PDA

View Full Version : Krackow - anyone been ?

FullyFlapped
15th Oct 2006, 22:06
Says it all, really - anyone got any experiences to share ? I have searched ...

FF :ok:

Small Rodent Driver
16th Oct 2006, 07:30
Been there by motor bike. Not by air though.

slim_slag
16th Oct 2006, 09:58
A well loved LOCO will take you there from STN from £1.39 + extras. Says it all really.

Pianorak
16th Oct 2006, 10:00
Try a search for Krakow - brings up eight posts.

radian
16th Oct 2006, 10:23
Hello there!

First of all, the airports is closed for all ultralight aircraft due to shortage of parking places. So I hope you're flying something else :)

If you're going to fly VFR, you will be asked to contact some of the Flight Information sectors as soon as you cross Polish border (filing a flight plan is required if you cross the border during the flight). They will assist you during the flight.

As you come closer to EPKK, you will be handed-off to Krakow FIS sector. Probably you will be asked to descend to be below Krakow TMA (initially to about 5000ft altitude, then below 3500ft). Shortly before entering EPKK CTR you will be asked to descend to 1800ft and contact Krakow TWR (freq.123,25).
Of course, you can always request higher altitude and enter TMA. If you do so, you will be handed-off to Krakow APP (freq. 121,975). The same will be done in some emergency situations like entering IMC and some other problems. The thing is that APP can give you vectors for approach or to guide you to some safe place and FIS cannot.

Entering the CTR (which limits are at 1800ft. alt) can be done via three entry points: Sierra (frome the south), India (north-west) or Oscar (north-east). All of them are published on the maps in AIP Poland (see link below). As soon as you get clearance to enter CTR, you will be instructed to proceed to points Zulu (if you're coming from the north) or Kilo (if you're coming from the south). If there's some traffic, you will be asked to hold visually over one of those points. There's no published holding procedure but the important thing is to keep clear of those points (so you keep to the north of Zulu and to the south of Kilo).

Then you will be clear for approach, usually runway 25 is in use. After landing - if you fly general aviation - you will taxi via B, G to stand number 18 (general aviation) and follow-me car will be mandatory for you.

Departure procedure is similar - it takes you via K/Z and S/I/O out of the CTR. As a VFR flight you can get your clearance for flight on both TWR (123,25) and Delivery (118,1) frequency.

If it comes to handling, fees and refueling. Fees can be found on airport website. If your MTOW is below 2000kg. fee for landing will be 81,15 PLN. Parking is free for first 30minutes, then it's 12,20PLN for each commenced tonne of MTOW and every commenced 24hours.
Departing passenger charge: 48,90PLN per passenger (excluding the crew!)
Plus navigational charges for aerodrome control. If your MTOW is below 2000kg it will be 50PLN.
Handling is made by "KRK Airport Services" and refuelling by "PetroLOT". You can ask an agent you assist you in anything you need. The agent will come to you by bus or van - you cannot walk through the apron on your own (see AIP) :)

Links:
airport webpage: http://www.lotnisko-balice.pl/eng
airport fees: http://www.lotnisko-balice.pl/eng/oplaty_lotniskowe.asp
nav fees: http://www.pata.pl/oplaty/EP_GEN_4.2..pdf
e-AIP Poland (free register!) http://ais.pata.pl/aip

Good luck! And have great time in Krakow! :)
Radian.

FullyFlapped
16th Oct 2006, 17:06
Radian - an excellent, comprehensive and really useful reply to my question - thank you very much, perhaps we'll get to meet in a couple of weeks !!;)

Everyone else - thanks for your various inputs, but I'm planning to fly there myself .... and Pianorak, I'd already searched, those threads you refer to tell me a lot about Jet2, EasyJet, Ryanair etc, but don't help me, which is why I posted ... :ugh:

FF :ok:

IO540
16th Oct 2006, 18:05
Excellent reply, Radian. The sort of material which is needed here!

Bluebeard777
17th Oct 2006, 11:11
I flew into Krakow last year, just to get fuel as the smaller airfields tend not to have fuel for sale. My recollection is that I thought it was very expensive by the standards of Polish airfields :{ , maybe you can work this out from Radian's details. No problems otherwise, friendly enough by the standards of commercial-traffic airports.

Say again s l o w l y
17th Oct 2006, 11:18
Radian, I wish there were more posts on PPRUNE of this quality.

Krakow is a beautiful city and I'm sure you'll enjoy visiting it.

pistongone
17th Oct 2006, 12:41
I just checked the current rate and its one Zlotty for 17p, its a long time since i looked at that currency, i am sure it used to be about 50 or 60 to the pound? Still that makes 204:45 PLN £35.52. Not cheap not dear:hmm: :hmm: Still the beer is cheap when you get there :p :p and the general cost of everything really!
Radian, how much is avgas per litre? please.

radian
19th Oct 2006, 09:32
Aviation fuel in Poland is a great problem indeed. Due some stupid government regulations the only company that can sell fuel is Petrolot! It's hard to find many places for refuelling; some pilots fly with extra fuel carried in containers aboard a plane!
According to Petrolot, current price for Avgas 100LL is 6,52PLN + 22%VAT. There's a remark that VAT is not added if a flight is an international flight (how do they check that!? :ugh:). Above price is valid until 31st. October.

http://www.petrolot.pl/cenypaliwiuslug.html (prices table, in Polish)

hobbit1983
19th Oct 2006, 11:02
Thanks for the info radian - I've visited Krakow before, and have contacts down there. Considering a flying trip out there next summer - your info should certainly come in handy.

Radar
19th Oct 2006, 19:33
FF

Very little to add (radian's pretty much said it all). I visited Krakow in May 2004 as part of a trip around Eastern Europe. We flew into Krakow from Tallin (at FL095 if memory serves me correctly). Rerouted due to military activity in NE Poland and cleared direct destination once clear of the activity. Departed a couple of days later to Budapest. Probably the most straight forward, supportive and coherent ATC service I've ever experienced.

The city itself was great, a very enjoyable visit. Getting there, and out again, was a piece of cake.

radian
20th Oct 2006, 09:37
Probably the most straight forward, supportive and coherent ATC service I've ever experienced.
The city itself was great, a very enjoyable visit. Getting there, and out again, was a piece of cake.

I'm really, really glad to hear that!
And I will appreciate any other comments regarding ATC in Poland, especially in Krakow (approach and tower).

turniphead
22nd Oct 2006, 10:39
Radian; You are a star and I expect it was you that looked after us all in our 'formation' of Moths, Dragons,Yaks, Cessnas and Barons that stayed a few days in Krakow last month.

perfect ATC and service. Alas Petrolot wre very slow (2 hours queuing for fuel and then poor paperwork and payment problems).
Wonderful city.
Must visit the Salt Mines , and if you have the stomach for it a visit to Auchwitz is a life-changing experience.

radian
24th Oct 2006, 14:24
Radian; You are a star and I expect it was you that looked after us all in our 'formation' of Moths, Dragons,Yaks, Cessnas and Barons that stayed a few days in Krakow last month.

Unfortunately not :( In fact, I was on a hill near the airport watching your arrival with some spotters :) :D But I was working during your afternoon departure (I'm not sure but I suppose it was done in groups). I have to admit it was a mess because military apron doesn't have stand numbers and we didn't know 'who's who' :} So.. sorry for questions like "what colour are you?" ;)

Must visit the Salt Mines , and if you have the stomach for it a visit to Auchwitz is a life-changing experience.

To avoid surprise, plan at least one whole day for each of these. Salt Mines are located in Wieliczka, near Krakow; and Auschwitz is in Oswiecim - it's almost 100km away. But it takes a lot of time to see everything there.

In Krakow itself, there are many places worth visit. Wawel Royal Castle, Old Jewish Town (Kazimierz). And if you want to learn how people lived here during communism (and you want to have great time laughing!) - take a Crazy Guide - see here for details: http://www.crazyguides.com/ :ok:

Julian
24th Oct 2006, 15:23
Great post Radian.

Whats the PLN / UKŁ exchange rate?

J.

stickandrudderman
24th Oct 2006, 17:59
Radian,
You should apply for the polish ambassador's post!
until I read this thread I had no intention of visiting Krakow, but now......:D

radian
25th Oct 2006, 07:54
Everybody! Come to Krakow, you won't regret it! :ok:
Exchange rate (average, published by Polish National Bank) is published here (updated daily): http://www.nbp.pl/Kursy/RatesA.html
Today it's: 1 GBP = 5,7716 PLN
Average prices in Krakow are:
- beer (0.5l.) = ranging from 5PLN to 12PLN
- dinner in not-expensive restaurant = about 35PLN per person
- petrol (1l.) = about 4PLN
- taxis (in city limits, during night; airport taxis have different prices and - sometimes - they try to cheat!) = about 30 to 50 PLN

There are many websites regarding accomodation in Krakow, just google! :) (e.g. http://www.cracowonline.com/)
And if you're going to travel by private plane - let me know earlier; we will be prepared to serve you well :E

deanoverton
12th May 2013, 21:14
Dear Radian

Back in 2006 you gave a very detailed answer to someone flying to Kracow airport. I am planning on flying to this region of Poland in June and would like to know if anything has changed since your excellent advice? In particular, as I want to visit Auschwitz, is it possible to fly to Katowice airport, as it appears to be closer than Kracow to Auschwitz? I also have some business in Limonowa and thought the airfield Nowy Sacz (EPNL) would be closest. Is it possible to land there? If so, can you tell me if they have Avgas there? Is it still difficult to buy Avgas in Poland - or is Kracow the only place I can buy it in the region?

Dean Overton

letpmar
13th May 2013, 00:12
Hi Dean
I spent a lot of time at Pobnietnic Welki airfield (sure that's wrong spelling) many years ago, its the opposite side of town than the international airport.
I planned a trip there just for old times sake but it will have to wait till next year now. I contacted the flying club there and they where very helpful. I will dig out the contact details and get them to you.

Pete

Romeo Tango
19th Jun 2016, 09:37
Any up to date info on Krakow/Balice? I'm going there next week

Is handling mandatory? If so which handler is best/cheapest for light aircraft?

Thank you

Bill

Jan Olieslagers
19th Jun 2016, 11:26
Dean,
From another forum I know a chap who flies a club microlight near Kraków, feel free to pm me for details.
Allow me to suggest you take care of spelling, at least in contacts with the locals, that might save you some embarrassment.
Also, there is a fairly up to date overview of Polish airfields online at Lotniska · L?dowiska · Airports in Poland (http://lotniska.dlapilota.pl/) but it is of course unofficial info so always check.

PDR1
19th Jun 2016, 11:42
Don't know about the aircraft handling because I went as SLF, but just wanted to say that Krakow has a real hidden gem in its aircraft museum. You have to really hunt around to find it (it's behind the polytechnic), but it really is the most amazing place. the *least* interesting bit is the way that outside in the field they have examples of pretty well every sub-type of Mig 15, 17, 19, 21 & 23 (which you can walk arund/under and touch if you want to. But they have a pre ww1 hall of original condition aircraft 9unrestored), an amazing ww1 hall, a ww2 hall etc etc. It's worth paying the (small) fee for a guided tour to explain the significance of many of the exhibits if you don't read fluent Polish. I could easily have spent a couple of days there, but I had wife & daughters with me. This also inhibited potential enjoyment of another of Krakow's signature features - being Poland's top university town it is a superb totty-spotting venue (similar to St Petersberg, only more so!).

I would put the Krakow aircraft museum right up there on the "must see" list for any aviophile.

PDR

Romeo Tango
6th Jul 2016, 10:08
For the record my visit Balice was trouble free. Handling is mandetory, I used "Welcome" who did not charge me very much for an excellent service. Avgas was available, if expensive compared to other places in Poland. The only gotcha is to be aware of the need to book parking 24H ahead or you may not get accepted, this can be done directly to the airfield or via the handler.