PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Helicopters unique CPL(H) course

Needlesplit
16th Oct 2006, 13:37
Hi folks,

Has anyone done/ is doing the Dragon Helicopters unique CPL(H) course and has any info/opinions on same. I like the idea of the Bristol G/S due to the use of Internet/graphics etc but wondered what the general consensus was.

I know this isn't the exams forum but as it is specifically a Rotorheads question I hope no one will mind.

Regards
N/S:ok:

Helinut
16th Oct 2006, 14:02
There was a discussion about Dragon Helicopters a few months ago. Suggest you use the search facility. As I recall, the thread "went on a bit"

Whirlygig
16th Oct 2006, 14:03
Well, I'm doing another "unique" CPL(H) ground school with Atlantic Flight Training!

There are two providers of CPL(H) ground school :ok: so it may worth a look at both.

Cheers

Whirls

Bravo73
16th Oct 2006, 14:27
Never heard a good thing about Dragon, either on here or out in the 'real world'.

Like Helinut suggests, try a search! :uhoh:

lynx247
16th Oct 2006, 14:31
Bristol GS is an excellent course, but provides a theory course for ATPL(H) level exams. The other courses mentioned in this thread are for CPL(H) level theory, which is quite different.

In simple terms, there is not really much point in obtaining ATPL(H) exam credits if you are not intending to take your Instrument Rating, IR(H), within 3 years of passing the exams, otherwise you more or less have to start again, as the ATPL(H) theory credits actually have an expiry date.

The only other advice I can give is that the ATPL(H) theory is much more in-depth study (very intensive) and will take about twice as long to complete as the CPL(H) theory.

Hope this helps...

Needlesplit
16th Oct 2006, 14:45
Thanks folks,

I tried a search but nothing came up on either Dragon or Dragon helicopters.

I gather that it is a watered down ATPL, just 9 exams etc but didnt know about Atlantic - thanks Whirls.

Bravo73
16th Oct 2006, 15:18
I tried a search but nothing came up on either Dragon or Dragon helicopters.

On the search, you'll probably need to change 'Find Posts from...' to 'Any Date'.

But here's one of the threads to get you started:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200214 :yuk:

HELI SMURF
16th Oct 2006, 17:46
I sat the cpl (H) with Dragon and found the course to be very good.The CGI is extremely knowledgable and the back up is there if you need it.The first module consists of a week in class and 5 exams with the second module lasting 2 weeks in class with the remaining four exams.The course notes are taken from Bristol's course and the subscription to the on-line
question bank is without a doubt the key to achieving a high grade in these exams.When you have achieved a pass in all nine exams and pass the skills test you will recieve a CPL(H) with JAR-FCL ATPL(H) theoretical
knowledge credit.This credit does not run out unlike the ATPL(H) exams.
You can add your (IR) theory exams at any time.There are seven exams to take for this but as far as I know there is no specific (H) IR course.
I would have no problem in recommending Dragon as an alternate to Bristol
and I found all of the staff to be very friendly and efficient.I hope this gives you a bit of help with your decision and best of luck what ever route you take.:)

paco
17th Oct 2006, 04:24
I believe Dragon use Bristol notes anyway.

Phil

Bravo73
17th Oct 2006, 07:37
When you have achieved a pass in all nine exams and pass the skills test you will recieve a CPL(H) with JAR-FCL ATPL(H) theoretical knowledge credit.

Er, no you won't. := You'll have a CPL(H) with CPL theory credits!

To acheive 'ATPL theory credits', you have to attend the full ATPL theory course and sit all 14 exams (surprise, surprise!) :rolleyes:

(Or, apparently, the other route is to sit 16 exams: 9 CPL + 7 IR!)

170'
17th Oct 2006, 08:02
I converted from FAA via Dragon. Was on one of the early (ish) courses and we had a few minor teething problems. As soon as anything came up problem wise. It was immediately addressed and rectified. The Chief GI is excellent and if you apply yourself,, you will pass...I have no knowledge about other schools. But I would be happy to do it again with Dragon. Or at least as happy as anyone could be, having to study this impractical syllabus.

I have struck up a friendship with the staff at Dragon, so my opinion is biased. I say this because all opinions are biased. And someone's inability to apply themselves and therefore fail. can't be attributed to the school.

You'll be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable person than Dragons' CGI...And equally hard pressed to find any organization more willing to go the extra mile to get you thru something you don't quite get..

In addition, much has been said about Dragon from people with 4th hand knowledge. Kind of like a chain letter..read it and pass it on!

But of course it's a biased opinion ;) 170'

Whirlygig
17th Oct 2006, 08:43
To acheive 'ATPL theory credits', you have to attend the full ATPL theory course and sit all 14 exams
That's only partly my understanding. I understood that if you obtained the CPL(H) theory credits and then did the IR(H) theory, the two together would count as ATPL(H) theory credit. I know there has been a fair amount of discussion on this as it appears to be different to the fixed wing rules but it's certainly how JAR-FCL2 reads to me.

Cheers

Whirls

Bravo73
17th Oct 2006, 11:02
That might well be the case, Whirls, but my post was really in response to HELI SMURF's claim that you get ATPL theory credits by sitting the CPL exams.

Which you obviously don't! :ok:

Head Bolt
19th Oct 2006, 10:25
Whirls is correct, if you do CPL(H) exams and then the add-on IR(H) exams later, this is counted as ATPL(H) theory level pass as far as the CAA are concerned.

I think Ground Training Services at Bournemouth may also do a CPL(H) course for those that are on the lookout.

helicopter-redeye
19th Oct 2006, 15:05
I think Roger is trying to 'kill' the CPLH at GTS as most Heli people go there for either the ATPLH ground school or IRH ground school. (but I'm not sure he has fully succeeded yet ...)

However his prices are amongst the best and the staff have worked together for about 300 yrs so know their stuff.

h-r;)