PDA

View Full Version : my British Airways treat

high-hopes
21st Oct 2006, 13:51
hello

last Sunday I was travelling on British Airways from Glasgow to Turin in Italy on the route via Gatwick.
I've been flying this route quite frequently (albeit via Stansted or Luton) on low-cost carriers for the past 5 years, without ever incurring in delays of more than 30 minutes, but given good fares available, I decided to treat myself to British Airways (mainline) with which I hadn't been travelling since 1994 (!!)

Turns out that the GLA-LGW flight is 3 hours late, my connection is lost and so is my chance to get to TRN (only one flight a day).
Got transfered to BA connect, to BHX and then on to Milan Malpensa. Eventually got a car to take me to Turin Airport 4 hours after my arrival time on my ticket.

Needless to say they did quite well considering the situation, and I am not complaining, although it was a bit unlucky, the only time I fly BA in 12 years.

Anyway, my question is :
- Having been transfered on to other flights, does it still make me elegible for delay compensations (after all I arrived at my planned destination over 4 hours late)
- Having been "demoted" from BA mainline to BA connect, should I have expected at least free refreshments ? I even had to pay for a cup of coffee and was told to "Take it up to BA customer relations" for refunds. By the way, wrote to them on Monday but haven't heard from them yet.

Bit disappointed... seemed to me that the only difference from them to the low costs was in the uniforms they wear :cool:

Bear in mind it's not a rant. Am not a grumpy pax, and I was grateful they got me to my destination in some way. Just curious, that's all.

Any comments ?

ta

h-h

SXB
21st Oct 2006, 21:27
Bit disappointed... seemed to me that the only difference from them to the low costs was in the uniforms they wear :cool:

Maybe another way to look at this would be to ask what a LCC would have done to help you in the same circumstances ? These types of problems do occur, especially with airlines which offer interconnecting flights (which LCC do not)

For compensation have a look on wikipedia for compensation rules
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Commission_Regulation_261/2004#Notes

nivsy
22nd Oct 2006, 11:24
The GLA-LGW sectors with BA are subject to delay in what I would describe as a frequent basis. Used to use BA a lot on routing to GIB from GLA with a fairly tight connection - that quite frankly if I made it - my baggage did not. Solution? I just gave up and starting using FlyGlobespan with my car being left - free of charge I may add currently at Malaga. never a problem so far with GSM!

Nivsy

rmac
22nd Oct 2006, 18:19
Any kind of delay down south in London zone and Eurocontrol shove the second class citizens of the North to the back of the queue.

I keep an appartment in Edinburgh, and christ is it annoying when it happens so frequently :*