PDA

View Full Version : Ranksof squadron boses in the RAF

cornwallis
23rd Oct 2006, 16:47
To settle an argument on a different forum ,which RAF squadron has the most senior/junior boss?

Max Contingency
23rd Oct 2006, 17:03
I assume you are talking about flying squadrons (we do have many others!)

There are some sqns (rotary/trg etc) where the OC is a sqn ldr. Sometimes a flt lt may stand in for a lengthy period of time.

Most sqns have a wg cdr OC. Sometimes the OC is promoted gp capt while still in post and holds that rank until starting the next tour.

So in answer to your question flt lt to gp capt.

QFIhawkman
23rd Oct 2006, 17:25
I've got a feeling that cornwallis isn't referring solely to most senior or junior rank commanding a squadron, but rather the least and most senior in terms of time in, age etc.

I could be wrong, and please feel free to correct me if that's the case.

Cornwallis, over to you to clarify.

hobie
23rd Oct 2006, 17:53
If you make a right B$lls of your "thread title" can go back and edit it after posting? .... I can't remember .... :confused:

ChezTanker
23rd Oct 2006, 18:04
Is the title from Allo Allo?:ok:

QFIhawkman
23rd Oct 2006, 18:10
Erm, apple orgies are in udder. I same to have pisted without engaging the broon.

It was indood made clear by the pooster. I quoot:

"Ranksof squadron boses in the RAF"

I did not leak in the root place. I.E. the teatle.

Stupid twot.

(SIQ).

Sorry all!

alex_holbrook
23rd Oct 2006, 18:16
Call me silly here, but I think Cornwallis wants to know which squadron has the most senior boss, and which has the most junior boss.

Max Contingency
23rd Oct 2006, 18:23
Now that is an interesting subject.

Is there a glass ceiling on sqn command at age 40?

All sqn commands are approved by the CAS and there certainly was one previousCAS who made no secret of this maxim.

99redballoons
23rd Oct 2006, 18:40
CINCSTC endorses AOC's recommendations for STC Sqn Command nominations.
No glass ceiling.

Max Contingency
23rd Oct 2006, 18:51
Bow to your knowledge.

I appreciate the argument 'why waste a sqn command on someone who doesnt have the potential to go much higher' ie. performing AND with youth on their side but this must mean that we dont always put the best man or woman into the job?

So what is the oldest age that we know of for someone who got a STC sqn?

BEagle
23rd Oct 2006, 19:23
There is only one rank which really runs a squadron.....

W/O Eng!

Ken Scott
23rd Oct 2006, 20:09
There is only one rank which really runs a squadron.....
W/O Eng!

Said in jest I know, but we don't have engineers on my sqn, of the air or ground variety! That said, the 'ship' does often seem to drift rudderless, so perhaps you have a point....

HOODED
23rd Oct 2006, 20:26
Beagle has a good point there but sadly with all the recent cuts he has few men left to lead. The real question should be why is a Group not run by a Gp Capt a Wing by a Wg Cdr and a Squadron by a Sqn Ldr etc.
If the officer corps did this instead of creating jobs for the boys whilst sacking the real workers at the coalface, the RAF may have a little more money to buy equipment and spares. The Officer to airmen ratio may also become more balanced and paid gardening leave for Star ranks could be abolished.:ugh:

soddim
23rd Oct 2006, 22:24
circa 1976 By Gen Haig 'The British forces comprise mainly Admirals and Bands'

We seem to have lost the bands

The Swinging Monkey
24th Oct 2006, 07:28
HOODED,
Come off it man, you cannot possibly reduce the Senior Officer/Airship Brigade - absolute No No.
After all, who would there be to invite to all of those RIAT parties at Fairford each year??

Kind regards to all
TSM

Pontius Navigator
24th Oct 2006, 07:43
So what is the oldest age that we know of for someone who got a STC sqn?

Generally sqn cdrs do not prat around with "I am 40" badges on. In NEAF we had one who definitely on a sunshine tour. I guess mid-late 40s or even pushing 50. He got gp capt not too long before he retired. A real gent.

His replacement also seemed old. He had already been a sqn CO as a sqn ldr and seemed a little out of place in a new role. He eventually left on promotion and was posted to 18 Gp in yet another role change. He was short toured and got Scampton. Last I heard he retired as a 3* AOC 18 Gp, COMAIREASTLANT, COMAIRCHAN etc. As Brucey would say, " didn't he do . . . "

airborne_artist
24th Oct 2006, 07:49
Come off it man, you cannot possibly reduce the Senior Officer/Airship Brigade - absolute No No.
After all, who would there be to invite to all of those RIAT parties at Fairford each year??

How many of the turkeys have voted for Christmas since Options for Change? Have any of the services reduced the number of 1* and above in line with the reduction in "troops".

spectre150
24th Oct 2006, 09:59
circa 1976 By Gen Haig 'The British forces comprise mainly Admirals and Bands'
We seem to have lost the bands

Has anyone informed Admiral Sir Jonathon Band?

bad livin'
24th Oct 2006, 11:44
As CINCFLEET, Adm Band totally silenced our wardroom a while back by openly and very loudly insulting the physical stature of a senior member of my department in front of his peers and CO.

What a charmer.

Art Field
24th Oct 2006, 14:05
Band, yes he should be!!!!.

cornwallis
25th Oct 2006, 21:24
The answer i was looking for was rank not age.I thank you all for your answers.To diverge a bit perhaps I could ask the question again over non-flying units and extend it to all of the UK forces.I must get a new computer keyboard!