PDA

View Full Version : BA Connect

baconbabe
13th Oct 2006, 15:12
Hi. Any idea how easy it is to get into BA mainline from Connect?
Also, any more juicy rumours re future of ScotAirways?
Cheers x

flybywire
14th Oct 2006, 12:49
Hi! You can apply for the mainline CC position internally, as soon as the recruiting starts again. the whole selection process is the same as for external candidates. You can find out when it's open again in the jobscan page in the BA News or on the intranet!

Sorry I do not know much about Scot Airways!

FBW

marlowe
14th Oct 2006, 13:06
There is no direct entry from BACON to Mainline you can apply externally, or if mainline are recruiting then they can recruit from BACON if they wish to, but there is no direct entry.

gps117
14th Oct 2006, 19:23
Hi,

With regards mainline who have to go through all the interview etc..but if i remeber the interview is the same, with the same questions.

You also keep your Date of Joining for staff travel etc as its a wholly owned subsidary ( forgive spelling)

Rumour is that mainline will be recruiting for LHR Eurofleet sometime in the spring

SuperBoy
14th Oct 2006, 20:01
Rumour is that mainline will be recruiting for LHR Eurofleet sometime in the spring

Rumour being the keyword. Not to rain on your parade but very doubtful that'll happen. There has been such a MAJOR influx of crew into LHR due to various ongoings at BA, as I am sure you are very much aware. However as always with BA until it's in black and white....

I'm not sure if you keep your date of joining, if you do that will be great for staff travel but nothing else. Your staff number does not affect your seniority so you will start right at the bottom of the seniority list.:8

I do hope it works out for y'all.

Good luck :ok::ok::ok:

baconbabe
16th Oct 2006, 18:15
Thanks to those who replied. I'll keep my eye on LHR.
Cheers x :)

flybywire
3rd Nov 2006, 10:29
Proposed sale of BA Connect

British Airways has announced that it has reached agreement in principle to sell the regional operation of its subsidiary airline BA Connect to Flybe.

BA Connect also operates from London City Airport and between Manchester and New York. The airline said these services will not form part of the proposed sale nor will the regional ground handling business, British Airways Regional Ltd.

Chief executive Willie Walsh said: “Point to point regional operations are not a strategic part of our business and we believe that such activities are better undertaken by a regional low cost airline.

“Despite the best efforts of the entire team at BA Connect, we do not see any prospect of profitability in its current form.

”The proposed sale to Flybe provides the best opportunity to secure the long-term future for the many dedicated staff in BA Connect. British Airways will have a 15 per cent investment in Flybe on completion of the disposal.

“London City services complement our mainline business at Heathrow. For this reason they are not included in the proposed sale.”

It is envisaged that once the sale of the regional business of BA Connect to Flybe is completed, there will be a transition period until the start of the summer schedule on March 25, 2007 while the handover of responsibilities is undertaken.

Guys this comes straight from the Intranet.

Anybody has anymore news????

flybywire
3rd Nov 2006, 10:31
Hi. Any idea how easy it is to get into BA mainline from Connect?
Also, any more juicy rumours re future of ScotAirways?
Cheers x
baconbabe...........if the proposed sale goes ahead it will be VERY difficult to transfer to BA mainline :{

flybywire
3rd Nov 2006, 11:18
Anybody??

WLITS? YD??? TOFSTER????

anybody actually working for BACon???

:(

cabingal
3rd Nov 2006, 12:44
I am crew for BaCon

baconbabe
3rd Nov 2006, 12:48
Apparently as far as the edi base is concerned, 10 cc will be kept on to op lcy only and the rest are off to flybe. There's currently 90 crew including 10 that just came online last week! So are they really going to take on 80 crew? My initial 6 month contract is up for renewal in Jan so I guess I'd better start looking again. If I wanted to work for a "no-frills" airline I wouldn't have applied to BACON in first place would I?

Off Stand
3rd Nov 2006, 13:12
cabingal, what's the latest that is being said at work? I only know what i've read on the intranet and on the bassa website. But, what are your managers telling you? I really hope that everything works out for you guys and that the unions make sure that you are looked after.

bababe
3rd Nov 2006, 16:42
we can apply to transfer internally to LHR/LGW which means basically that you are guaranteed an interview but nothing else, but can only do this through bacon until december when we'll become the outsiders and lose staff travel and maybe seniority, but seriously how much does seniority count for these days?!?

as i see it we'll get paid more, work about the same amount as we're all on min rest and max hours these days, work on brand new planes, new people, new management - which honestly can't be worse than those we have at the moment, go to new places, who cares what we wear as long as we get treated a bit better!!

marlowe
3rd Nov 2006, 17:03
Only if LHR/LGW are recruiting bababe, otherwise there are no rights to transfer. If mainline are recruiting then they can recruit from BACON if they so wish .

tiggerific_69
3rd Nov 2006, 17:03
Evans needs to be shot.and Walsh for his stinking attitude and calling it a "disposal".nice to know what he really thinks of us.
FBW,whats on the intranet is all weve heard,youre as much in the know as we are and flybe so it seems.
i really dont know where to turn,whether this will be a good thing or whether now is time to take the plunge and jump ship

baconbabe
3rd Nov 2006, 17:18
Tried to post this earlier but somehow got lost. Edi base has been told only 10 of 90 crew being kept to do LCY rotations. The other 80 going to Flybe. Directly we have 5 routes from Edi and Flybe compete on two of them. Doesn't add up to me.:ugh:

TeaAnyone21
3rd Nov 2006, 17:53
Personally it all sounds quite exciting to me. Will be nice to meet all the BACON guys. I hope you are all ready for the uniform though guys and gals. Plus you can come to Spain with us and get sun tans.

marlowe
3rd Nov 2006, 17:59
T69 where to jump to? the onefleet at LGW has a really poor starting salary £9640 + FDP so really gotta be getting lotta trips, your in BHX so you would have to commute or move to london area both big drains on pocket!!

flybywire
3rd Nov 2006, 18:55
Only if LHR/LGW are recruiting bababe, otherwise there are no rights to transfer. If mainline are recruiting then they can recruit from BACON if they so wish .

Unfortunately at the moment there're no plans to start recruiting cabin crew into mainline in the near future......:(

tiggerific_69
3rd Nov 2006, 19:09
who said jump to flying???

marlowe
3rd Nov 2006, 19:21
T69 cos have flown with ya and you love it really!!!!!!!

SuperBoy
3rd Nov 2006, 19:32
What are the concessions like with Flybe?

Do any BAcon crew know whether they could make use of the redeployment clause in there contracts? Or is that only vaild for when BA is actually recruiting?

tiggerific_69
3rd Nov 2006, 19:40
a colleague of mine told me there was some legalities regarding the whole issue and there may be the possibility of being offered LHR LH,but who knows
marlowe check your inbox!

SuperBoy
3rd Nov 2006, 20:08
I've just read on the FD forum that the company is being sold as TUPE.

TUPE - Transfer Of Undertakings, Protection of Employment.

So technically the redeployment clause does not cover you as you're not losing your job.

All though you never know....

tiggerific_69
3rd Nov 2006, 20:09
it didnt say it was definitely being sold as TUPE ;)

SuperBoy
3rd Nov 2006, 20:35
Hehe, no you didn't. LOL :)

Flying Fairy
3rd Nov 2006, 20:39
Do FlyBE do any nightstops from BHX and what is the pay generally like? Is it true that it is 6 sector days??!!:bored:

marlowe
3rd Nov 2006, 20:43
T69 check pm mate

tiggerific_69
3rd Nov 2006, 20:51
no nightstops unless its unsched & u go tech downroute or youre flying out of another base.basic around 10,800 and fdp 1.77ph but i dont think they can give us a pay cut.

baconbabe
4th Nov 2006, 11:35
Anybody know how I can change my user name? I think the reasons are fairly obvious!!

cabingal
4th Nov 2006, 16:02
I was in work this morning + people were quite down + morale was low but things do have to be put into perspective! Could have been worse - we could have been shut down. I am not going to jump ship - I'll just see how it pans out!

Off Stand
4th Nov 2006, 16:06
cabingal, make sure both unions make sure you guys don't get screwed over, whether you are an engineer, ramp agent, dispatchre, cabin crew, pilot or passenger services. You guys stick together, we all hope things work out well for you all.

cabingal
4th Nov 2006, 16:23
Thank you offstand! I am crew for BAcon + have been there for a few years - I am just glad we didn't get closed down! We will keep you informed!

Off Stand
4th Nov 2006, 18:18
Cabingal, I know 3-4 crew that came down to WWLGW in the last 12 months, great bunch. Hope all works out, keep us posted.

BaggageBob
4th Nov 2006, 20:15
Baconbabe,
If there are 10 RJs setting up the new company I would think they would need more than 10 cc.
Probably more like 100.
I think you will all stay on the RJ

pebbles4308
6th Nov 2006, 09:23
Hi everyone

Dont mean to put a dampner on the whole Flybe thing!! but if you can get out and get another job now i take it.... During the summer season i worked 200 hour months many people did 65hour weeks we do a lot of 6day weeks with six sector days, we always worked to our maximum and minimum rest!! its totally exausting many crew are trying to get out at the moment as its hard to have a life and work :{ :{ .(we also clean cabin on turnarounds when away from base except on flights over 1hr 30min)

We have just got union reg which we had a formal vote across all bases as Flybe refused to give us reg straight away, they kept on calling new crew into the office saying its really bad to have a union-what kind of co does that!!! 93% voted yes!!! we need a union as rules and laws get broken every day.

Average pay for a junior is around £1100 a month and senior £1400.

Good luck to all of you guys out there i hope all goes well for you.

flyer55
6th Nov 2006, 18:26
I wonder who will be operating the MAN - JFK route !

tiggerific_69
6th Nov 2006, 18:48
pebbles,
200 hour months?thats normal to most of us here at BACON Bhx,pursers are doing up to 300 hours a month,if not more.main crew also taking home £1100-1400 a month.and yep,were doing maximum hours with minimum rest,finish on a late before days off,back on an early,exhausting,crap life work balance.....tell us something new?

flyer55,i believe it will be mainline,most probably LHR WW as theyre trained on the 767 if theyre going to keep it on the 767,although there was talk of SF LGW doing it on a 777 they seem to have lying around

tiggerific_69
7th Nov 2006, 12:04
300 hours a month?no,its not illegal.if it was,we'd have been closed down a long time ago. i DO work for BA Connect so im telling you how it is.I myself as a junior have done up to 280 hours in a month during the summer,some weeks doing 7 days on with 1 day off and doing 12 hour days.
bad end of the deal?id say working for flybe is going to be better than having no job at all and being made redundant.id also like to hope that with the number of crew who will be available once the two companies come together,it will relieve the pressure on BOTH sets of crews and maybe conditions will improve for ALL of us.
If you dont like flybe,why dont you leave?or if you have left and have a problem with the company,get over it! let people from BACON make their own decisions.we dont need people like you shouting all bad news,when right now,it would be nice to have some good news for a bloody change,this news has come as a shock and is hard enough to digest as it is, without people like you bad mouthing and making the decision EVEN HARDER.most of us seem willing to give it a go,and so do most of the people at flybe.if we all go around with a stinking attitude like yours,it will never work.
now please leave the BACON people to discuss this,and to make their own decisions about their future with or without the company.
thank you

flyingbug
7th Nov 2006, 12:20
Tiggerific, Cabingal, Bababe et al,

Its true that we work hard in Flybe and I know you do within BaCon.
But all in, all flight crew (pilots and CC) are generally a decent bunch in every airline.
If you do come across to Flybe you'll be well received by the crews; sure we all have concerns re future prospects (some of us can see promotions and future prospects receeding back several years; you are going through the troubles of job security/mergers) but I am certain we'll get on just fine. Flight crew are certainly not looking to "shaft/screw" future colleagues.

If we see you, great!
If you have success elsewhere, good luck!

FB

tiggerific_69
7th Nov 2006, 12:41
thanks flyingbug,if youre bhx based i look forward to seeing you online,if not then maybe our paths will cross one day & i hope we can all work together to make this as pain free & successful as possible