PDA

View Full Version : XP Boot query

BOAC
17th Oct 2006, 21:55
I have just replaced a non-system hard drive (which does not contain an OS). The system is multi-boot, with 98 ('cos I'm paranoid:O ), 2000 ('cos I'm sentimental:O ) and XP. Drive letters were initially somehow changed after all the disk swappings around during install/copy for the new drive, but I have corrected them, and the 'boot ini' (on the C drive, primary master) calls the correct drive/partition for Win XP.

The only way I can boot now without a 'No OS found' warning is by setting boot priority on the mobi (Winfast) to the correct drive (containing the C partition). Then it boots. I have to do this each time I cold restart.

Have I somehow upset the MBR or is it something to do with the changes I had to make on the drive letters, and do I therefore need to change the boot ini? Anyone know what has caused this hiccup please?

Mac the Knife
18th Oct 2006, 06:06
How many physical disks do you have?
What is the boot order in the BIOS?
How are they partitioned?
What is on each partition?
Which bootloader are you using (98, 2000 or XP)?
What does the boot.ini that you think you're using say?

BOAC
18th Oct 2006, 07:52
Mac - I'm ashamed :mad: to say that this morning it booted normally with no intervention, so I have to say thank you for responding so quickly. I had 'reset' the boot order in Bios yesterday with no success over several reboots, but this morning........................? :{

May I call you back if it re-appears?

frostbite
18th Oct 2006, 11:39
Might be worth checking/changing your backup battery.

BOAC
18th Oct 2006, 16:32
Well, it is a fairly new mobi? It has been fine today on 3 cold starts, so I am putting it down to it needing not only the BIOS boot disk specifying but also the mobi sequence. I assumed, I think, that doing one of them would be enough.