PDA

View Full Version : A few Harrier GR7, Tornado (etc) Questions

BUPA
14th Oct 2006, 13:00
A few Harrier GR7, Tornado (etc) Questions.

Hi,
Just looking online/through some MoD Literature and can't find any correct, up-to-date answer on the following, regarding the RAF. Can ay provide the Up-to-date answers, Cheers!!:}

Are the only F3 Sqn's;
25 @Leeming,
43 @Leuchars
111 @ Leuchars,
56(R) @Leuchars (OCU),
1435 Flt @ Mt. Pleasant,
and when is the plan for their disbandment due to the succession of the Typhoon?

What are the differences between GR7 & 7A?

Numbers and locations of Harrier GR9 & 9A Sqn’s and bases? Plans for future ones?

Jaguar Squadrons...? Do the 3 I have read about still exist, again due to Typhoon?

When is JCA entering service?

I know there is quite a bit, but cheers! :E

Wrathmonk
14th Oct 2006, 13:27
The internet is a wonderful toy. Find your answers at http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafhome.html. Or even buy the book specifically designed for such questions http://www.raf.mod.uk/handbook.html. If the answers aren't in there then I guess they don't want you to know!

BUPA
14th Oct 2006, 13:31
Thanks, but I’ve actually been looking at both of these sources; but they seem to contradict each other some what. Just thought some Regular RAF Personnel could give me some clarification.

Thanks anyway

alex_holbrook
14th Oct 2006, 15:46
I'll leave the squadron questions to someone genuinely in the know, but the difference between the GR7/GR7A and GR9/GR9A is.... the GR7A is the GR7, but with an upgrade from the Rolls Royce Pegasus 105 to the Pegasus 107. This was due to the 105s losing power in the harsh conditions in the desert. The GR9 is a GR7 with a systems upgrade, the GR9A is a GR7 with a systems and an engine upgrade.
Hope that helped,
Al

Pontius Navigator
14th Oct 2006, 16:37
There is only one Jaguar Sqn, No 6 at RAF Coningsby. They disband in Oct 07.

The F3s are as listed.

The JCA date is so far off as to be not worth bothering with. I believe the requirement is for 150 but I don't think they have been ordered even.

Fox2long
14th Oct 2006, 19:16
To answer the F3 Q. Or Partof it at least 25 is due to close Mar 08 at the mo. But don't put the mortgage on it!!!

High_lander
14th Oct 2006, 22:37
Could one be a cynic and suggest that we might be used as a

"MOD Spokesman:yuk: said"/"Credible Source"?:8

Just a cynical spin:E :E :E

Pontius Navigator
15th Oct 2006, 07:39
High lander, I confess. I got all the info from the RAF websites; just have to be selective and use the ones that tell the truth.

High_lander
15th Oct 2006, 14:24
I understand that. I wasn't having a dig at you.

Just seems me attempting to be funny:{ again:rolleyes:

Pontius Navigator
15th Oct 2006, 16:44
Nah, just really saying that the gen is there if you look although I admit you need to know which sites are right _ Coninsgby - 6 Sqn and MOD 3 sqns.

ukmil
19th Oct 2006, 16:17
not sure about the others, but 56 Sqn was due to disband Jul07, it was then extended, but reducing aircraft numbers, to 12, but NOW, it has been extended again, until at least 2011 with 16 aircraft