PDA

View Full Version : Navy pilots flying Apache AH1

Razor61
17th Oct 2006, 21:56
Noticed while viewing a picture i took recently that the pilot of an Apache AH1 had a 'Royal Navy' patch on his arm.
How many Royal Navy pilots are actually assigned to the Apache squadrons?

MightyGem
17th Oct 2006, 22:28
Unless things have changed, there is generally one doing an exchange tour with the AAC, also one RAF pilot as well.

Razor61
17th Oct 2006, 22:46
Thanks MightyGem,
The said Apache was i think from 9 Regt Dishforth but operating 'down south' yesterday for a staff demo rehearsal.

forwardassist
18th Oct 2006, 07:57
There is more than one dark blue flying the Apache, although one may have PVR'd :confused:

mutleyfour
18th Oct 2006, 09:48
We don't have any RAF flying AH at the moment MG, majority fall below the quality line. We have accepted another Matelot to take the Crabs place.

:} :} :}

Razor61
18th Oct 2006, 09:53
Here is the one i was on about....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/razor61/Venture3-16.jpg

ChristopherRobin
18th Oct 2006, 16:20
Ah that'll be **** ******** who went from the AAC to the RN then was rewarded for his loyalty to the corps by getting the apache exchange.

Good luck to him too, but on pavlovian principles alone, it will hardly encourage unswerving loyalty from desk-jobbing air corps chaps.

MaroonMan4
18th Oct 2006, 23:31
OK, Mutely Four, apologies, I am down route at the moment and despite so glad to have left forces, I couldn't see why Binnsworth wouldnt follow up our requests for an RAF Apache exchange-I worked with them on Nitex in 2001 and thought we could bring something to the table.
As to Army Air Corps career profiles - sorry guys, lots of mates in Teenie Weenies, all of them say the same thing - that is very much an Air Corps problem and if they want to haemorrage Captains at an alarming rate and promote from the ranks to make up the deficit, then hey, that is their policy - if that was my option - 'mahogony bomber' or transfer to fly, then I too would transfer (as loads of AAC blokes have with the single aspiration to remain flying - who can blame them?).

Cobrahistorian
19th Oct 2006, 02:31
Ok, now that my perception of AAC Apaches has been completely turned on its ear, why does that pic have a CMWS sensor and no HIDAS bumps?

signed,

A confused American -64 driver.:confused:

Jon

mutleyfour
19th Oct 2006, 08:05
Ok, now that my perception of AAC Apaches has been completely turned on its ear, why does that pic have a CMWS sensor and no HIDAS bumps?
signed,
A confused American -64 driver.:confused:
Jon

Because only the fielded Squadrons have that fit!

Oh and Maroonman4: Few jars of ale before that post or did you get out of bed the wrong side?

MaroonMan4
19th Oct 2006, 09:14
MF,
Post ammended!

Cobrahistorian
19th Oct 2006, 09:17
Whoops, sorry for not being clearer. I realize that schoolhouse birds don't have ASE gear fitted (heck, the ones I fly every day don't have it either!). What I was commenting on was the sensor bump ahead of the CPG's cockpit, which simply shouldn't be there on a British bird! You guys have a completely different system and seeing provision for CMWS on a British helicopter just confused me, that's all.

Thanks!

Jon

ase engineer
19th Oct 2006, 19:41
No, that British bird has all the provisions it should have and nothing more, although they appear to have been photoshopped out now.

Harumph

Hueymeister
20th Oct 2006, 07:27
M4

I'm not sure that the crabs have had many apply for the exchange at all...last I heard one that did put so many conditions on it that it wouldn't work...as for quality of applicants, I think you's fishin' boy!!!

SamCaine
20th Oct 2006, 07:34
Hueymeister, offering to add AAC to your list of exchanges, old chap? :}

mutleyfour
20th Oct 2006, 08:20
M4
I'm not sure that the crabs have had many apply for the exchange at all...last I heard one that did put so many conditions on it that it wouldn't work...as for quality of applicants, I think you's fishin' boy!!!

You know me so well! I remember a couple of RAF chaps we had fly with us in NI in the late 80's. We called them "Carstairs" and "Fairfax" from allo allo! They presented the Sqn with a print of two spitfires flying over Belfast. Top form I thought!

Hueymeister
20th Oct 2006, 08:20
Nope..the maim-death-kill machine would be a challenge to fly, but Mrs HM would divorce me..and I quite like her...and I couldn't afford it.....and anywhere as long as it ends in "...an" doesn't tickle my wotnot.

So in an nutshell...no.

mutleyfour
20th Oct 2006, 08:42
If you don't do "an" HM would you do "aq" or how about "ea" or maybe "ia" who knows with this Government?

Hueymeister
20th Oct 2006, 08:55
Not that I'm a wet, war-dodging weeny, but having done a fair bit of time away etc, anywhere hot, sandy or unfriendly just isn't high on my list of 'preferred destinations' at the mo...but give it a couple more months of expensive, crap weather Blighty and kids, then maybe.....:E :sad:

MaroonMan4
20th Oct 2006, 13:26
Huey,

I think that you may be confusing your posts-Mutley's I think (and that was just trying to get a bite ;) )

My post was bemoaning why back in the 2000/2001 Innsworth would not entertain some of us from even thinking about an exchange on the Apache and certainly not fishing about quality control of potential Apache pilots - a subject I know absolutely nothing about!

I can assure you now that with more money in pocket and less time away from home (and the not being shot at bit helps as well - I am with you on that one Huey!) then I am over my bitter and twisted stage - it appears that the Pongos have seemed to have done a pretty fine job without a 'Fairfax' and 'Carstairs' on the Sqn.

However, old Christopher Robin appears a very bitter man and the gist of my post is that when I left in 2003 there were a number of AAC Captains that had either transferred, or were in the process of doing so to either the RN or RAF.

Speaking to my Teenie Weeny (always gets a rise!) mates it has got worst with AAC Captains/QHIs even going across to fly RN Blue Lynx, Harriers, Tristars, Hercs, Australian Blackhawks and even Hueys (and of course CH47s) - infact there is probably an ex Air Corps Captain in most fleets!

Christopher Robin has the option/could possibly transfer instead of feeling so hard done by. By all accounts it is widely known that the AAC doesn't want its young officers to fly but to quickly fill a desk job and even despite the Apache it doesn't look as though this policy is changing.

Anyway, I am off on my 5 days 'rest' before going to work again!

:)

vecvechookattack
21st Oct 2006, 09:59
Speaking to my Teenie Weeny (always gets a rise!) mates it has got worst with AAC Captains/QHIs even going across to fly RN Blue Lynx

Never hapened mate.......and there are no plans for it to happen. You may be refering to a young lady about to start training...she isn't on exchange...she is in the RN

ChristopherRobin
21st Oct 2006, 22:53
christ maroonman if you think that's bitter - you've never experienced true vitriol! It is, however, an accurate state of affairs - disloyalty being rewarded, rather than bitterness!.

You say I could always transfer, but the surely that would display the lack of loyalty that I pointed out I didn't appreciate in my original post.

That and the fact it pushes one's IPP to the right by 3 or 4 years! :yuk:

Hueymeister
22nd Oct 2006, 13:00
That young lady has transferred for her own good reasons; how the AAC could let such a well-motivated asset go with such ease is a wonder. Good luck to her when she hits the Blue Lynx fleet - the Army's loss - the WAFU's gain.