PDA

View Full Version : Eurofighter Typhoon.

scudpilot
13th Oct 2006, 15:34
Hi Guys,

Not sure if I should be posting here or not, (if Not I apologise in advance) but, is the Typhoon actaully in service yet (i.e. suitable for deployment?)

L J R
13th Oct 2006, 17:48
....biting my toungue....

Pontius Navigator
13th Oct 2006, 18:14
I believe it should achieve IOC soon. It is unlikely that its IOC mission capability would be suitable to counter current threats.

<<Typhoon takes on ground attack role
10 Aug 06 The RAF’s Typhoon has taken on a precision air-to-surface capability. Part of the work, led by the Typhoon IPT, to keep the aircraft ahead of the competition, saw the partner nations endorse the Eurofighter GmbH Change Proposal (CP193) to provide it with the new capability.

Ground attack: a UK Typhoon demonstration aircraft equipped with six Paveway IIs The contract was signed by the general manager of NETMA (the NATO management agency for Typhoon) and Eurofighter GmbH (the Typhoon prime contractor).

The development of Typhoon’s initial combat capability has focussed on air-to-air weaponry with the aircraft set to be armed with the world’s most advanced short range and medium range missiles, ASRAAM and AMRAAM.

Now attention has turned to an air-to-surface capability vital in meeting the operational challenges facing the UK and its allies. The capability to be added comprises the Rafael Litening III Laser Designator Pod (procured for Typhoon by SANS and Air EW IPT) and Enhanced Paveway II bomb, and will greatly increase the effectiveness of the aircraft.

The £73M contract will provide a ground attack capability for the UK in advance of a more comprehensive air-to-surface package which is planned by all four partner nations (Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK) later in the decade.

The contract will provide the basis to meet the RAF’s air-to-surface operational capability in 2008 and is being driven by the UK’s requirement to bridge the planned drawdown of the Jaguar fleet. This work will also play a key role in developing and de-risking the way forward for the four-nation planned package of work.

The proven Enhanced Paveway II bomb is capable of homing onto targets using global positioning system co-ordinates passed to it from Typhoon, or by homing in on laser radiation reflected off the target from the latest version of the Litening pod.

The pod will also provide Typhoon with the ability to laser-designate ground targets for attack by other assets.

"This represents an important step towards a truly multi-role aircraft and, from this enhancement, the RAF’s Tranche 1 Typhoon fleet will gain the ability to mount all-weather autonomous precision ground attack missions."

IPT leader, Air Commodore Alex Deytrikh It will also provide a ground reconnaissance and scanning capability, even when the aircraft is flying at maximum speed at low altitudes and undertaking combat manoeuvres. A successful demonstration of the Litening pod using a test aircraft highlighted the great potential of the equipment once it is integrated on to Typhoon.

Director General Typhoon, Air Vice-Marshal Stephen Dalton, said:
"This contract represents the success of a great deal of hard, painstaking work by many in the IPT and by key individuals in the DPA support groups and MoD.

"It also represents the collective cooperation of Eurofighter GmbH and NETMA in developing a multi-role aircraft that will provide an outstandingly important element of agility and adaptability to European defence requirements.

"In addition, the advanced capability that will be provided by this and future air-to-surface enhancements gives the aircraft an even more competitive edge in export opportunities."

Safeware
13th Oct 2006, 20:57
"This contract represents the success of a great deal of hard, painstaking work by many in the IPT and by key individuals in the DPA support groups and MoD.

And as always, nothing about the hard work at Boscombe and Warton (and the other QQ places that support the RTS advice like Farnborough, Bedford and Malvern) :ugh:

But I suppose the answer to Scud's question is yes, and no.

sw

GlosMikeP
13th Oct 2006, 22:02
And as always, nothing about the hard work at Boscombe and Warton
Some things never change eh? As long ago as the mid 80s Boscombe was thought of as an impediment rather than, what it is, a safeguard.