PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to exchange Socks recently?

Northern Circuit
19th Oct 2006, 11:09
I kid you not - black cotton with RAF Roundels on them

How much of the defence budget did they cost?

Who got promoted for designing them?

What ever next?

NS

mayorofgander
19th Oct 2006, 11:10
Gotta get me some of those...
Very Ben Sherman...

Almost Fashionable!!!:ok:

MOG

Gainesy
19th Oct 2006, 11:42
Yer avin a giraffe Shirley?:uhoh: :yuk:

Avtur
19th Oct 2006, 11:47
Swinderby, 1984, was the last and only time that I took deleivery of such stock; What line of Stanley Mathews socks 'n'shreds are they issuing you that you can't afford to buy from other "usual" outlets that most people procure from???

Pontius Navigator
19th Oct 2006, 11:55
Still use a 1962 pair. The 57 pattern pulle dto bits but the 62 pair were built to last.

Provided you did not wash them too often.:}

GlosMikeP
19th Oct 2006, 13:00
Still use a 1962 pair. The 57 pattern pulle dto bits but the 62 pair were built to last.
Provided you did not wash them too often.:}

Did they bannish you to the ranges or did your socks take you under their own power?:p

Jackonicko
19th Oct 2006, 13:21
Those '62 socks were a marvel.

Designed as a result of lessons learned in the Crimean war, the 1862 stocking was marvellous, and Pontius had a prototype pair.......

Pontius Navigator
19th Oct 2006, 13:26
Those '62 socks were a marvel.
Designed as a result of lessons learned in the Crimean war, the 1862 stocking was marvellous, and Pontius had a prototype pair.......

Has Sir, Has a pair or two.

mutleyfour
19th Oct 2006, 13:38
I kid you not - black cotton with RAF Roundels on them
How much of the defence budget did they cost?
Who got promoted for designing them?
What ever next?
NS

Its a long time until April 1st NC

GlosMikeP
19th Oct 2006, 13:49
Has Sir, Has a pair or two.

Now, now Pontius don't go poking fun at others on this most serious of topics.

Incidentally did you have any inclinations to transferring to pongo at any time:}

airborne_artist
19th Oct 2006, 14:07
Still got my 1953 issue Long Johns, well cared for by the stackers until 1979, when I drew them. By 'eck do they keep t'chill out when it's parky. :ok:

Matt Skrossa
19th Oct 2006, 14:10
Yes I tried, but the PMO told me to spend another 6 months living as 'Linda' before he could recommend me for the special IRREVERSIBLE operation!

mutleyfour
19th Oct 2006, 14:24
Yes I tried, but the PMO told me to spend another 6 months living as 'Linda' before he could recommend me for the special IRREVERSIBLE operation!

What did you try Matt?

Matt Skrossa
19th Oct 2006, 14:29
A socks change of course!

Pontius Navigator
19th Oct 2006, 14:53
Incidentally did you have any inclinations to transferring to pongo at any time:}

Got my part 1 and part 2 and can remember the composition of a platoon, 30 rounds per man, 2 Bren mags per man, etc etc. Then I saw sense:

Warm bed every 24 hours, fried egg for breakfast, morning papers in the, batman . . .

WhiteOvies
19th Oct 2006, 14:57
PN

morning papers in the batman ??????

Which regiment was that!! :p

BEagle
19th Oct 2006, 15:12
Ah, but PN, can you recall the 'duties of a sentry' still?

Were you, too, forced into khaki horsehair with blanco'd belt and gaiters at school because there was no RAF section?

The Set Wireless No 38 Mk 3, Telephone F Mk 2, Set Wireless 88 etc. were my forte - bugger all that marching about stuff lugging the Lee Enfield No 4 around the parade ground!

I too have a pair of those black socks as issued in 1968. Heaven knows what they were made from though - still no holes after 38 years of use! Not that I wore them much in the last 15 or so years as they are horribly uncomfortable

airborne_artist
19th Oct 2006, 15:16
BEagle - you should have worked harder at (primary) school, then you could have got into a school with a light blue offering. A good 80% of my RAF (CCF) joined to avoid the horrors of the Hairy Mary :ok:

The 88 set had the rather risqee Tx switch that Matron would have enjoyed....

Pontius Navigator
19th Oct 2006, 15:21
Ah, but PN, can you recall the 'duties of a sentry' still?
Were you, too, forced into horsehair and blanco'd belt and gaiters at school because there was no RAF section?
The Set Wireless No 38 Mk 3, Telephone F Mk 2, Set Wireless 88 etc. were my forte - bugger all that marching with Lee Enfield No 4 stuff!

No, we were an offensive lot. Leopard crawl, cake walk, life preserver etc.

We had more .303 ammo in the attic than a typical RAF Station - one day we counted up the ammo boxes. We had about 250 000 rounds of .303 ball. In the armoury we had at least a dozen Bren. For some reason we did not have any Sten guns.

We had an RAF section (bloody glider scared me sh1tless) but we had to do a year's square bashing first. Mutuals one on one with several others all screaming commands in pseudo trebles. And 5 years later doing exactly the same thing in a hangar at South Cerney:suspect:

BEagle
19th Oct 2006, 15:31
What is a 'primary school'? Is that like a prep school for oiks?

The 88 set 'pressel switch' certainly had a rather dubious look about it, I agree:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/ws88.jpg

Total thread drift - why did the 88 set supplied to many school CCFs have an interference pin fitted to stop selections of Channels A & B?

Once went into the local town with a chum to collect the Sten gun blank-firing barrel which had been repaired at a local gunsmith. We had to take the gun along as well to check the fit. The look on the faces of people when my chum fished a Sten gun out of his briefcase was priceless!

Pilot Pacifier
19th Oct 2006, 17:49
Socks? Can't even get an aircrew roll-neck at the secret Hampshire airbase!

Been waiting since May for a goon suit, the flying suit I ordered two months ago turned up 3 sizes to small. And desert flying suits? What are they? Good to see the stewards wearing them on the AT fleet though :mad:

mutleyfour
19th Oct 2006, 19:22
And desert flying suits? What are they? Good to see the stewards wearing them on the AT fleet though :mad:

Agreed, but doesnt that just show that the Brize Stores are more efficient at demanding said items? Plus it makes the stewards feel like they are actually doing their bit!

mutleyfour
19th Oct 2006, 19:24
Back to the socks, can we see a photo please?

John Prescott
19th Oct 2006, 19:27
RAF roundels???

Pusser's thick black or pusser's thin black anyday...

Never need reminding of which service you are in when taking them off in the fleet ya knows:}

N Arslow
19th Oct 2006, 21:17
Despite being ex-RN I will get it in first (phnar)...

<<<Never need reminding of which service you are in when taking them off in the fleet ya knows>>>

...presuming you bend over to do so...?

vecvechookattack
19th Oct 2006, 22:34
Socks? Can't even get an aircrew roll-neck at the secret Hampshire airbase!

Been waiting since May for a goon suit, the flying suit I ordered two months ago turned up 3 sizes to small. And desert flying suits? What are they? Good to see the stewards wearing them on the AT fleet though :mad:

Try Flying Clothing stores at an Airbase in Somerset.....The place is bursting with Flying Clothing... apart from Navbags where the guys are buying their own from T'internet.....

......this being the fave http://shop.pilotwarehouse.co.uk/product294023catno7023.html

clicker
19th Oct 2006, 22:54
The look on the faces of people when my chum fished a Sten gun out of his briefcase was priceless!

I was a member of staff at an ATC unit whos building was on the side of a church in Bermonsey and someone tried to break into the place back in the 70's. As a precaution it was decided to remove the DP .303's to the local police station. The look on the locals faces was a gem when myself and three PC's were seen loaded a transit with the rifles.

movadinkampa747
19th Oct 2006, 22:56
I was a member of staff at an ATC unit whos building was on the side of a church in Bermonsey and someone tried to break into the place back in the 70's. As a precaution it was decided to remove the DP .303's to the local police station. The look on the locals faces was a gem when myself and three PC's were seen loaded a transit with the rifles.

Thats great but what about the new socks?

ShyTorque
19th Oct 2006, 23:19
Embroidered socks?

Whatever next? Musical ones, like they sell before Christmas, but playing the RAF marchpast?

Bloody p**fters.

This is probably that war bonus they were talking about last week. :E

rodthesod
20th Oct 2006, 08:50
Still use a 1962 pair. The 57 pattern pulle dto bits but the 62 pair were built to last. Provided you did not wash them too often.:}
You obviously went to a different Nav School to my old Canberra navigator. I believe his socks were issued in 'pairs' of three - to fit in with his 3 sock cycle of L foot - R foot - Wash - repeat etc.:)

Hueymeister
20th Oct 2006, 09:00
I tried to replace my flying boot socks recently and was told that there would be a 4 week+ wait!!!!!! Change of contract (again). What a feat of ARRRRRsse:( :uhoh:

GlosMikeP
20th Oct 2006, 09:38
No, no Huey, you simply don't understand. Do get a grip old chap! That's what is called Just In Time ILS.

Not sure whose time though;)