PDA

View Full Version : getting that first break

flap2equality
25th Oct 2006, 20:13
Hi all,
I am sure many of you who are regular on here will have seen these questions many times before, but frankly i am only interested in answers to my questions and not somebody elses.
I have not been on here for a while, as it is hard to swallow people slating their jobs as pilots when i am back driving trucks:ugh:
I have had a chat with a friend who is employed in the states as a CFI, but he is unable to answer all my questions, so i thought with the combined knowledge of everybody on here i might get some answers.
Basicaly i have a NZ CPL(H) at 152Hrs on the H300. I havnt flown for 18 months now and am desperate to get back in the air and to be paid for doing it!! However money as allways is a factor IE I dont have much:{ :{ .
What i would like to do is go to the states convert, study and get CFI, get employed and then get IF rating.
But it seem the USA's policy on visas is going to be a stumbling block.
DOES ANYONE KNOW A WAY ROUND???
Does anyone have any better suggestions for a path to that first elusive job?
I have considered back to NZ or OZ or maybe canada, anyone with experience of these routes? Please share your story.
And finally to all thouse doubters and 'pint is half empty' types,
I WILL suceed, i WILL find a way and nothing you can say will make me doubt that. I have worked damned hard to get this far and i will not stop now.
P.S I am based in the UK if that makes any difference.
Please please please help. I am not afraid of reasearch but if there are people out there willing and able to point me in the right direction i would appriceate the help.
Thanks in advance.:ok:

jeepys
25th Oct 2006, 21:11
Understand totally.

First think where do you want to end up. In the States, NZ, OZ, Canada, Uk?????
I know you probably think I dont care as long as I get a job and paid for flying, but you do need a plan especially if time is not on your side ie age.
The states is a good start provided you can get a visa.
Have you thought about doing the JAA exams in the mean time either full time or self study? It,s not as expensive as flying but it will progress you further. Once you have passed the exams get 185 hrs and take the flight test to get your JAA CPL. At least if the North Sea went through another boom like it has recently you would be in a better position and ready to go.
If the UK is of no interest to you then try the states. Plenty of work as an instructor.
Decide what the final goal is then let me know.
Good luck.

Gordy
25th Oct 2006, 23:33
"Plenty of work as an instructor."

That's his problem---he has a commercial therefore he does not qualify for a J-visa work authorization.

Sorry---do'nt know what to tell you.

flap2equality
26th Oct 2006, 16:58
basically looking at ending up in NZ as a resident. But as allready stated iam happy to live and work anywhere in the world. ( i was once told that flexability goes a long way).
Dont really have asperations to work in the UK, cos iam no longer a fan of my own country and its govenments policies. Plus seems like hard work dealing with british airspace, So the ultimate goal is NZ, but even if that happens i dont see myself setteling for too long as i love to travel.
Thanks to hughesy for the pm, and any more info/advise is allways greatfuly reiceved.:ok:
F2E

helonorth
26th Oct 2006, 18:32
Is it that difficult to get a J-1 visa? I trained at Helicopter Adventures and was one of the few Americans there. Lots of Scandinavians. I think you are limited to 24 months including training and are able to instruct only.
I would call Helicopter Adventures in Florida and talk to Sam(antha). She will be able to answer all questions. Good luck.

flap2equality
27th Oct 2006, 18:39
the problem i have is that i allready have a commercial licence and apparently on that basis i cannot get a j-1.
Do you think they would cross reference details if i was to say i had 152 hrs but failed my commercial? or is this dodgy ground????

thecontroller
27th Oct 2006, 19:12
in my experience there they never checked what licence you had. nor did they check your logbook

my advice is to train in the country you want to work in. going to the USA will not save you any money in the long run, if you want to work in the UK. its not as cheap as it first appears

Gordy
1st Nov 2006, 15:30
in my experience there they never checked what licence you had. nor did they check your logbook
my advice is to train in the country you want to work in. going to the USA will not save you any money in the long run, if you want to work in the UK. its not as cheap as it first appears

I think they check these days........