PDA

View Full Version : pass 1 fail 2

R2000/1830
25th Oct 2006, 01:37
I am going to my second interview in November, for the people who know, Why do people fail the second interview? I wonder if at the first you do good on the quiz and ace the tech questions, impress the HR guy where do things go wrong on the second. If what I am told is true, there is no quiz at the second and the HR/Tech interview is the same, the medical is routine, Math and English test does not have much weight. Then if you dont get it, it must be because of A)SIM B)Group exercise c)Cocktail party.
Any help would be great as I dont want to fail the second interview and want to be fully prepared.:sad:

wannabepilot1531
25th Oct 2006, 02:09
I am not completely sure because i have not been to either of the interviews, but from what i read on this forum, it seems to me that people have the most trouble with the 747 SIM.

Good Luck:ok:

Harbour Dweller
25th Oct 2006, 02:10
R2000/1830,

Your thoughts are pretty accurate (I think anyway).

If you have made Round 2 then CX wants to employ you. As recruiting may say.. There are jobs for everyone, it is not a competition. The only way you won't be successful is if you talk your way out of a job.

Having said that the Sim is VERY important. Improvement and the ability to learn from you mistakes and correct them (ie: can you be trained) is part of what they look for.

Another part of the interview which I believe is very important and often overlooked is "Why CX & HKG?". You will need to prove that you are committed to HKG, CX and expat living. This is very important too for you partner/wife if they come with you. Make sure they are positive in their answers & body language.

ie. a guy was asked why he had not applied to EK. He stated that he didn't want to live in the Sandpit. Asked if he had ever visited there he replied "no, I have not". When asked later how many times he had been to HKG he said this was his first visit. He was then nailed on why living in HKG would be any different to living in the Sandpit seeing he really had experienced neither. He couldn't really give a good answer. He was caught out by lack of preparation on his personal side. He was not employed

Above all, try and relax. It is one of the better recruiting experiences.

Good luck :ok:

Sike
25th Oct 2006, 03:10
I will agree that after the first interview I feel like showing your actual desire to work at Cathay and possibly live in Hong Kong is huge, if not 50% of the interview. I was very positive about the company and the expat experience. My tech interview wasn't perfect, but I still got invited to HK in November.

On a lighter note, this is going to worth the trip regardless of whether or not I get the job. Has anyone else seen the hotel we will be staying in? Beats the hell out of the Holiday Inn Express and La Quintas I'm staying in now :ok:

Bandito
25th Oct 2006, 11:59
I will agree that after the first interview I feel like showing your actual desire to work at Cathay and possibly live in Hong Kong is huge, if not 50% of the interview. I was very positive about the company and the expat experience. My tech interview wasn't perfect, but I still got invited to HK in November.

On a lighter note, this is going to worth the trip regardless of whether or not I get the job. Has anyone else seen the hotel we will be staying in? Beats the hell out of the Holiday Inn Express and La Quintas I'm staying in now :ok:

The Hotel, Facilities, Gym, Bar, Restaurant and CX City itself are all pretty good. The complex on a whole pretty impressive i thought. Make sure you visit the 22(23rd?) floor GUESTS LOUNGE for a coffee. Well worth the view, or for a bit of preparation/motivation.

On the recruitment side, I honestly beleive that there is importance in all aspects of the process here. There is some 'total package' that they are looking for. Dont underestimate the cocktail party or group exercise, I doubt they would waste their time if they were not grading it somehow.

Good luck to all, enjoy that 'Lighter Side' it will probably show through in your attitude. :ok:

R2000/1830
28th Oct 2006, 16:40
Do many people fail due to the math test

Numero Crunchero
28th Oct 2006, 16:57
Something I learnt from my Air Force days. When I was on pilot's course I assumed there was a 50% failure rate. When I became an instructor I learnt that we wanted to pass everyone but 50% manage to fail themselves. Keep that in mind!
CX wouldn't bother to invite you for a 2nd interview if they didn't want you. From some of my ex-interviewer friends...don't be defensive...dont' blame others for life's misshaps. Have a sense of humour....accept that you are neither the best or worst pilot that has ever lived! The sim....interestingly it appears that improvement is more important than performance.
Look, just remember that CX wants pilots....you want a job....keep it simple and you will get the job.
good luck

xldaddy
29th Oct 2006, 03:36
well put number cruncher, made me feel better.