PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0????

BRL
25th Oct 2006, 20:26
Is it as good as it is made out to be?

I am thinking of buying it.

Cheers... :)

amanoffewwords
25th Oct 2006, 20:39
Don't know.

Me, myself and I are thinking of actually paying for AVG - that is the new, all singing, all dancing Internet Security suite - encompassing anti-virus, anti-Spyware/malware, anti-spam/phishing and firewall - all for a reasonable two-year licence and all try-able.

amofw

Mac the Knife
25th Oct 2006, 21:22
..and another vote for AVG (tho' I only use the pro AV).

Effective and doesn't clog up your system or infiltrate it like Norton. Very reasonable price and all issues dealt with promptly.

ALSO they do quite a competent free version for people who can't afford the whole megillah and I think this should be encouraged. The free version update servers are a bit slow, but them's the breaks....

:ok:

nasib
25th Oct 2006, 21:30
I've used Kaspersky for quite a while now. I've never had any problems with it. On the rare occasion I've had a technical question I found their support prompt and very efficient. Having said all that, I've got nothing to compare it to. I'm no techie, but it's worked for me and (touch wood) I've never had a virus problem.

Nasib

future captain
25th Oct 2006, 21:59
I have used it and found it to be decent, ive also used NOD32 which i highly recommend. Norton i find is to resource hungry, avast is not as good as its free competitior AVG, Macafee is ok, but not too good. I rate nod32 and kaspersky, and for free, avg.

rotorcraig
25th Oct 2006, 22:30
AVG free for me too - has worked well (touch wood) for the last few years here.

RC

gas path
25th Oct 2006, 22:32
FWIW I use Avast and have downloaded it about half a dozen times for other people, not one has had an issue with it.:ok:
Seems to work quietly in the background and updates sometimes twice a day.

planecrazy.eu
25th Oct 2006, 22:38
Another vote for AVG, free or paid.

Norton AVG = 0 Virus's
Free AVG = 17 Virus's

I am taking it, Free AVG is Grisoft AVG?

I have had it since day one, and more or less there day one of the release, i sware by it, it catches loads and loads, infact, i have not had a virus since i had it. And i download all the time, friends with norton have virus's every week.

I used norton with my laptop a few months back as it was free, i installed AVG after the trial and it showed up 17 virus;s that norton had missed for the 30days. Tut Tut norton, get it together...

Lancelot37
25th Oct 2006, 23:02
Is it as good as it is made out to be?

I am thinking of buying it.

Cheers... :)

I've used it for years. Not much out there to beat it. Read the tests in the good computer magazines. It stops more virus problems than any other anti-virus program. It's mostly used by the big companies who have a lot to loose if they catch a virus. It's not so well known by the public.

Tarq57
26th Oct 2006, 02:50
I use Avast home, never a problem. Haven't used Kaspersky, but here's some pretty good reviews of a few AV's, "k" included (doesn't rate too well in the latest version, NOD32 gets the nod here.) http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/83.htm
Of the freebies, Avira scores best at AV comparatives (if you put much stock in those...it's a guide), almost as good as the top pay AV's. Except it doesn't have POP3 in the free edition.
The best kind of defense is layered. Nothing wrong with having a few applications from different vendors. SIf one of them gets disabled, you still have some defense. Antispyware is probably as important as AV these days. And a good trojan killer is a must.

IO540
26th Oct 2006, 07:16
I've been using Kaspersky for a few years, home and business. Never had any problem with it. It's good robust well written software.

Unlike the Norton/Symantec sh*t which messes up the machine and occassionally throws up compatibility issues with applications. Same comment for McAfee. These programs routinely come on cheap laptops in teh form of 30/90-day trial versions, and are a pig to remove; verging on impossible if you wait until the free period runs out.

Recently I have been using Avast and it seems to work. It's free, which is pretty good. I suppose they hope to make money on the upmarket versions.