PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rid of M*A**e Software

seacue
23rd Oct 2006, 13:49
I've been researching ways to get rid of the McAfee security / antivirus software that came on my new PC. It does not appear in the Windows Control Panel Add/Remove list. The M*A*** online support tech suggested I reload the software, which he claimed would make its removal visible in the Control Panel. Reload from where???

This disn't seem like a great idea to me so I have continued my search.

I just came across MCPR.exe on their support site which claims to remove a wide range of their consumer products 2005 and newer. It would seem to be just what I need.

Has anyone here tried MCPR.exe?

Thanks,

seacue

OPSQUEEN
23rd Oct 2006, 14:12
Once you've removed any of its programmes from My Computer, Control Panel, some components may still be around. You might like to try going into My Computer, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. There may be about 4 references to M....af....e, click on them, and select Stop the Service.

Might help.

:ok:

frostbite
23rd Oct 2006, 14:29
Also, have a good search in the Registry - probably peppered with MA rubbish.

BLUE SKY THINKER
23rd Oct 2006, 15:16
seacue . . . . .

I can't quite fathom out whether you mean the program is still there in its entirety, but you can't get it out, or whether it's out and you are left with various references to it; files, registry entries, etc.

If you mean the former, a number of well known programs like HijackThis and Spybot list uninstall commands for programs on your PC that you can utilise via "Run...". These have helped me on one occasion where I had no information in Add/Remove. There are also specific 'Uninstall Manager' programs that shouldn't be too hard to find via Google.

If you mean the the latter, suggest you might want to look at this recent thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=244338). No need to wade through it (and rather than me going for a major rewrite on the subject) go to Post #12 and for Norton, read McAfee and take a look at RegCleaner. Then go to Post #17 and look at RegSeeker. This post revolves around the 'search' facility, but later in the thread goes on to 'scan', which is relevant with care.

NB: I've updated the link to RegSeeker in the previous thread as it's out now in much improved v.1.52 (even though screen shot shows v1.50).

Farmer 1
23rd Oct 2006, 17:14
I've just uninstalled it today. In the Add/Remove programmes it was listed as McAfee Uninstaller. I was a bit dubious about uninstalling an uninstaller, but that was what the advice said. As soon as I went to remove it, it listed all the McAfee applications.

seacue
23rd Oct 2006, 19:39
Farmer1 - I only have the "uninstaller" listed in Add/Remove Programs. I was not as brave as you about "removing" it. Glad to hear that it really launches an uninstaller. I guess I'll cross all fingers and toes and give it a try.

Thank you.

And to the others, I have yet not taken any actions to uninstall. I wanted to be sure of my actions to avoid being left with a dead machine and lots of lost data.

PPRuNe comes through again.

seacue

Farmer 1
24th Oct 2006, 07:20
I was not as brave as you about "removing" it.
My sentiments entirely, Seacue, but it worked.

Trust me, I'm a pilot.