PDA

View Full Version : Bleep...bleep...bleep

Durka_Durka
25th Oct 2006, 12:28
Hi, im a few weeks away from oasc and looking forward to it, i know its been covered loads here an everyone is prob fed up but does anyone know what score the raf expect for the bleep test?

I have a list from the AFCO CO which says 10.6 and above is excellent and naturally i am aiming higher than this to give me the best chance of success. As i am currently running at around level 12 and have heard many conflicting ideas of what an 'excellent' score is i was just wondering if any older and wiser individuals know any more.

Cheers, DD

GPMG
25th Oct 2006, 12:34
Stop playing Battlefield 2. Load up 2142 and start shooting down Titan's thats far better training.

Pontius Navigator
25th Oct 2006, 12:34
standby incoming

ShyTorque
25th Oct 2006, 12:50
From personal experience, don't bust a gut. Achieve a good standard which you can obviously already do, but my advice would be: don't aim for olympic standards, leave something in reserve.

Reason? The RAF training system has to be shown to prove itself. If you are accepted you will undoubtedly later be expected to improve your score even further.

I was a very fit young chap when I joined. I had worked full time as a builder's labourer for two years and my main hobby was running, three or four times a week, about 25 to 30 miles in total. On my initial fitness test I ran like the wind and beat everyone by a large margin, as I could in almost any physical test (such as climb a rope to the gym ceiling using hands only). Three months later, I found myself more often than not classroom bound and unable to keep as physically fit as I been accustomed. I could still beat everyone else but my personal score had diminished slightly.

I was criticised for lack of fitness and therefore lack of effort. Go figure that one.

The old "hairy" retreads (NCOs being commisioned) laughed like drains and one of them, a good mate, told me they all saw it coming a mile off, although none of them could catch me running on a bike.

Good luck at OASC! :ok:

airborne_artist
25th Oct 2006, 13:00
D_D - the bleep test really is a waste of time IMHO. It does very little to test your stamina over longer (hours) periods.

If you pass OASC and haven't already done so, start running at a sensible rate (7-8 mins/mile) for 7-10 miles, and swimming say 40-60 x 25m lengths. That's the kind of fitness that will make life at Cranwell so much easier.

smugley
25th Oct 2006, 13:08
Here's the advice I was given:
The OASC process scores you in several different areas i.e. aptitude, fitness, problem solving etc. Some of these areas, such as hand-eye coordination, are very much a natural thing, as opposed to fitness, which you can improve up to any level you want (in theory).
Your overall pass/fail result will depend on your combined scores, the higher you score in the fitness area will obviously help your overall performance, so get the top result if you're capable. Level 12 is none too shabby, but it does depend on your age group.
At the time of my testing, your beep-test scores varied from poor to excellent, I can't quite remember the exact levels. However, over a certain level, excellent is awarded. There is no higher score, so once you've achieved excellent, all you are doing is a, wasting effort or b, challenging your own personal record (depends on your point of view).
In my opinion if level 12 is excellent then it doesn't matter if you reach level 16, the score written down is excellent. Full stop.
Once I reached the first level of excellent I carried on for a while (not that long, I hasten to add) and then focused my energy on the next event rather than risk an injury.
Best of luck at OASC, but don't neglect the other skills you'll need!
:)

Durka_Durka
25th Oct 2006, 13:20
Thnks everyone, will take the advice on board, cant wait to get going now. With a little luck i will be saluting many of you guys soon.

Bob Viking
25th Oct 2006, 15:49
Did a bleep test last week and seem to remember for guys under 25 it was something like 15:3 to get an excellent.
I only got to level 17:2 this time. I must be getting old.
BV:cool:

SamCaine
25th Oct 2006, 16:28
With a little luck i will be saluting many of you guys soon.
Salute me and I'll laugh at you :p

Wycombe
25th Oct 2006, 16:41
"Don't salute me, I work for a living" as a crusty WO once told me, after throwing one up in error when I didn't know any better.

airborne_artist
25th Oct 2006, 16:45
You'd need to fail the eyesight test before you salute me - my last substantive rank was Corporal, yet I had previously graduated from BRNC.

Work that one out..

Anyway, you are saluting the Queen's Commission, not the individual, despite what they might say....

wokawoka
25th Oct 2006, 19:01
Chap,
You need to get 10.6 and above. It will give you an extra 1/2 mark out of not many (Can't remember if its out of 5,6 etc but I was explained this by a recruiter).
Average will give you nout and a low score (dont know how long) will give you nout as well (I think, it s been a long time).
BUt it was 10.6 6 years ago for me to get 1/2 a mark extra. Go for it.

muppetofthenorth
25th Oct 2006, 19:16
Echoing what has been said, don't overdo it on the bleep test [there are press ups and sit ups too].

I went to OASC, busted a gut on the bleep test to get a good score [12, i think] but then was utterly shagged [not the good kind] by the time the hanger ex's started.

Incidentally, I had to requal for the fitness test recently for the UAS, we only needed 9.10 to 'pass'.....

buoy15
26th Oct 2006, 02:02
.../---/...