PDA

View Full Version : PPL and Night Rating

worldpilot
14th Oct 2006, 18:05
Since attaining my PPL license with night qualifications last year, I'm yet to fly during the night. Now, I am wondering if I've to fly during the night to maintain the night rating. I've already more than the 25 hours needed to stay current and maintain the PPL requirements. My concern is though, what will happen if by the next scheduled evaluation of my license by CAA I don't fly according to FAR 61.57??:ugh::ugh:

The issue is, what do I have to do to maintain my PPL w/NQ?:rolleyes:

Btw, I'm based in Germany but hold a JAA PPL w/NQ issued by CAA.

WP

gcolyer
14th Oct 2006, 18:35
The NQ does not expire and does not need to be revalidated. However you will not be allowed to carry PAX at night if you have not done the following:

Lasors Section E13 paragraph E4.2
Within the previous 90 days you have made at least 1 take off and landing at night.

So basicaly if you do the above at least every 90 days there will be no restriction. However you do not have to do the above if you dont want to carry pax at night.

As far as FAR 61.57..that is an FAA regulation and does not apply to your JAA/CAA license

S-Works
15th Oct 2006, 08:06
Unless you have a JAA Instrument Rating apparantly I am exempt from the revalidation requirements!

Why is this?

gcolyer
15th Oct 2006, 09:43
Unless you have a JAA Instrument Rating apparantly I am exempt from the revalidation requirements!

Why is this?

So because you have an IR you have to revalidate your NQ?? That sounds nuts.

I cant find a mention of it antwhere though.

Johnm
15th Oct 2006, 19:54
If you have an IR you do not need to revalidate your night qual for passengers

IO540
15th Oct 2006, 20:10
That's true for a JAA IR, but it isn't true for an FAA IR which still needs the three night takeoffs and three night landings for passenger carriage.

slim_slag
15th Oct 2006, 20:13
and each has to be to a full stop, touch and go doesn't count for night passenger currency, only day.

Fuji Abound
15th Oct 2006, 20:35
Bose X correct but I am not sure with an JAA IR it is necessarily any more sensible to land at night with passengers after a summer gap.

S-Works
15th Oct 2006, 21:03
Bose X correct but I am not sure with an JAA IR it is necessarily any more sensible to land at night with passengers after a summer gap.

Yep, much better that I kill myself rather than taking my passengers with me...... :p

But on the bright side, I don't have the summer off, we have POL and I come and go at all hours, a 7:00 breakfast meeting in St Helier or a late afternoon meeting on Manx, or Dublin struggle to meet even the long British Summer days!