PDA

View Full Version : Did you work on the Victor?

Victor231
24th Oct 2006, 14:30
Hi All,

Did you work on the Victor during its time in service? If so the team of lusty lindy at Elvington are looking for experienced guys to come and lend a hand!

For those of you who don't know, Lindy (XL231) is still fully operational, although not flyable with all systems still operable and functioning correctly. We have just carried out a repaint and as such she looks superb. We are there every Sunday so feel free to come and say hello.

For more info please PM me or go to www.lustylindy.co.uk (http://www.lustylindy.co.uk). Alternatively you can contact me on [email protected]

Cheers

Ollie

Victor231
28th Oct 2006, 14:49
Hi,

Additionally, if anyone has the wiring diagrams for the MFS (Military Flight System), they would come in very useful, we are currently tracking down a fault and unfortunatly the Vol10 (Electrical Manual) just doesnt cut it for where plug breaks are etc for the MFS. Wiring diagrams for the RWR would also be useful as they seem to be rarer than a rare thing!

Cheers

Ollie

ZH875
28th Oct 2006, 22:36
The wiring for the RWR (ARI 18228 /11/12 IIRC) is pretty much standard across all the 18228 variants, so unless you are after the location of the plug breaks, or the fuses, any version should enable you to check the cables etc.

Do you have a particular snag?

(background of all ARI 18228 versions from /1 to /21)

Victor231
29th Oct 2006, 08:25
Cheers ZH875,

Unfortunatly the location of the fuses is exactly what we are after. The RAF nicked the RWR when Lindy came out of service and we have only recently been able to aquire the PSU power supply, the Reciever and the two RF heads! We have the display and the control unit however. We are about to install these boxes for the first time, however, we do not know if the RAF, since they removed the RWR before the aircraft flew into elvington, put dummy fuses in place of real ones! If we can't find their location we will just have to search through all the fuse panels in the cockpit as the mod number for the RWR installation should still be on the wiring next to the fuse holder...we hope!

Thanks for your help

ZH875
29th Oct 2006, 13:47
The 115vac fuses are more likely to be in a location near the PSU,as the main power is just switched in the PSU and fed to the rest of the LRIs.

Good luck with the re-installation, and I hope you dont have any mini coax nightmares...

Victor231
29th Oct 2006, 19:08
Fortunatly the plugs are still on the looms so we won't have to rewire the coaxes. That would be a mission. One of the guys who works on the Jet first installed the RWR back in the eighties during a major at St Athan and said it was an absolute nightmare doing the coaxes!

Thanks for your advice, will look out for the fuses

JanotLapin
5th Jan 2009, 09:00
Yes , I worked on Victors at Gaydon 1961 to 63 , but they were MK 1s so what little I can remember after 45 years is probably no good to you . Is the Victor still going? I also worked on Valiants [Gaydon] and Vulcans [Finningley].No postings on this site for years so I assume it,s moribund.