PDA

View Full Version : FAA - JAA ATP Conversion (Again)

flyingtonka
25th Oct 2006, 01:06
OK here we go again...............
I dabbled on this subject last year and I am now ready to get these flippin exams out of the way:Could someone who really knows what they are talking about answer some of my questions PLEASE ?:)
I currently hold an FAA ATP (Helicopter) I have 3500+ hours pilot in command helicopters of which 1000 are in pistons, 2000 are light single turbine aircraft & 500 hours Sikorsky S76 B pilot in command (two crew IFR)
What do I really need to convert my licence to a JAA ATP(Helicopter)
Can I self study for the written exams without attending a ground school such as Oxford or an approved "distance learning" course such as Bristol GS?
I know I have 13 exams to take, of which 2 are helicopter specific. But can I buy the course material from Bristol GS, study at my leisure without having to do progress tests, take the two week crammer at Bristol GS then sit the exams without a sign off?
Can I take the flight exam in an approved Category D Full Motion Simulator such as the S76 Sim or AW139 Sim?
Do I need to take the IFR flight test?
If i need to take the IFR flight test can I take the flight exam in an approved Category D Full Motion Simulator such as the S76 Sim or AW139 Sim?
As you can appreciate, I am keen to get the studying underway but I really need to get my questions answered so I know which direction I should be going in.:{
Thanks for your answers (in advance):D

tottigol
25th Oct 2006, 02:05
I talked to Bristol GS a few days back, they can sell you the CD with the exam guide and all questions for 350 Pounds Sterling.
I am still waiting for an answer from CAA.SGR (SRG?) with regards to some of the exams with:
FAA ATPL/H, 6000+ hrs PIC Helos and Multicrew training approved by one of the European Union Countries adhering to JAA.

rudestuff
25th Oct 2006, 18:33
As a holder of an ICAO ATP, you are not required to have any formal ground training before you sit the ATPL exams. No sign offs. No 2 week crammer course. Just take the exams. I'd do a bit of study first, of course... Bristols online question bank is supposed to be really good.

can't you about checkrides though. Download LASORS from the CAA

Rotorbike
25th Oct 2006, 19:49
I asked this simulator question of the CAA 18 months ago and at the time was informed that the initial checkride could not be done in the simulator.

Once you have the Instrument/ATPL portion completed types could be added via simulator training.

:ugh:

You could of course do the checkride in the S76 aircraft, without training, as you have 500 hours on type. Subject to having 1000 hours multi pilot.

The ATPL requirements that you are looking for are in the LASORS Section G3.5 http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/SECTION%20G.pdf

flyingtonka
27th Oct 2006, 12:35
Thanks so far for your answers.

As regards Multi Crew time / aircraft type. Where in Lasors can I find this info, could someone reply with the link to lasors section???? so I can see what the CAA approves as multi crew aircraft

Thanks From Yankland :ok:

heliman500
28th Jan 2008, 18:25
Direct from the LASORS:

ATPL (H) holders who have a minimum of 1000
hours flying experience as PIC or Co-pilot on
multi-pilot helicopters and hold a valid multi-pilot type
rating for the helicopter to be used for the ATPL (H)
skill test and have at least 500 hours experience as
pilot on that type, will be exempted from the
requirements to complete an approved TRTO course
or undergo approved training prior to undertaking the
theoretical knowledge examinations, and the skill test.
Pilots with less than 500 hours experience as pilot on
the type to be used for the ATPL (H) skill test will be
exempted from the requirements to undergo approved
training prior to undertaking the theoretical knowledge
examinations but will still be required to complete an
approved type rating course. However, the course may
be reduced to take account of previous experience on
the same type upon recommendation by the TRTO to
PLD.

Here is the link: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_07.pdf