PDA

View Full Version : Banner Towing, what do you need?

Baboon Boy
19th Oct 2006, 17:41
Hi all, am considering the idea of setting up a banner towing firm and am just wondering if anyone can help me with the following-

1. What will I need to do to my plane (am looking at getting hold of a C150, 152 etc) in order to make it tow banners. Ie what mods are required and where can I get em done?
2.Like wise, wot kind of ground apparatus is required, regardning the rig from which the plane picks up the banner?
3. Is a special rating required on my licence, and where can I get trained in the art of banner towing?
4. Will my business need some kind of certificate from the CAA ( AOC) in order to operate.?

Ta

AlexEvans
20th Oct 2006, 05:15
If you're a PPL then you'll need to upgrade that to a CPL because unless I am very much mistaken, you can't fly for hire or reward on a PPL.

172driver
20th Oct 2006, 06:59
Baboon, while you'll get a lot of great info here on PPrune, I suggest you give the CAA a call re the various legal aspects, of which I'm sure there are quite a few :}

On a different note, I'm not sure how far you'll get with a 150/152. Depends of course on the banner size, but AFAIK a 172/182 is more appropriate. While never banner towed myself, I've flown a/c that were used for this and IIRC the only mods were a tailhook, a release handle in the cockpit and little mirrors mounted on the struts (of a 172 in this case). HTH.

Maxflyer
20th Oct 2006, 08:09
Banner Towing, what do you need?
...a banner?
:)

shortstripper
20th Oct 2006, 08:28
Banner towing .... What a drag! :E

SS

kentflyer
20th Oct 2006, 20:26
Baboon

I have been gaining some experience of banner towing over the summer months since finishing my CPL/IR.

I agree with 172driver that a C150/152 won't really be powerful enough for towing a banner of any reasonable size.

As Alex said you are going to need a CPL.

The aircraft I fly in is fitted with an attachment for the hook on the tail and a release handle in the cockpit for dropping the banner. The only other attachment is to deploy the grappling hook on it's cable once you have taken off so you can pick up the banner.

The operation I fly with uses a C172 for the towing and does offer tow pilot training as far as I am aware.

Kentflyer

JUST-local
21st Oct 2006, 00:41
Requirments!

Lobotomy!!! :ouch:

Chimbu chuckles
21st Oct 2006, 06:02
...a banner?

Then that wouldn't be banner towing that would just be banner laying motionless on the ground:}

Baboon Boy
21st Oct 2006, 19:25
On a more serions note, how complicated is the apparatus for picking up/ towing/ dropping the banner?
Could I build it myself with a few coat hangers and bits of string or is it a more expensive undertaking?

Confabulous
21st Oct 2006, 23:45
Read an article about it in Pilot or one of the others. Tough job, flying just above the stall, engine screaming, 200fpm climb rate (if that). Promises to really improve your low speed handling skills, sounds like fun though. You'd need special equipment (a tow hook) and a fair bit of training. Loads on the banner are tremendous, coathangers wouldn't cut it! ;)

IO540
22nd Oct 2006, 16:33
Interesting that (presumably) you can do banner towing, and get paid for it, without an AOC, but you do (I happen to know) need an AOC for traffic spotting for a radio station.

girolat_b
24th Oct 2006, 15:41
I did that job, good luck . It's a bit dangerous. I don't know if it could be interesting for you but I give this url:

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/media/faa-fs.pdf

It's for the USA but may be you can find something useful.

Good luck man ! :ok:

visibility3miles
26th Oct 2006, 18:42
Talk to someone who does it. A 152 would have trouble.

I've watched pilots diving for banners, and it's pretty intimidating. They dive very close to the ground to hook the banner, then climb as fast as they can before the banner gets airborne and the drag slows them down like glue.

Often Stearman's are used for banner towing. (Much bigger engine than a 152.)

Plus, you are usually flying with the banner at a fairly low altitude in populated areas, and if the weather gets bad life could get very interesting.

You can drop the banner but I assume the people on the ground won't appreciate something big fluttering down and landing on their house, or on their car on the highway, so talk to your insurance agent too.

tescoapp
27th Oct 2006, 11:56
I seem to remember that the islander guy in CUM had a whole banner towing kit up for sale.

Dave Gittins
27th Oct 2006, 12:38
Can confirm that plenty horses are needed for banner towing. Have flown the banner towing C-172 out of Tenerife South and it has a 200 hp Continental and wobbly prop. The other 172 they have with a 160 Lycoming won't cut it.

Can also confirm other advice about close to the stall, high power, high angle of attack, watch the rate of bank etc.

Barshifter
27th Oct 2006, 14:22
Noticed this small clip about Towing Banners on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9pdWFlvQec&search=flexwing%20microlight%20flying%20ultralight

Regards

Barshifter

Baboon Boy
27th Oct 2006, 14:50
Looks class, wot kind of plane is it in the video, seen plenty of em about?

Could get a bit hairy if the banner somehow got stuck to the ground.Plane would be fooked!

Dave Gittins
27th Oct 2006, 15:03
Looks like a Pawnee .. 235 HP Lycoming. That's what I said about plenty-a-horses needed.

:ok:

Mark 1
27th Oct 2006, 15:18
I used to watch someone do it with a Gipsy engined Auster - really struggled, especially on a hot day. He eventually got a Beagle Husky (callsign G-OD!), which did fine.
As has been said; it's ariel work so a CPL is needed, but not PT so no AOC required.

Aircraft mod approval is much similar to glider towing procedure I should imagine.