PDA

View Full Version : Vibrating Vests

Cyclic Hotline
13th Oct 2006, 21:20
Vibrating vests could save lives
Military developing device to help keep rescue helicopter pilots safe on the job
By CHRIS LAMBIE Staff Reporter
ADVERTISEMENT

Defence scientists are spending $430,000 to develop a vibrating vest that will give search and rescue helicopter pilots tactile cues about their aircraft’s position in the sky.

The two-year project will design vests that deliver vibrations pilots can sense on their skin.

"If you have the little vibrators introduce a pattern that moved up the trunk, so it started down near your waist and you felt that wave of activity moving up, it might indicate that the aircraft is going up," said Keith Hendy, deputy director general of Defence Research and Development Canada.

"If it started near you neck and started to move down over your chest, you might think that the aircraft is descending. If you feel the vibration just on your front, it might be going forward. If you feel it on your back, it might be going back, and the same with the sides."

Scientists hope the vests will be useful for whiteout landings and hovering above rescue victims in the water or on the ground. It should keep them from running into the ground and allow a pilot to keep his helicopter localized over one spot.

"Helicopters, of course, with their rotor wash can kick up spray if they’re over the ocean, or snow if they’re over snowy terrain or, if they’re in places like Afghanistan, dust clouds, all of which can obscure the vision of the pilot and they lose reference of where they are with respect to the earth," said Mr. Hendy, an electrical engineer.

"So the aircraft could pitch quite violently nose down and they may never realize it. It’s too late."

The U.S. military has done some work on similar vests. But Canadian scientists will look at better ways to integrate the vibrating devices into clothing and the most effective patterns for conveying information to pilots.

The vests will be tested at the National Research Council’s flight research laboratory in Ottawa.

"This, to my mind, is an interim technology that you may see coming into aircraft over the next 10 or so years," Mr. Hendy said. "But I think it will be eventually replaced by advanced head-up displays and graphical interfaces that can provide clear view days even if the weather is inclement."

Larry McWha, a former Canadian Forces helicopter pilot, doubts the vests would have helped to prevent the July 13 crash of a Canadian Forces Cormorant rescue helicopter off Canso that killed three of the chopper’s crewmen.

"The Cormorant is a pretty automatic cockpit and it already has voices that come on and tell you if you’re too low or to do this or to do that if something’s going wrong," said Mr. McWha, a retired colonel.

The vests would more likely be used in older helicopters, like the Sea Kings or Griffons, he said.

"I can’t believe that they would be developing such a device as a backup or a second system (for the Cormorants) because some things that people already complain about is that there are just too many prompts and too many signals coming in to the pilot anyway right now."

The vest could create confusion if the signals didn’t match other cues, Mr. McWha said.

"That’s not to say that you couldn’t use it in a Cormorant, but I think that they would probably find it unwise to do that because of the potential for conflicting signals to the pilot," he said.

There’s already something in the cockpit of most helicopters "that slaps you in the face if you’re doing something wrong," Mr. McWha said with a chuckle. "It’s called a co-pilot."

Mr. Hendy, who is also a pilot, said he was "a bit of a disbeliever" initially.

"I thought, ‘Oh God, here’s another thing that I’ve got to wear,’ and, ‘Maybe it isn’t the way to do it.’ But I was actually very surprised and very pleased to see how positive this technology was in providing cues to pilots that they wouldn’t otherwise have."

The vests could also have a wide range of applications outside the military, ranging from heavy-lift helicopters that assemble buildings to police choppers that chase felons at night, Mr. Hendy said.

"Pretty well any rotary wing operation where visibility can be degraded for whatever reason could potentially make use of this sort of technology," he said.

[email protected]

HOGE
13th Oct 2006, 23:27
How about vibrating pants?:}

NickLappos
13th Oct 2006, 23:48
That goes right up there as the silliest way to cue a crewman, right up there the nasagraph. If there are that many things that the crew has to worry about, it is time to stay home or fix the helicopter.

SASless
14th Oct 2006, 00:02
OH! Spare me! Someone's brother-in-law must have needed a job!

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/15/6366/320/Bull****-Negation_in-color_.jpg

Chairmanofthebored
14th Oct 2006, 04:17
Yeah its a great idea until it malfunctions in the hover and reverses the cues.

topendtorque
14th Oct 2006, 12:37
Hmmm been there done that

after being strapped to a 600 series '47 xmon most of every year, one year I spent the last few weeks of ten hour days strapped to a '47 900 series xmon.

my astute offspring noticed how slow I was to stand up straight at days end.

solution - at xmas we'll buy dad a vibrating seat cover for the motor car so that he can get fixed up while he drives us four days each way to the coast for holidays.

If I do say so myself, I'll not be volunteering as a test dummy for your new gadget:ugh:

SARREMF
14th Oct 2006, 13:49
Actually, this was on dispaly at the Brighton SAR conference several years ago. Then it was a German company who had developed it and had a working version on show in the hall. The demo was actually quite convincing. The jacket they had looked like a standard LCJ - i.e. the load carrying jerkin rather than an LSJ [life saving jacket]. Their claim at the time was that in a training environment you could teach someone to hover quicker because they were using more senses than you would normally use. The only thought/issue I had was that they would then only be able to hover with a vibrating jacket rather than use the same cues a normally trained pilot used? However, they had a fix for this, by alternating the sorties so that you [i.e. the brain] used a combination of techniques and data to produce a hover.

I think it might just work - as long as you didn't have a doppler runaway or some malfunction in its ability to detect when the hover was actually achieved. Overwater would be interresting? I guess now they would use GPS but that would be fixed point not stable hover relative to water or dinghy etc.
Still convincing demo!

rudestuff
14th Oct 2006, 16:23
Sounds like there would have to be a boat-load of sensors and stuff to tell the pilot hat the aircraft is doing - why not just make it an auto-hover and be done with it?

500e
14th Oct 2006, 20:01
Ardman animation are in here somewhere Wallace will soon sort it out :ok:

SirVivr
15th Oct 2006, 01:36
In many ways, this thread could be linked with the Pilot Testing thread.
Non-pilots thinking up great ideas to help the pilots without any serious pilot input.
They "know" what is best for us. Mainly if it improves their income.
When we had our first two day session on CRM, I pushed the question that we will someday be evaluated, or scored, by psychologists. The answer was yes. Twenty years ago, I was told by an MD, Emergency Room Physician, dual ATP, that all psychiatrists believe pilots have a death wish. Are these the people to evaluate us? To make new systems to help us?
SAS, Nick, and others;
Remember the "liars test" we took for Warrent Officer Training? Sample question:
Would you rather be out in the hot sun marching your men, or in an air-conditioned office?
"Doh"
Political correctness may be good in an office, but a night approach in bad weather with varying winds is an art.
Synopsis:
Ask us what we need.
Rant over, working tomorrow.
Chas A

Matthew Parsons
15th Oct 2006, 03:31
I had an interesting discussion tonight with a well respected test pilot, who isn't directly involved in this project. He's seen it and tried it on a simulator and believes there is a huge amount of potential.

I think its one of those things that just doesn't sell on paper. I had a lot of doubts when I first heard of it, but after the discussion tonight I have a much more open mind and admit there might be something to this.

SARREMF
15th Oct 2006, 23:19
Which was the point I was trying to make. next time I'll just try plain english.

SirVivr
19th Oct 2006, 02:10
I had an interesting discussion tonight with a well respected test pilot, who isn't directly involved in this project. He's seen it and tried it on a simulator and believes there is a huge amount of potential.
I think its one of those things that just doesn't sell on paper. I had a lot of doubts when I first heard of it, but after the discussion tonight I have a much more open mind and admit there might be something to this.

I may be wrong. If this is possible,I would be very interested.

Chas A