PDA

View Full Version : JAR PPL validity in New Zealand?

angelacr
15th Oct 2006, 14:30
Hi,
I would like to self-fly hire in New Zealand next month. I have a JAR PPL(A) and am a little confused by CAA LASORS as to whether my licence will be valid there or not. CAA say that JAR licence holders don't have to have their licences validated to fly in a foreign state (post 9/11) whereas non-JAR licence holders do - 'if the state requires it'. New Zealand is not listed as a JAA signatory. So does anyone have the up-to-date low down on flying requirements for PPLs in NZ please? Can I just turn up and expect to fly after a checkout?
Angela
YAWS is now at yaws.mobi (http://yaws.mobi) too!

Arclite01
16th Oct 2006, 06:55
It really isn't that simple.

I am doing a conversion at Masterton in NZ as we speak.

They are insisting I do 5 hours of instrument flying, plus 1 hour low level flying and 1 hour mountain flying (a requirement for the NZ PPL). Plus exams plus a BFR ! (I already have a JAR PPL SEP plus 100 hours P1 and a TT of 125 hours, plus 500hrs gliding).

I was a bit pi$$ed as you can imagine (I thought it'd be like the states - a BFR, some paperwork and of you go). BUT the weather conditions, the cloud conditions, the wind and the mountains are very different to the UK. The hours I'm doing might just save my life - so I'm not moaning

Don't cut any corners !!!! - The upside - it's £45 per hour wet here !!, the scenary is incredible and the conditions test you big style !

Want more info - PM me.

cheers

Arc

Tall_guy_in_a_152
16th Oct 2006, 13:31
There are two separate issues to resolve. The first is to get your license recognised by the NZ CAA. I cannot remember the details and it may well have changed in the past couple of years, but this was the easy bit.

The second problem is to convince someone to rent you an aircraft. Everyone wants varying degrees of mountain flying training, usually signed off in NZ. Note this is several hours of specific training, not just experience.

In the end I rented a C-172 from Queenstown with an instructor and my wife sat in the back. We had a great time touring and playing in the mountains and visiting a great aviation museum in Wanaka.