PDA

View Full Version : More Chinooks to Afghanistan

ORAC
16th Oct 2006, 05:46
Grauniad, Monday 16 Oct: ....In a separate development yesterday, it emerged that RAF Chinooks now used to ferry troops around the UK and Germany will be sent to Afghanistan, adding up to five aircraft to the fleet of eight Chinooks used to support British forces in Helmand province. They will be replaced with civilian helicopters, but the MoD will not use such aircraft in Afghanistan.

The Helpful Stacker
16th Oct 2006, 06:03
Well at least that poor woman who brought her house under a well-established flight path will have less noise passing over her decrepit pile.

serf
16th Oct 2006, 06:41
They must be doing cartwheels down the corridors with glee in Odiham - stretched but not overstretched - must be time for an article in the press from CAS.

LeanMe
16th Oct 2006, 09:45
They must be doing cartwheels down the corridors with glee in Odiham - stretched but not overstretched - must be time for an article in the press from CAS.

We've been expecting this for some time. Welcome to RAF Odiham (Afghan Det), you can expect to be sent to the UK for at most four months of the year.:D

mutleyfour
16th Oct 2006, 11:01
Oh dear, how on earth do the MOD expect to keep that pace of life up for the next 5 years or so? Complete insanity.

Maybe its time to play the Joker! Give Mr blair a call and ask for some more staff to man such deployments.

Footnote.

How much real value can soldiers get from training in a civvy helicopter in the UK? I don't see that the Mi 17 has any any real similarities to the Chinook at all!

Thud_and_Blunder
16th Oct 2006, 14:58
I don't see that the Mi 17 has any any real similarities to the Chinook at all!
mutley4 - you obviously don't work for the film company that put Sean Bean et al in the back of one for Ego Two Zero, then...

No Vote Joe
17th Oct 2006, 14:27
Heard rumour that the SAR Boy rearcrew/medics may be getting involved to help bolster the numbers, especially the ones with SH experience.

Anyone else heard those drums?

Razor61
17th Oct 2006, 15:01
mutley4 - you obviously don't work for the film company that put Sean Bean et al in the back of one for Ego Two Zero, then...

Which was an S-61

Navaleye
17th Oct 2006, 15:47
How did they get the Chinhook back from MPA?

VitaminGee
17th Oct 2006, 15:57
AAR and piles cushions? :{

dodgysootie
17th Oct 2006, 16:15
I pretty sure they use a leased Antonov AN124, I've seen Seakings moved this way. Oh to be at Odiham!!!

ukmil
23rd Oct 2006, 18:41
the chinook 'piggy backed' a ride in the antonov, which was there doing a tornado swap