PDA

View Full Version : Afghan VC?

ORAC
15th Oct 2006, 08:42
Sunday Times: Revealed: Para in line for first Afghan VC (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-2404491,00.html)

A PARATROOPER who came under a ferocious hail of Taliban gunfire as he saved the life of a wounded American sergeant is the first British soldier serving in Afghanistan to be recommended for the Victoria Cross.

Private Peter McKinley, 21, a trained first aid soldier, endured 15 minutes of sustained attack from heavy machineguns and rocket-propelled grenades as he treated the US soldier during one of the most intense battles experienced by the 3rd Battalion the Parachute Regiment. Army commanders have described McKinley’s rescue effort in Helmand province as a “massive display of bravery” and have put his name forward to the Interdepartmental Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals.......

airborne_artist
15th Oct 2006, 08:59
Mooted in the Telegraph on 28 Sep 06 article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/28/nmedals28.xml).

Roland Pulfrew
15th Oct 2006, 18:39
Good luck to the lad. If he deserves it, I for one hope he gets it. It's about time the army put people up for serious awards. But then it might also apply to those of the other services as well!!

Chugalug2
15th Oct 2006, 19:34
Humbling to read the story, the citation if he gets the VC probably even more so. The snippets that have emerged from AFG will no doubt firm up now that the troop rotation is done. I suspect that this effort, though exceptional, will be just one of such stories of raw courage by many. Whatever the outcome, well done, from now on your life will never be the same again.

Two's in
15th Oct 2006, 21:47
Everyone of these well deserving nominees will undoubtedly be matched by countless examples of heroism and bravery that went unreported. My only reservation about this will be the spineless political leeches who step forward to bask in the reflected glory of true warriors when the awards are made.

matkat
16th Oct 2006, 15:22
I also read the story and hope that if He did as the story says then it is awarded also hope this does not get bogged down in red tape.