PDA

View Full Version : No ID checks on BA Domestic flights?

SteveSmith
26th Oct 2006, 13:23
On a few occasions recently, I've boarded BA domestic flights having checked in online, and not had any ID checked at any point. I could have used anybody's name (or anybody could have used mine) to get onto the flight?

Other carriers I've flown with recently (Easyet, Ryanair and Jet2) always check photo ID at the gate, as well as at check-in if you check-in in person.

Anyone know why BA don't check ID? Is it legal? Does it matter?

Thanks,

Steve.

Globaliser
26th Oct 2006, 15:15
Anyone know why BA don't check ID? Is it legal? Does it matter?The airlines that do check ID for domestic flight are usually doing it only for revenue protection purposes. Given that ID hasn't been routinely checked by BA for domestic flights for as long as I've been doing them, it seems very unlikely that there's any legal requirement for them to do so.

Yes, it does open the way for you to use someone else's ticket. But if you knowingly do that, it's still fraud.

Crowe
26th Oct 2006, 16:07
It's not just BA, BD do it as well. Similar in Europe domestically (and presumably within Schengen as well?).

PaperTiger
26th Oct 2006, 16:08
Is it legal? Does it matter?Yes it is.
No it doesn't.

howflytrg
26th Oct 2006, 16:44
WHen you have checked in and pass through security your photo is taken and a barcoded tag placed on your boarding card.
When you leave the IDL and head towards the domestic gates your photo is taken again and compared with the one stored on computer with the bar code.

Is it legal? YES

Does it matter?...as for passport checks..no unless the only alternate is going to be on foreign soil

WHBM
26th Oct 2006, 17:05
Anyone know why BA don't check ID? Is it legal? Does it matter?

We must be careful not to get into American style ID-itis.

There is no legal requirement for this except for passport checks for entry into foreign countries, which obviously domestics do not fall into.

Checking ID adds no value to the security process, and indeed gives a false sense of security by being able to say "the passenger complied". The 9/11 hijackers had immaculate ID, of course.

As here in the UK driving licences have (until recent ones) no photographs on them, most UK citizens go about their everyday life with no photo ID on them. Yet life goes on as normal.

Regarding showing ID on domestics being a revenue management issue, it is notable that it is done by the low fares airlines, where their T&Cs are that if you do not show it you do not travel, forfeit your fare and they keep the revenue. On BA where many are travelling on flexible, refundable tickets the airline will be losing out financially if they deny you boarding (quite apart from ticking you off for future travel with them) as you will claim your money back.