PDA

View Full Version : People standing up when the AC has landed?

DUB-GREG
20th Oct 2006, 18:17
When the aircraft gets to stand why do people just jump up and block the isles?

I travel a lot from London to Dublin and Ive noticed that this ALWAYS happens on this route especially when i fly with EI or FR(which is worse).

Its silly, cause people dont get off any faster....:ugh:

Then i flew on a Cityjet flight full of business people a few weeks ago on the same route but from city airport and when we landed everyone stayed seated....

It just drives me mad, seeing people jump up like that, when they cant get off any faster!

baconbabe
20th Oct 2006, 18:25
Totally understand what you mean. Do they think the doors will immediately be opened even when the engines are still shutting down?
I tend to give a few evil looks, shake my head and do a PA telling them to remain seated etc. Infuriating or what?! :confused:

Sparkle
20th Oct 2006, 18:57
I usually announce on the arrival PA that being a woman driver who can't park very well, that it is safer for all concerned to stay seated until I switch off the seatbelt sign. You wouldn't believe, how the Pax suddenly remember discipline!:E

QRCC2B
20th Oct 2006, 19:09
"... until the aircraft has come to a complete stop and the fasten seatbelt sign has been switched off"

I hope none will take offense by my message but you should fly domestically in India where many people do leave their seats as soon as the aircraft has left the runway and stopped due to other aircraft.

I remember one occassion where we had to stand still for around ten minutes as there were no parking space available. Around ten to fifteen people stood up and wouldn't sit down again despite the cabin crew's several attempts with PA.

On another occassion in Bombay after a flight from Colombo, several people stood up by the minute the aircraft had slowed down and was taxiing to the terminal. The male cabin crew had to stand up, clap his hands and shout out loud to them.

And the stories go on and on and on and on...

QRCC2B

Ronaldsway Radar
20th Oct 2006, 20:55
I do feel sorry for cabin crew who have to deal with this 3+ times a day on regional flights!

I fly about quite a bit, and usually you get half the cabin standing up by the time the aircraft has just come to a stop.

On my last flight the poor hostie got incredibly wound up, and after 2 PA's "Just a reminder to please stay seated until the captain turns off the seatbelt signs" she cracked.

"The seatbelt is STILL on. PLEASE sit down until the sign is turned off, this is for your OWN SAFETY! Thank-you."

She still gave a sweet smile and a thank-you to everyone on dis-embarking, true professionalism, which I appluade. :D

RR.

T6NL
20th Oct 2006, 21:05
It just goes to show how stupid so many passengers are these days. They have no idea that it is for their own safety. Some aircraft, particularly those of certain lo-cost carriers, taxy at extremely high speeds - I couldn't imagine what it would be like if the aircraft performed an "emergency stop".

I have flown with several pilots who listen in on the cabin crew's PA whilst taxying in after landing and if they hear a "remain seated" reminder, they jab on the brakes as hard as they can to teach the offenders a lesson!:ok:

DukeKelvin
20th Oct 2006, 22:00
For us CX regional flights are having the same problem:

Stand up and grab their bags from over head lockers or Turn on their bloody mobile phone while engines are still running. ( CX is not allow mobile phone on until engines stop / seatbelt signs off)

It happened a passenger grab her bag from the over head locker right away after touch down but she injured becasue when she opened the overhead locker there's one hard suticase just dropped on her head.

richie-rich
21st Oct 2006, 09:11
perhaps they dont understand english in the first place? or they think the CC are just doing their job and dont really care?

What a bunch of losers! go and shove it up their @$$.

apaddyinuk
21st Oct 2006, 13:00
If i see someone stand up whilst taxying in my PA is a firm "Please remain seated until the aircraft has arrived on stand AND the seatbelt sign is switch off....if not for your own safery please consider the safety of your fellow passengers in your immediate fascinity whom you may impact upon and injure should the aircraft make any suddent movements"!!!
It usually embarrasses them enough when all the other passengers start to give them evils and always gives me a good chuckle!!!

lexxity
21st Oct 2006, 13:38
I must admit to standing up when the seatbelt signs were still on. We had flown back into EGCC on my own airline onto the same stand we usually use for the LHR. We parked up, engines winding down, bridge on, door open, seatbelt signs still on. Everyone else, bless them were still sat down. Suddenly the crew twigged what had happened and did a PA saying it was ok to get up now! I have never seen such a well behaved flight.:D :D

Blues&twos
21st Oct 2006, 18:39
I suspect that passengers stand up before they are supposed to because:

a) They know that the nanosecond the seatbelt sign goes of everyone will stand up at the same time, desperate to grab their stuff, they're just trying to beat the crowd.
b) They don't appreciate that the a/c may move unpredictably once it's on terra firma or what speed they are still travelling at.
c) They don't believe anything nasty can happen to them when they're not in the air. Let's face it, once they're off the plane they're often packed into a bus on which they're expected to stand up while the Michael Schumacher wannabe at the wheel attempts to break the land speed record, and the plane feels like a much safer environment than that.

Frustrating though, I'll bet.

B&t

DUB-GREG
22nd Oct 2006, 07:16
Yea but what bothers me most is... Even when the seat belt sign is switched off, everyone stands up regarless of whether they can get about or not!

Its just funny and annoying to see everyone stand... when they aint getting off any faster!

Funny thing is, i just sit there and laugh at how stupid people are when it comes to stand, i remain in my seat just relaxing, as its a good 10 min before people start to move and get off.

Oh the joys... im back on a flight this friday, should be interesting.....

Ex EK Trolley
22nd Oct 2006, 07:58
Fly Emirates...It happens on all flights and all routes, just part of the course i'm afraid.

ssmann
22nd Oct 2006, 08:50
Try singling out the pax by describing their outfits and asking them to sit down on the PA and you will find that due to sheer embarassment :\ they will and so will the others fearing a similar outcome.If there are too many of them then just pick two or three at random.Also understand that not all speak the same language so improvise.

air doris
22nd Oct 2006, 09:15
Trust me this is an on going problem and has been for years and I can't see it getting any better. I had pax today get up just as we touched down and open the lockers, not even off the runway. I can shout as much as I can but for MY own safety I wont get out of my seat. I'm sure we have all heard the click of the seatbelt release when we have touched down, pax just don't realise that most incidents actually happen ON the ground. It's the same with inflight turbulence, as soon as the sign goes on they all seem to want to get out of their seats to use the loo or something, is this another form of rebelling against the rules? I hate being told what to do, as most people do and maybe this is related to that (aswell as inexperience of flying). I have noticed that it is pretty much only certain cultures that do this, I'm not sure if I am allowed to say which ones, but it's probably due to lack of knowledge and inexperience, however saying that I have had a lot of regular business flyers do the same thing. One thing I have noticed though is the Japanese find it SO difficult to part with their bag, even if it just moves a few inches further under the seat in front and they don't like things being put in the overhead locker, but they have so much duty free and shopping there is no where else for it.
My concern is when pax get up before the sign is turned off, I am not worried about them, they have been warned through many ways, seatbelt sign and PA's and legally we should be fine (from my understanding), I am more concerned about the people around them, who THEY could injure as a result. In what legal poisition does that leave the company if another pax was injured through another pax stupidity. Who is then liable? What more can we do? I have flown a long time and know that my liabilty list grows, (service of alcohol etc) but to be honest if something was to happen like a pax getting out of a seat, opening a locker and baggage falling out, hitting another pax, they are going to sue the AIRLINE for injury 100%. What more can we do?

sebby
22nd Oct 2006, 11:10
A little nasty but one day i took great pleasure in watching a women fall over and hit her head quite badly while the aircraft was still taxiing. When I went up to crosscheck the front doors she started abusing me saying that she will be getting compensation for what hapened, i said that the injury she had received was of her own accord, not following the captains orders ie the seatbelt sign was still on. We took her details of course to cover our own arses and never heard anything of it again. A small victory for us crew... :D

ozskipper
22nd Oct 2006, 11:51
Try singling out the pax by describing their outfits and asking them to sit down on the PA and you will find that due to sheer embarassment :\ they will and so will the others fearing a similar outcome.If there are too many of them then just pick two or three at random.Also understand that not all speak the same language so improvise.

If I did that, I'd be out of a job.

apaddyinuk
22nd Oct 2006, 12:11
SAME GOES FOR CREW HOWEVER,

I recently did a flight on a 767 sitting on the jump seat at doors 3. The crew member on the other side of the aisle from me decided to undo his harness and lapstrap as soon as we were off the runway and swung 90degree in his seat so his legs where in the aisles and he was looking directly across to my side. A few moments later the aircraft made a very sudden turn and break (which we later found out was to avoid a tanker which had pulled out infront of us on the taxiway).
I looked back over at my colleague to see him rolling on the floor holding his nose with blood smeared all over the bulkhead that was in the center of the cabin. He gave himself a nice little broken nose. As I was trying to help him I could hear one passenger getting off the plane comment "Thats what happens when you dont practice what you preach"!
How right that punter was!

SkySista
22nd Oct 2006, 13:11
I recall a thread awhile ago discussing the Japanese and how they tend to dislike being separated from their bags.. it was quite an interesting read to see the differing practices of airlines...

funny though, I notice this too on flights with Japanese pax.. of course others do it too, but they seem as a group to do it the most... in all other ways though I find them to be very obedient and willing to follow instruction.. says a lot about their culture really! Love them, always v v polite and ask so nicely for things! (Though sometimes you have to guess what they want as they are too shy to ask!! :})

Kelly Hopper
22nd Oct 2006, 13:27
Had a situation about a year ago into stockholm with sas where the women next to me demanded i get out of my seat to allow her into the isle when there was clearly no chance of moving for the next 5 mins or so.
I asked her why she could not wait till the queue started to move then I would get up. She relied " I am not going to wait for you":{ and proceeded to climb over me just to stand in the isle next to me for 5 or 10 mins!!!
The Swedes are oh so nice but i finally found a bad one!

birdspeed
22nd Oct 2006, 16:55
We were experiencing just this situation years ago after touchdown on an old 73, when the a/c slowed very gently, not in an emergency-stop sort of way, but just enough for the die-hard few who were refusing to sit down to be pushed back into their seats.
It wasn't until we were on the crew bus that the skipper, a real 'old timer' & quite a character, asked us how his post-touchdown driving had been received in the cabin. He then admitted that he'd heard our exasperated pa's & that he'd decided to do something about it with some help from the brake pedal. He probably contravened dozens of FCO's, but it wasn't half effective.

ATHER
22nd Oct 2006, 16:59
See Replying with quotes (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249532) thread

silverelise
22nd Oct 2006, 18:40
Yea but what bothers me most is... Even when the seat belt sign is switched off, everyone stands up regarless of whether they can get about or not!
I think this is just de-facto passenger behaviour regardless of the transport. Look at any pact commuter train in to London and people in the seats trying to stand and shuffle out when the AISLES and gangways are still packed with the ones who stood all journey. They can't move but still stand...

yellowdog
23rd Oct 2006, 21:30
Please can we spell 'aisle' correctly.

If passengers were standing in 'isles' then they wouldn't be on an aircraft.

YD

tart1
24th Oct 2006, 08:29
Well done yellowdog! I've been busting to say that too!!!!!! :D

ZFT
24th Oct 2006, 08:56
Whilst I totally agree that it is idiotic and potentially dangerous to both yourself and fellow passengers, some cabin crew are the worst offenders.

If they were doing official duty matters, maybe it’s necessary but how often do you see cc removing their baggage from lockers during the taxi in.

Very often. Not exactly setting a good example is it!

TightSlot
24th Oct 2006, 09:25
Not on my flights, they don't... :E

air doris
26th Oct 2006, 04:01
Nor my flights, even if it is a life and death situation such as a pax having a heart attack and requires CPR, if the crew are required to be seated we are not obligated to get up for our own safety unless we have assessed the situation and consider it safe enough. Of course human nature would prevail and only speaking for myself I would take the risk to assist.

geordi
19th Nov 2006, 15:35
See Replying with quotes (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249532) thread

Juud
20th Nov 2006, 07:13
It doesn't happen a lot with us, some routes being more prone than others. ;) I use the same technique as ssmann, it's very effective.
"To the gentleman in the yellow shirt, you are a danger to other people by standing in the aisle. Sit down immediately. Thank you"
Works like a charm.
Once on December 23rd, still on the runway at a good speed. Punters up as if they'd been stung by a flock of killer bees. "Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Paris. Those of you who would like to spend Christmas in hospital with a broken neck, please remain standing in the aisle. Everybody else, please sit down and stay there until the Captain switches off the FSB sign. Merry Christmas & Joyeux Noël to you all."
Suddenly EVERYBODY understood English and sat down. People started laughing and yelling merry Xmas to me and eachother and not a single punter got out of his seat until we had well and truly arrived. :)

Airgus, I've also bought myself a whistle like that, but have never dared/needed to use it yet.:ooh:

Crowe
20th Nov 2006, 07:51
As pax I hate people doing this.

Bit extreme I know and marketing would hate it but how about warning them that disobeying the captain's/cc's instructions is illegal and suggesting that you could keep the doors closed until you can rustle up some coppers?

Would love to see a few of them arrested! :E

tezzer
20th Nov 2006, 08:20
Again, with no disrespect to the Nation as a whole, try Chinese domestic services, for this phenomenon.

The second the aircraft hit's the deck, and as the thrust reverser's are coming out there is an almost uniform click, as the seat betls are undone, and all of the SLF run for the doors. No amount of PA work would have any effect.
The first time I saw it, I was absolutely amazed, nay gobsmacked. Subsequent flights all seemed to be the same, so it wasn't a one off, but man, did it go against my English sense of discipline.

tart1
20th Nov 2006, 17:23
Yellowdog and Tart1... pardon my spelling but english is not my mother language... :mad:
Awww I feel mean now!!!!! :ooh:

Actually your spelling seems pretty good to me Airgus! :ok: :ok:

tiggerific_69
20th Nov 2006, 17:28
i remind them that failing to follow the crew's instructions is illegal and if they dont sit down,the aircraft will be met by police,harsh,but it works :ok: :E

pinkus
21st Nov 2006, 16:51
What <I find strange as well is how once off the plane they then stroll throught the airport as though they have all the time in the world.

robo283
21st Nov 2006, 17:27
"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Manchester. You will shortly be disembarking. Unfortunately the aircraft cleaners are on strike and we urgently need volunteers to remain behind and assist us with the task of removing the rubbish and cleaning the cabin and toilets. This should take no more than thirty minutes. Would anyone wishing to volunteer please indicate this to the cabin staff by standing up?"

Used to work a treat with Orion Airways ;)

TeaAnyone21
22nd Nov 2006, 23:19
I am c/c and god does this annoy me!!!

I will do extra PA's as we pull on to stand and sometimes this does not work. In fact on several occasions if someone has stood up I will do the following ....

"once again ladies and gentlemen PLEASE remain seated until the fasten seatbelt sign is switched off, and yes this does include the passenger wearing the black jumper!"

Not entirely professional i know but it makes people laugh and a certain passenger look very embarassed.

The best one I have experienced recently though is when we get the PA from flight deck...

"cabin crew doors to manual"

Its amazing how many pax believe they are suddenly crew and can stand up with us.

beana
23rd Nov 2006, 13:38
Im pax, and every time i fly i am so annoyed when people do this, they can't get anywhere faster! I hear the classic noise of all the seatbelts clicking open and see the cc's faces!
Then they all rush to the baggage belt, some even let their kids stand there too, instead of leaving them with another adult - OUT OF THE WAY.. :ugh:

Pitts2112
23rd Nov 2006, 21:28
I was on a flight on Virgin, IIRC, when the senior cabin crew (CSD or is that a BA-ism?) came on the PA just after touchdown, still taxying, and announced they were taking volunteers to help clean out the lavs after the flight. All you had to do to volunteer, she said, was stand up before the aircraft had come to a complete stop and the captain had turned out the seatbelt sign. Got a hearty laugh throughout the aircraft and made her point. Not a single pax stood up before said seatbelt sign was turned off.

Great way to see the problem coming and prevent it before it even happened, all with a nice touch of humour. Well done to her!

Flew Egypt Air earlier this year. Boatloads of pax up as soon as the wheels were on the ground, including crew, not a word was said to anyone, which rather meant it was acceptable. Cultural difference, maybe?

Pitts2112

TeaAnyone21
24th Nov 2006, 16:51
Just remembered an even more stupid pax!

There we were holding for departure at 0700 for a 50minute flight and I hear the PA "cabin crew seats for departure"

So I am minding my own business and can feel the aircraft rolling forward and starting to turn onto the runway when click!

I hear a seatbelt being undone. I look around the bulkhead and a businessman is standing up getting something out of his bag in the locker.!!!

Needless to say I was not pleased nor was I tactful when I shouted "sir, get your backside on that seat right now!"

He did and I was not about to get up and put myself at risk until after take off.

So the cabin crew are released after takeoff and he waves we over. The guy says to me...
" excuse me but I dont appreciate being shouted at like that on an aircraft"

So I replied

"Sir I am sorry but do you realise how stupid you have just been. You have not only just put yourself at risk but also about a dozen other passengers around you if not the whole aircraft. So forgive me but if someone is going to show the common sense of a child I will speak to them like one."

Needless to say he went very quiet and a recieved a fair few congratulations from other pax nearby.