PDA

View Full Version : A/Tech - British Army

torkhild
19th Oct 2006, 22:04
I'm joining the British Army as an Aircraft Technician next year.
I'd like to know if it's easy to get a job in the civilian market afterwards.
Would I have to study additional courses or will the experience from the army land me a good job? What kind of a salary would I be looking at?
Are ex-military tech's in demand?

Thank you.

NutLoose
20th Oct 2006, 01:26
You need to post in the engineers forum, but yes there is a shortage of engineers in the UK, depends what trade you go in as and what you work on, WHILE IN THE ARMY WORK FOR AND GET YOUR CIVILIAN LICENCES.. Ex military are welcome and scarce these days since we have not got a Real Airforce anymore. so the amount leaving his a dribble of what they used to be, Civilian company apprentiships are all but a thing of the past so a shortage is real and not likely to get better.

For Helicopters as a licenced Aircraft engineer expect to see well over £35,000
Large fixed wing about the same or more dependant on approvals held.
Avionics engineers I have known some in the £70,000 plus region.

you would be welcomed as an unlicenced engineer but the pay would be a lot less too.............. you should be able to selfstudy when you are in the Army and you may find the education department will help you there, your service career may well exempt you parts of the exams, mine did.

have a browse here

http://www.aviationjobsearch.com/employer.asp?employerid=1218 and do a select a job category to see the different rates

matkat
20th Oct 2006, 05:07
You need to post in the engineers forum, but yes there is a shortage of engineers in the UK, depends what trade you go in as and what you work on, WHILE IN THE ARMY WORK FOR AND GET YOUR CIVILIAN LICENCES.. Ex military are welcome and scarce these days since we have not got a Real Airforce anymore. so the amount leaving his a dribble of what they used to be, Civilian company apprentiships are all but a thing of the past so a shortage is real and not likely to get better.

For Helicopters as a licenced Aircraft engineer expect to see well over £35,000
Large fixed wing about the same or more dependant on approvals held.
Avionics engineers I have known some in the £70,000 plus region.

you would be welcomed as an unlicenced engineer but the pay would be a lot less too.............. you should be able to selfstudy when you are in the Army and you may find the education department will help you there, your service career may well exempt you parts of the exams, mine did.

have a browse here

http://www.aviationjobsearch.com/employer.asp?employerid=1218 and do a select a job category to see the different rates
By and large good advice, but please be aware since the introduction of the Part 66 licence there are absolutely no exemptions from exams due to military experience, the only advantage your military service gives you is you will only need 1 years experience after passing all the required exams to be granted your licence.

Dark Helmet
20th Oct 2006, 07:39
Keep an engineering logbook of all the tasks you carry out and, has been stated earlier, start to study for your JAR 66 licence as soon as you can. It is a great job; enjoy it and good luck.

Have a browse around this site. It is an extremely useful source of information and help.

http://www.airmech.co.uk/forums/index.php

MightyGem
22nd Oct 2006, 15:53
Not planning to stay long then!? :hmm:

Wizzard
22nd Oct 2006, 16:23
I'm sure the advice given above will stand you in good stead should you follow through with your goal but here's my pennyworth:

In my - many years - of experience, people who join the services with one eye to the civilian world from the start end up as the most miserable soldiers/sailors/airmen as it is possible to be. When you join the army you will be a SOLDIER first, your trade will be very important but bear in mind that you could find yourself with weapon in hand in some hot and sandy land fighting for your comrade's and your life! Even rear areas can get attacked.
If you want to be a soldier and in the meanwhile get probably the best training available at the same time then go ahead and I wish you the best of luck. But PLEASE think very carefully about your motivation, once you're in, you're in.

One more tip: don't post this question on the ARRSE website - it wont be pretty.

MightyGem
23rd Oct 2006, 09:58
One more tip: don't post this question on the ARRSE website - it wont be pretty
Could be entertaining though. :}

Wader2
23rd Oct 2006, 10:28
Even rear areas can get attacked.

And of course helicopters never go u/s in forward areas, or beyond, do they?

Wizzard
23rd Oct 2006, 16:49
And of course helicopters never go u/s in forward areas, or beyond, do they?
Yes, very well put
:rolleyes:
Wiz