PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Tornado

REF
12th Oct 2006, 20:57
I'm trying to ID the following Tornado.

Tornado F3, in 56 Sqn colours with the code "TL" on the tail fin. Seen in November 2003 at RAF Akrotiri. Would anyone know the registration?

Cheers

movadinkampa747
12th Oct 2006, 21:04
SPOTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Sven Sixtoo
12th Oct 2006, 21:23
And without spotters we'd have no airshows.
Now is that a good or a bad thing?

movadinkampa747
12th Oct 2006, 21:25

SPOTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

The Helpful Stacker
12th Oct 2006, 21:27
Now is that a good or a bad thing?

Well if you've ever been volunteered to clean up after an airshow its no bad thing.

Always amazes me how so many air-minded people can be so unaware or uncaring about FOD.

REF
12th Oct 2006, 22:05
I'm a spotter and proud of it thanks!!!!

I'm also a CI, with the Air Training Corps and with out them they would be alot less personnel in the RAF...

I've also done a few hours myself and know all about FOD.

Anyway, if anyone could help with the identity of the Tornado it'd be appreciated.

Rick

hobie
12th Oct 2006, 22:05
Well if you've ever been volunteered to clean up after an airshow its no bad thing.

If you think that's bad pop along to one of the Queens do's ..... :{

I believe there are now multi millionaires regularily being created by small companies specializing in "Clean up's" varying from Pop Concerts to Religous festivals, and everything between ....

REF .... hope you find your answer and don't worry about the Spotter crap above ..... some of the finest minds on PPRuNe pop into "Spectators Balcony (Spotters Corner) (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52) from time to time ..... and the quality of 'Forum Mod' is second to none ..... :ok:

noflybywire
12th Oct 2006, 23:32
REF. I'm a spotter and some of my best flying chums are also spotters. It's a Great hobby IMO and one that got me into flying. I now have thousands of hours on 748's/F27's/1-11's/146's and not forgetting my own Piper Arrow. Loved and love every minute,

Brian Abraham
13th Oct 2006, 06:41
No spotters=no air shows=no Reds. Now that WOULD be a crying shame. :(
Not forgetting all the others Her Majesty spends brass on converting kero into a noise and light show. :8

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Oct 2006, 07:31
movadinkampa747. This is Spotters Corner you WALLY

yellowdog
13th Oct 2006, 08:38
SPOTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
/SIZE]:eek:

[SIZE="4"]TOS%ER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YD

John Eacott
13th Oct 2006, 11:22
movadinkampa747. This is Spotters Corner

But it wasn't when this thread started in the Mil Forum :rolleyes:

Rigga
13th Oct 2006, 11:24
Tonka Tails are easily changed - I was at CBY when we had one with two Tail codes!

Razor61
13th Oct 2006, 14:33
You all knew what would happen when this thread would eventually be let loose on the military aircrew forum....
i'm no spotter, but i go to airshows to watch the display and take photographs.

As for spotters making airshows, i disagree to a degree...
Most of the spotters are stood on top of their little ladders overlooking the static rarities rather than watching the good 'ol flying display.

At this years RIAT i was trying to keep my head glued on the air display but as 'usual' there was quite a bit to look down on too....and when you have so many photogs taking up the flight line with seats, umbrellas and ladders, you have no choice but to take a back seat and sit behind the many 'other halves' laying in between you and the front seaters!
Found this quite funny actually when Mr747 came in..... made me laugh :E

REF
14th Oct 2006, 10:32
When I go to airshows I will always watch the flying display, and concentrate my photos on the stuff that is flying. I have just brought a new camera and I will have some better pictures for next years season. As for the statice aircraft, I will spend time looking at them, usually before aand after the flying. I go to airshows for the flying, though I like to know what I am taking pictures of!

As I said I admit to being a spotter and there is nothing wrong with that. Alot of people enjoy it and lets face it, someones got to do it!!

Back to what I asked originally, regardless of where it was originally posted, is anyone able to help?

Oshkosh George
14th Oct 2006, 10:54
Well,yes I can!

I just searched for 'Tornado TL' on Google and found a RIAT Fairford 2003 listing with TL as ZA463.

You just have to know how to use the internet! :) :ok:

EDITED to say that I now notice thay it was 15 Sqn marks,but I think the aircraft code was specific to individual aircraft by then and not the Squadron? Am I correct? Which would mean it later went to 56 SQN?

REF
14th Oct 2006, 12:11
Thanks George, But I am looking for a Tornado F3 not the GR4

http://images.fotopic.net/yjvedr.jpg

RAF Akrotiri, 18th November 2003

hobie
14th Oct 2006, 16:33
You all knew what would happen when this thread would eventually be let loose on the military aircrew forum....

I guess the RAF Pilot I knew best was my father (who also flew fighters for a living) and and I can assure REF that his question would have received a polite and reasonable answer if he (my father) had been in a position to answer (subject to any applicable restrictions) ....

Come to think of it My Grandfather (rtd SQD LDR) would have also offered a civilized response had he been in a position to do so .....

I can't imagine genuine guys over in Military Aircrew would behave any differently ..... :ok:

EGAC
15th Oct 2006, 03:02
Spotters cover a wide spectrum.

Some are number-crunchers and nothing more.

Some are VERY knowledgable about various areas within aviation.

Some are active pilots, military and civil.

Irrespective of the exact status of the aviation-minded inquisitor, civility in answering costs nothing - repeat - NOTHING.

I would sincerely hope that PPruNers comprise an adequately broad church AND are sufficiently interested in the promotion of aviation generally to treat all posters politely and with the same respect they would wish to see accorded to themselves.

Rhys S. Negative
15th Oct 2006, 21:24
REF,

Air-Britain News for December 2003 gives a run-down of the F.3 fleet allocation 'circa 29th October', in which ZE293 is shown as TL with 56(R) Sqn.

HTH,

Rhys.

REF
16th Oct 2006, 18:12
Rhys

Thanks for that, really appreciated.

Rick.