PDA

View Full Version : What is a "procedural go-around?"

josquin
20th Oct 2006, 20:36
Yesterday, I was onboard SQ20 from Singapore to Los Angeles.

We were getting ready to land at LAX, I heard what sounded like the gear dropping, then we went lower and lower to the ground. All that was normal.

Then there was a big engine thrust (very unusual feeling that low the ground), then what felt like a big reduction in speed (giving you the "floating" feeling), another lound sound like more gear dropping, and then a really big engine thrust-up and next thing I knew we were over the water and doing very low turns over LA.

The capitan came on the PA and said "do not be alarmed we have performed a procedural go-around and we will land at the runway." We did another cicle of LAX, came in the same way as the first time, except this time we landed.

What does "procedural go-around" mean?

donpizmeov
20th Oct 2006, 20:54
A procedural go-around is just a normal go-around with a fancy name. When for some reason you are unable to land off an approach ,you conduct a go-around or a missed approach, and set up for another approach to land. They reasons why this would happen are many, it may have been because the aeroplane that landed before yours was late to vacate the runway for example.

The flying pilot would have increased the thrust, and called for a go-around flap setting. After the aircraft had stopped descending and commenced a climb, the pilot flying would call for the landing gear to be retracted. Its not all that different from a take-off, but as it is unexpected by passengers, can sometimes cause them some distress, hence the captain making a PA to let everyone know all is ok.

Hope that explains it.

Don

BOAC
20th Oct 2006, 20:55
An unusual expression in my experience, and maybe due to language issues? I suspect he meant that there was nothing untoward and that the 'normal' g/a pattern was being flown. There are a million threads on PPPRune as to why you might have gone around.:)

Globaliser
22nd Oct 2006, 12:13
... then what felt like a big reduction in speed (giving you the "floating" feeling) ...One of the things that many aircraft have to do in a go-around is to retract the flaps from the landing setting to the take-off setting. Doing that changes the way in which the wings produce lift, so you can get those funny floating feelings just as it happens. You often get the same feelings when the flaps are retracted after a normal take-off.

NudgingSteel
22nd Oct 2006, 22:37
Maybe he was trying to reassure the passengers that the "go-around" was a "procedure", ie something quite straightforward and which happens sometimes.

Doors to Automatic
26th Oct 2006, 20:33
Maybe he was trying to reassure the passengers that the "go-around" was a "procedure", ie something quite straightforward and which happens sometimes.

Most likely reason being that the aircraft landing in front missed an exit and was a bit slow in clearing the runway. Nothing at all to worry about.