PDA

View Full Version : Iron Defficiency Anemia

a.nonny.mouse
23rd Oct 2006, 13:38
Hello.

I need a bit of advice.

I'm an ATCO & I've recently had my medical class one suspended due to iron defficiency anemia. The CAA want my doctor to send a letter and state what my blood count is.

About 3 weeks ago it was very very low, Im now taking iron tablets and folic acid tablets. (this is related to a stomach condition that the CAA knows about and are quite "happy" about.)

Questions:
I've done a search on here and on the general internet but to no avail,

1) What is my probable normal blood count and when should it return to a normal level? (how long does it take to get back up to normal counts?)

2) IF my consultant (& indeed my integrity) say that I feel fine and quite safe to work, why are they holding up my licence 'un-suspension'?

3) Any other ATCOs got anemia and maintain there class ones?

Any help during this difficult time is appreciated.

Thanks.:ok:

Nonny.

DX Wombat
27th Oct 2006, 23:14
What do you call "Very, very low"? 7g? 5.5? Normal Hb levels vary with age and gender and, if you are female, stage of menstrual cycle. Anaemia can produce serious tiredness, lethargy, an inability to concentrate amongst other things. I do not need to tell you what the possible lapse of concentration might cause. You say you have a "stomach condition" - this may mean that you are unable to absorb sufficient iron from your diet - I don't know as I do not know what the specific condition is. Make sure you eat a good, healthy diet with plenty of fresh, leafy, green veggies - the fresher the better (raw if possible) and also lots of fruit with a high Vitamin C content. If your condition means you can't eat much of these then talk to your doctor and ask him / her to refer you to a dietician. For the chocoholics who read this: you will probably be pleased to hear that cocoa beans (and therefore chocolate) contain iron ;) - but don't use this as an excuse to eat a huge amount of it with a resultant large weight gain.:= :uhoh:
You may find the information on this website useful http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/QAs/AboutcancerQAs/TestsinvestigationsQAs/Bloodtests/related_faqs/QAs/1168 I know it is a site dedicated to cancer matters but the information seems to be clearly explained. Hope this helps.

Mac the Knife
28th Oct 2006, 05:52
Bit confusing. AS DX says, what do you mean by "very very low"? You say iron deficiency anaemia, but the "stomach" reference suggests pernicious anaemia or previous surgery which would result in a megaloblastic rather than a microcytic (mostly iron-deficiency) anaemia. Or do you have hereditary haemorrhagic telangiectasia or something? Or are you a food faddist?

Your own personal "normal" blood count will depend on the underlying pathology. Anaemia is a relative thing y'know - renal failure patients normally run in the 7g/dl range.

IF it's a pure iron-deficiency anaemia (like that caused by wierd diets [though these normally have multiple deficiencies]) and you're not bleeding from somewhere and your bone marrow is working properly then your blood count should normalise in a few weeks.

I don't know what you did a search for, but what you tell us here is too vague to give much of an answer. Didn't you ask your consultant?

Get well soon :ok:

nicksmalley
28th Oct 2006, 10:54
Get drinking the Guinness mate - that sorted my deficiency out! :D

a.nonny.mouse
28th Oct 2006, 11:38
Many thanks for all your replies. Its really helped.
I now have my class one back.
I still found it quite difficult to find information on the internet, I tried that cancer website originally. I kinda assumed there would be different types of anemia for different conditions.

My stomach condition was ulcerative collitus although it is in remission. My blood test results over a month ago were 7 ish (there was a decimal point-cant recall what though). You'll be as pleased as I am that the levels are 12. (I'm told that is normal for me).

My diet wasnt particularly bad, over the last 6 months I have changed it slightly to bulk up (that may have had an effect). I'm now on iron tablets(taken with orange juice-apparently that helps absorbtion) and increased iron foods (more fruit and more veg). I'm also advised to 'graze' constantly as opposed to 3 larger meals a day. All these things are helping me loads.

The symptoms originally were lethargy and dizziness (and nausea) - of course, I immediately took myself offline, thats plain proffessionalism. My question orignally was, how long before I could expect mt medical back as I was feeling much better. ie; how long after symptoms dissapear do the blood levels return to 'normal range'.

Anyway, problem solved.

Thank you all for your help.
:D :ok:

DX Wombat
28th Oct 2006, 16:35
I'm delighted to hear you are fit and well again, long may that continue :ok::)