, try Betty Windsors Flying Club. They will train you for free and you get your hands on some sexy bit's of kit.

Better still, get you fixed wing licence, work you way up the greasy pole to get your command, then you can train at your leisure. Then you can have the best (worst) of both worlds.

Oh, and have a look at the Rotorheads forum. Lots of good/better advice floating about there.

Craigeedee
27th Oct 2006, 11:42
I am still at school, i love flying and want to be a pilot. Just wondering about the different life styles of helicopter pilots or airline pilots and the types of jobs helicopter pilots can get.

I would imagine commercial jets are getting more and more run by computers so maybe in the near future will get nearly totally run by computers so a piloting job would be quite boring in that kind of plane.

whats more fun, whats a better career option?

I don't know, but would appreciate your opinions.

dxbpilot
27th Oct 2006, 16:42
Hi,

In general there are more jobs available in the fixed wing market just simply due to numbers of A/C in use. Many people find it easier to get that first job flying fixed wing compared to rotary. Of course pay is also a big issue, I know many pilots who started off as rotary pilots and converted to fixed wing mainly due to money and baseings when they were a bit older.

I have decided to take the fixed wing route myself although I have flown rotary aswell. I must say I have found Helicopters more fun to fly !

At the end of the day its who you know, if you can get that first break as a chopper pilot then go for it! I am always hearing great storys from mates that have had the chance to fly in the Solomans/Middle East/Canada.

In Australia at least alot of Vietnam Vets are retireing so there is going to be more of a need for rotary guys.

Where about in the world are you located?

bunk
28th Oct 2006, 02:41
Hi Marc,

I did my helicopter training at HAI and was very happy with most things. Most of my friends that completed the training with HAI are working now. There are exceptions but most people get hired as an instructor at some school here in US. HAI has a great rumour which will help you a lot when you start applying for jobs. After about one year of instruction you should have about 1000 hrs if you get hired at a busy school. With 1000 hrs there is no problems getting a "real" job. About pay as an instructor: I get about 3000 US each month. "Real job": I would say that the best paying job is flying offshore, starts at about 50000 US.

Craigeedee
29th Oct 2006, 19:13
I am from the UK dxbpilot.

thanks alot guys.

I think i will try my best as a fixed wing pilot because of the pay and i do like the idea of going to every end of the world, but i still do think a helicopter job would be alot more fun.

DECISIONS DECISIONS ! :confused:

redsnail
29th Oct 2006, 21:58
I got a mate in Oz who went out there on a visa (for another trade) for the purpose of getting his helo CPL. He did so but as many have found it's one thing to get the CPL but it's another to get a job. I believe he's now working as a commercial helo pilot.

I know jobs in Oz are bloody hard to get unless you have some mil time behind you. But, if you're willing to travel and do the "hard yards" the jobs are there plus you do get onto turbines a lot faster than your fixed wing brothers/sisters.

I don't know of many failures in Oz but I know of a few success stories. It's yours for the taking but it won't be gifted to you.

stabout
30th Oct 2006, 13:25
I have both a frozen ATPL(H) and ATPL(A) and turned down BMI regional and BA Citiexpress as the pay is better and I only work 182 days a year!

In the North Sea you'll pay will only be better if you go long haul but even then you will have to work more.

This may surprise you but since BALPA pay and roster negotiations Helicopter pilots are having a much better deal than there fixed wing friends.

I know at least 5 fresh out of training pilots who have got into one of the three large helicopter company's in Aberdeen, and some were given IR’s

low n' slow
30th Oct 2006, 18:30
The trick to getting IFR hours is flying fixed wing. I haven't read the rule that says it, but according to the people that told me, fixed wing IFR time is transferrable to Rotary wing without any complications.

As has been said, getting a helijob might be perhaps the hardest thing to do apart from explaining the expansion of the universe. That said, getting a fixedwing job to build IFR time for the sole purpose of transferring them ti rotary time seems a bit silly. BUT, if it's what you want then go for it. Doing the thing you want will always beat a good salary and a comfortable lifestyle in my opinion. And also, in many circumstances I'd feel that flying a heli would be "better for all" since you'll most likely be doing something else than flying drunken, stupid SLF from one place to the other for pure leisure... Heli's simply put, do things that contribute to society in a much better way than fixed wing (medivac, SAR, powerline maintenance and so forth, you get the picture...), which would at least give me a little better job satisfaction.
But apart from those aspects, I thurroughly enjoy my line of profession flying small turboprops...

/LnS

stabout
1st Nov 2006, 16:33
CHC Scotia introduced a 50/50 roster last year.

You either work 7days on 7days off or 5on 2off 5on 9off 5on 2off 6on 8off (In simple terms Monday-Friday with one Saturday every six weeks) .

Bond helicopters are introducing a similar equal time roster.

I think if you want quality of life and time off then helicopters are the way forward.

gashshag1
14th Feb 2007, 01:03
I agree with DXBPilot. I`m flying fixed wing pax out of Stansted and i find the pay too good to fly choppers and jobs are relatively easy to come by once you have hours and type ratings. Choppers are far the greatest fun but really difficult to get good safe jobs-look at airline fixed wing pilot loss of licence fees compared to north sea helicopter loss of licence fees. I used to fly the boys out of Aberdeen to Scatsta by aircraft they were working hard. I take my hat off and drink vast quantities of beer to them:}

Vortex Thing
18th Feb 2007, 00:53
I'm with gashshag1 on this. Rotorary wing for show, fixed wing for a pro.

Helicopters are the thing that was best before sliced bread but unfortunately unless you want your family to grow up in schools where marrying your sister is the law and having 6 toes is normal, then trying to get a job anywhere nice is very very hard indeed without literaly thousands of hours.

Lots of the ex SNCO aircrew with 3-4k hrs struggle to get a sensible location on rotary.

Comments about IR usually being paid for in RW world are pretty much true. HAI is one that I haven't visited but heard very good things about. Most low hr cpl h go abroad or onto instruction until 2000hrs or so.

Personally unless you have vast spare amounts of spare cash 80k or so and can afford the turbine ratings on the end I would go with the fixed wing route as it pays more than double at the top end, progression is pretty much guaranteed. ( Not saying you will get it in UK , but at least you have the choice). The caveat is if you can get CHC or Bristows at the right moment then bviuosly go for it but as for sponsorship apply for everything just dont' expect to get anything accept that you are going to pay £65k whichever route you go and if it is less due to some luck or good fortune on the way then thats a bonus and save it for a type rating or upgrade at some other point in the future.

A Trg Cpt can pretty much guarantee £80-£150k in a jet job more with the big base cpt roles and senior posns. Nobodoy comes close to that in RW world even guys with all the specialities NVG, TRE etc with numerous types S-76, A109, AS355, As365 etc don't get that much.

So back to my opening gambit. If you want the sound of freedom as you use your blade beat to wake up Aberdeen in the morning or fancy police or HEMS then get the chequebook out prepare to loose 5yrs of your life, go the Iraq route via suitable establishments or get down to SA, NZ or USA to get your fATPL sorted when u have finished uni of course :)

If you want to go FW then again apply for everything then get a licence anyway u can in the cheapest possible place then come back to UK for IR and do and instructors rating. It is such a good way to get expereince if you are not going the mil route. My view is the mil route is best but being ex Army myself if u want the best flying join the RAF or the Navy they treat thier aircrew as pilots! See mil forums for more

Good luck, done both and both are fun in different ways. VT
Just don't forget if you go RW put the lever down son :zzz:

Bredrin
7th May 2008, 17:35
Lots of good paying Fixed wing jobs especially once you move up to big jets.....BUT.....there is nothing greater than the feeling of rotary wing flight. Fixed for the money and location and rotary for the love of flying.

preduk
7th May 2008, 18:11
Marc,

I see your from Glasgow and can only assume your studying at Glasgow uni. Have you spoken to the heli lads at Cumbernauld? There seems to be a good amount of training going on these days with helis they also have a helicopter transport company there (can't remember their name) who might be able to give you a bit of advice.