PDA

View Full Version : LPL closed due light aircaft crash

SM82
24th Oct 2006, 18:19
Reports say a light aircraft has crashed on the end of the runway at Liverpool and aircraft has ended up in the nearby field. Pilot and passenger ok but airport is closed.

sam white
24th Oct 2006, 21:29
I was flying over LVP airport around six this evening and saw blue flashing lights and heard an a/c divert due to lack of fire cover, the fire crew were attending an incident on approach. The story reported would seem to be refering to this incident.

Glad to hear they got out.

SW.

Pilot RatBoy
24th Oct 2006, 22:10
I am so glad they only suffered 'minor' injuries. I have done most of my training so far with Ravenair, all be it from Barton. Any details of who was involved or which aircraft it was would be greatly appreciated. Here is the latest from the Beeb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/6082204.stm

IB4138
24th Oct 2006, 22:17
Cessna 182P, G-BTHA.

Phileas Fogg
24th Oct 2006, 22:38
Incoming flights from Dublin and Madrid were diverted to East Midlands airport, but flights are now believed to be landing as normal.

And there was no closer alternate to LPL than EMA, not MAN, not BLK, not BHX etc?

submariner
24th Oct 2006, 23:02
I don't know what the policy is on Company diversions, and I can only speak from a PAX perspective, but whilst BLK is certainly closer, EMA can be more convenient that MAN, the Journey time isnt that much more but you can transit the terminal much quicker, particularly with luggage, so overall there probably isnt much in it. BHX is a similar distance to EMA, but the congested M6 makes it a nightmare journey, particularly at that time of the day.

If I can't use LPL for flights, I tend to use EMA (or BHX if off-peak flights). I only use MAN for charter destinations not avail from the other airports, (For long-haul I use the London airports) as I find this more convenient.

Chilli Monster
24th Oct 2006, 23:10
Incoming flights from Dublin and Madrid were diverted to East Midlands airport, but flights are now believed to be landing as normal.
And there was no closer alternate to LPL than EMA, not MAN, not BLK, not BHX etc?

The two flights concerned were Easy and Ryanair - EMA being an operating base for both airlines, unlike the other airports you mentioned. That probably had something to do with it.

Nov71
25th Oct 2006, 00:42
Where I live, close to M6 Man 15min, LPL 35, EMA 90 min drive off peak

WindSheer
25th Oct 2006, 04:41
The two flights concerned were Easy and Ryanair - EMA being an operating base for both airlines, unlike the other airports you mentioned. That probably had something to do with it.

That would have had everything to do with it!!
Its all about the coin with those two airlines. Diverting into a non company base means stumping up a hefty landing fee, and getting whatever handling is available - again with a hefty fee!!
The extra mileage and inconvenience for the pax would not get a look!!

AltFlaps
25th Oct 2006, 06:57
All about the coin with those type of airlines ??

Now, I'm no lover of the low cost mob, but with all airlines its all about the coin !

FlapsOne
25th Oct 2006, 07:14
Windsheer

Good guess but wrong.

I work for one of them and we certainly use the most appropriate alternate for each destination. Indeed the standard alternate for one of the London bases is not an operating base for the company. That alternate is used simply because it is more convenient for pax relocation after the 'deed'.

Fact is, if other factors are equal, places lke MAN won't want 'routine' (non-emergency) diversions.

Yellow Snow
25th Oct 2006, 07:58
Hi,
can the mods please explain why this has been moved from Rumours and News:ugh:
Considering some of the rubbish on there, how can this not be News???????

smith
25th Oct 2006, 12:20
All flights should have a designated landing alternate and appropriate fuel for diverting to and landing at that alternate. This designated landing alternate would have been derived prior to take off and placed on a flight plan. Therefore there was no decision to be made by the pilots their, alternate had already been planed before the diversion took place.

BOAC
25th Oct 2006, 12:25
YS - apart from the light a/c crash, this is a non-event - that is why it was moved. It could have gone to 'Private Flying' but as it happens is better here - with a re-direct on R&N. Not only R&N carries 'News'.

WHBM
25th Oct 2006, 12:44
I am sure those injured (fortunately only to a minor extent apparently) in the Cessna will be a bit gobsmacked to find the thread about their accident is mostly taken up with posturing about low-cost airlines and hence has had to be put over to Spectators Balcony, of all places. Gentlemen, shall we ALL wish these two chaps well ?

BOAC
25th Oct 2006, 13:15
WH - I'm sure that is taken as read? That is life on PPRune, I'm afraid.