PDA

View Full Version : Airport taxes in cash

CalumM
18th Oct 2006, 10:30
In which airports or maybe countries in Europe would you have to pay your airport taxes in cash? One of my university lecturers has set us a challenge of finding out where his desktop background photo was taken. Its taken from a stretch of salt water with mountain terrain and apparently a small airport nearby where he payed his airport taxes in cash. Can anybody help me win the glory?

PAXboy
18th Oct 2006, 12:20
Nope! The last time I paid taxes in cash and by salt water was HKG!

*Zwitter*
18th Oct 2006, 12:30
Izmir charge you a tenner on entry - every time

Gouabafla
18th Oct 2006, 13:41
Post the picture, then we'll be able to tell you. So far it could be a few places in Africa.

flybywire
18th Oct 2006, 19:48
I really do not know. The only place I ever had to pay airport taxes in cash was Amman but that also changed recently.
Why don't you post the picture (maybe editing it if your lecturer doesn't like the idea of appearing on pprune)?

FBW

SXB
18th Oct 2006, 21:11
So you're sure it's in Europe ? There are not many airports in europe that charge tax on entry. The only one that springs to mind is Tirana International Airport in Albania which levies a €10 fee, you can see mountains from the airport but no salt water.

As someone else mentioned Turkey does charge certain passport holders a fee when entering but it isn't a tax it's a visa charge, additionally, apart from Istanbul, it isn't in Europe. Ataturk Airport does have salt water but not much in the way of mountains.... Yerevan Airport in Armenia charges an exit tax on departure but doesn't have much in the way of salt water or mountains, also questionable as to whether it's Europe or not.

smith
19th Oct 2006, 22:39
Malta?? Used to don't know if they still do.

skydriller
20th Oct 2006, 09:38
Are you sure its Europe? or are we including the Eastern block/Med/N.Africa area aswell?

In the past I seem to recall I have paid additional cash at airports in Cairo, Nirobi, Seychelles, Calgary and Edmonton.... This was either for stamps to get in/out of the country and/or additional airport taxes to those already on the ticket.

Any Help? Show us the photo.....

Regards, SD..

smith
20th Oct 2006, 10:49
Aruba, Bangkok, and Japan all places I have had to pay a departure tax.

TheOddOne
20th Oct 2006, 11:40
I got stung at Waterford last year for 5 euros. The only other place I've had to pay in cash was Vancouver.

I think this is a most hateful way of collecting the money - much better to do it in with the purchase of the flight (nearly said 'ticket', there, but we don't have those any more, do we!)

So, Waterford is close to the sea (but I wouldn't call it particularly mountainous, just a bit hilly).

Digressing slightly, a most excellent place, small & friendly, they even let us hold an aerobatic competition in the overhead every year. Do visit Dunmore East if you're ever Waterford-bound.

The OddOne

The 5Q
20th Oct 2006, 16:35
Could be Waterford when taken from a certan angle you get the comeragh mountains in the background

to do it in with the purchase of the flight (nearly said 'ticket', there, but we don't have those any more, do we!)

Waterford got stung big time with old Euroceltic who collected the 5 euro on their tickets, airline went taking about 30,000 euro with them.

Trust no one ....

Regards
5Q

renfrew
20th Oct 2006, 19:32
I vote for Turkey.As I understand it they demand a Bank of England £10 note to enter the country.

seacue
22nd Oct 2006, 03:25
For a number of years American Airlines rolled the Aruba exit fee into their ticket price. I think they still do. No additional fee needed. Considering the number of people at the window to pay the tax, some other airlines didn't follow American's lead.