PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Pilots Overseas

RotaryRat
24th Oct 2006, 05:38
Hello Lads & Ladies,

I was wondering about how successful fresh CPL pilots from Australia have gained employment overseas.

I realise there are places that would make a conversion hard for example the UK, however some other places only require a Air Law conversion, obviously Visa requirements factor into the equation as well, I have dual citizenship in Australia as well as Great Britain, I've never been overseas before and would like to combine the experience of venturing to a new country as well finding to find a job.

Apart from CPL hours, I intend to have close to 100 hours Pax charter experience on R-44 before I think of going O/S

Any suggestions/comments??

Cheers !!

gulliBell
24th Oct 2006, 11:15
I've never heard of anyone getting a job overseas with a basic licence, it usually takes a couple of thousand hours experience at least to get that first break to work overseas. But with the current shortage of pilots, I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone were to do it soon, especially if they had IFR.

dragonsfly
24th Oct 2006, 11:22
Let me start by saying that your chances are slim. The reason being, most countries have their fair share of low time guys and girls and so an outsider stands little chance.
However, having worked in many countries myself, I can tell you that their is a shortage of experienced pilots, namely twin IFR drivers. Many employers are not even getting any responses at all to their job ads due to the number of jobs available.
That's good news for you down the track but my advice to you, while you are still fresh from study, get your IREX and your ATPL subjects out of the way NOW and give yourself a head start and you will thank your lucky stars one day that you did.
And above all, don't ever give up. Good luck.
DF

RotaryRat
25th Oct 2006, 07:38
Thanks for the advice guys,

Cheers

pitchlink
25th Oct 2006, 20:18
How about jobs for overseas pilots in Aus? Anything for Twin IFR Offshore experienced pilot with 9500hrs? Looking to move with wife and two kids.

Sonofigor
25th Oct 2006, 21:31
How about jobs for overseas pilots in Aus? Anything for Twin IFR Offshore experienced pilot with 9500hrs? Looking to move with wife and two kids.

Pitch Mate when you have a decent amount of hours try again

jetflite
25th Oct 2006, 21:37
Pitchlink - Bristow & CHC are recruiting for pilots at the moment,
also Jayrow are looking for onshore captains.

try running a search on google for Australian employment websites.
Most advertise in the Australian. (newspaper)

JF

Sonofigor
25th Oct 2006, 21:40
:confused: :} :} :} :} :} How about jobs for overseas pilots in Aus? Anything for Twin IFR Offshore experienced pilot with 9500hrs? Looking to move with wife and two kids.

dragonsfly
26th Oct 2006, 15:12
The following website will show the jobs advertised in the Australian Newspaper every Friday. It's often referred to as the "Career Advisor". You will see a few jobs that have recently been advertised and someone with Twin IFR time and 9500hrs shouldn't find it too difficult to get a job.
www.afap.org.au Then select "Latest Job Ads in Australia and the Pacific".
We don't have the equivalent of Helidata Magazine or Flight International in Aus so most good jobs are advertised here.
DF