PDA

View Full Version : Unions across Europe target Ryanair

ORAC
19th Oct 2006, 05:51
Torygraph: (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/19/nryan19.xml) Unions across Europe target Ryanair in strike campaign

Transport unions across Europe are planning a co-ordinated strike against Ryanair over working conditions.

The news emerged as British holidaymakers heading to Spain yesterday were forced to abandon their suitcases at Stansted after Spanish baggage handlers went on strike at 13 airports.

Ingo Marowsky, secretary of the International Transport Workers' Federation, confirmed yesterday that members from Europe's leading transport unions met on Monday to discuss the possibility of a unified strike. Airport and airline workers in Spain and Italy have already begun strikes this week. Mr Marowsky said that he was talking with transport unions in Britain and Ireland about further walk-outs. Staff in Scandinavia and Germany are also prepared to take some form of action, he added.

Yesterday more than 120 baggage handlers and check-in staff conducted a strike across 13 airports in Spain. Seville, Girona, Granada and Jerez airports were the worst affected, with flight delays of up to two hours. Ryanair was unable to accept any hold-baggage on flights to and from these airports - affecting a total of 40 services. These included several flights departing from Stansted, Bournemouth, Liverpool, Dublin and Luton.

Passengers were limited to just one piece of hand luggage up to a maximum weight of 10kgs and with dimensions no greater than 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. Enrique Carmona of Comisiones Obreras, the union organising the strikes in Spain, said travellers returning home to the UK were being forced to abandon their suitcases in the terminals and carry what they could on board.

172driver
19th Oct 2006, 08:16
Enrique Carmona of Comisiones Obreras, the union organising the strikes in Spain, said travellers returning home to the UK were being forced to abandon their suitcases in the terminals and carry what they could on board.

And this is what makes these :mad: union a**:mad: happy ? There should be a register of these people's names - and they should be denied boarding by ANY airline if they ever try to travel. I'm no lover of RYR, but taking it out on travellers (worse - on those going home who don't have a choice anymore to stay put) is beyond the pale. :yuk:

XSBaggage
20th Oct 2006, 01:03
I agree with 172driver about targetting normal travellers, but the thing I can't understand is are they targetting Ryanair? I thought they only had their own baggage handlers at Dublin. Surely working conditions disputes are a matter for the handling agent and their employees?

XSB

lorddee
20th Oct 2006, 01:52
lot of them .Total idiots affecting a great airline .I used to fly for Sabena until the day the packed up .Remember the images cabin crew in tears pilots in tears, tugs pushbackless no aircraft ......People who have jobs in Airline industry should consider themselves lucky because w/o FR/EZY/LS/WW etc there would be a lot of un-unemployed airport workers .Example at BA ALL YOU HERE is cutbacks while Ryanair expands.
Belive me the belgiums were the best for going on strike any little thing they would walk out ...

FUEL STRIKE /BAGGAGE STRIKE / PLANTING FLOWER IN THE RUNWAY / WEATHER DELAYS NO BAD WEATHER REPORTED CAVOK...sorry to rant but i have been made redundant 3 times

So if you are not happy with your terms and conditions then why did you take the job in the first place .Why not just go and get a job in TESCO/SUPPER NETTO etc....

lorddee
20th Oct 2006, 01:55
maybe RYANAIR will go self handling at it,s major bases on there T& c,s now this would make the spanish french irish etc etc etc etc I would love to take this job on my application will be sent Mr mol ..maybe mr mol will read my post and contact me himself ..Thumbs up to ryanair

bealine
20th Oct 2006, 07:37
maybe RYANAIR will go self handling at it,s major bases on there T& c,s now this would make the spanish french irish etc etc etc etc I would love to take this job on my application will be sent Mr mol ..maybe mr mol will read my post and contact me himself ..Thumbs up to ryanair

Here we go - Union bashing again!

No one can criticie either the Union or Ryanair without knowing the facts in this case. At the present moment, the only two parties who know the truth are Ryanair themselves (who have a proven record of lies, subterfuge and deceit) and the Trade Union responsible for calling for action.

The decision to allow workers to withdraw labour is democratic and marks the difference between our relatively free society and a disctatorship. Just as workers are not forced to work for Ryanair, their "customers" don't have to fly with them! (Indeed, anyone with a social concsience who knows how the staff and customers are treatedwould NOT fly Ryanair - the Ratners of the aviation industry!)

Perhaps lorddee would like to return to Dickensian times!

172driver
20th Oct 2006, 07:49
Here we go - Union bashing again!
The customers, or passengers, themselves are to blame for continuing to show support for an airline with atrocious working conditions. Many people accept the working conditions, especially in Spain where their social security system isn't very good, because they really have little other choice!
If passengers will continue to buy "cheap" and not look to the conscience when making purchasing decisions, they cannot really complain when things go awry!

Seems you know a lot about the world then :yuk:

Social security in Spain is excellent, actually better than in the UK (certainly if you're on baggage handler level).

IF the RYR conditions are so atrocious, then why, please, don't the people actually employed by this horrible airline go on strike ?? If they don't like their work, they can strike (which I would not support but could understand, as they are concerned) or vote with their feet, simple as that.

This is just another round of some Nazi unions trying to intimidate the public. May they rot in hell.

Hirsutesme
20th Oct 2006, 09:41
"This is just another round of some Nazi unions trying to intimidate the public. May they rot in hell."

Oh you silly silly man. The terms and conditions you enjoy were won by unions, not the generosity of your employer.

In nearly every circumstance, strike action is born out of desperation after many years of appalling treatment.Whilst capitalism exists, with all its attendant flaws, then workers will have to organise to get their crumbs from the profits.
To call people nazis and wish them to rot in hell just demonstrates your own ignorance, selfishness and........no stop there, just try thinking and finding out the facts before opening your mouth.

172driver
20th Oct 2006, 10:35
"This is just another round of some Nazi unions trying to intimidate the public. May they rot in hell."

Oh you silly silly man. The terms and conditions you enjoy were won by unions, not the generosity of your employer.

In nearly every circumstance, strike action is born out of desperation after many years of appalling treatment.Whilst capitalism exists, with all its attendant flaws, then workers will have to organise to get their crumbs from the profits.
To call people nazis and wish them to rot in hell just demonstrates your own ignorance, selfishness and........no stop there, just try thinking and finding out the facts before opening your mouth.

Hirsutesme, if you care to read my post properly, you may find that I would have sympathy or at least understanding for strike action BY THE PEOPLE CONCERNED, i.e. by RYR employees. My comment (and I stand by it) refers to the totally unwarranted action by people who are NOT RYR employees. :=